Gibson Brands Forums

Gun advice

Thundergod

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the best part of this thread, like many others, is that the OP asked for a recommendation on a SD/HD firearm....and eventually the antis showed up with their usual arguments. The OP didnt ask for a ethics discussion; i guess we cant help ourselves.

i think the best part of this thread' date=' like many others, is that the OP asked for a recommendation on a SD/HD firearm....and eventually the antis showed up with their usual arguments. The OP didnt ask for a ethics discussion; i guess we cant help ourselves.[/quote']

And here I was about to post "But I just wanted to know what weapon I should buy"

You know... this is a guitar forum, and if asking about guns leads to this, then I don't want to ask about guitars, boys could get really mad then :-

And here I was about to post "But I just wanted to know what weapon I should buy"

You know... this is a guitar forum' date=' and if asking about guns leads to this, then I don't want to ask about guitars, boys could get really mad then :-[/quote']

fenders are for faeries. :-

Sure wish you could swing by the NeoCon Compound for a day of gunnin' fun!

We'd have you schooled in NO time and you could make good decisions on your own - and piss off the weenies.

:-/

You need to stop stereotyping.

I'm not what you'd expect.

My opinions don't sit well with a lot of people.

Your opinions cause problems?

If you spout off to people the kind of stuff you type here, I'm not surprised one bit....

Stereotyping?

How's this - Guilt ridden, consumed with teen angst, nobody understands you, least of all your folks.

Kids at school don't get it, and most of them don't care.

School is a waste of time, few of the teachers have any brains at all.

You wish you could move out on your own and make your own way with a job you actually like.

You're very much like I expect.

I've BEEN a pissed-off teen in a world that sucked.

I've raised teens of my own who went thru the same thing.

My closest friends have too.

Let me know when you have nearly 30 years of dealing with every *** hole who comes down the street.

Let me know when you've had to put up with bosses who would fxck you every chance they got - knowing you wouldn't quit your job or do anything about it because you needed the income.

Let me know when you send $50,000 a year to the fxcking government.

Let me know when there are no easy answers because some things just aren't black or white.

Let me know when you wish you were back at home and back in high school because it really wasn't so bad.

i think the best part of this thread' date=' like many others, is that the OP asked for a recommendation on a SD/HD firearm....and eventually the antis showed up with their usual arguments. The OP didnt ask for a ethics discussion; i guess we cant help ourselves.[/quote']

The world we live in.....:- :- ](*,)

Yeah JP,

I didn't wanna get too deep about getting married and having kids.

Your views on self-defense damned sure change when you're a husband.

I mentioned that a couple pages back, if you have no will to survive and preserve your ability to defend yourself then what good are you to those who love you? If you're gone - they're wide open to whatever fate brings them.

I would probably fight back' date=' but it would not be with a gun.

Planning ahead and buying weapons to help you in your moment of savage human instinct doesn't seem right to me.[/quote']

Would you keep a spare tire in your car?

Why?

Would you keep some money saved?

Why?

If you did, would you hope there never came a day where you actually NEEDED either one?

That's what my defensive firearms are.

I haven't had a flat on either of my trucks in years, but I wouldn't dare leave the house without a spare.

Doesn't mean I want to use it, but I have it and I know how.

Laney...

Actually Hickock proved rather conclusively (consider his contretemps with Dave Tutt at something of a distance) that even a .36 cal. ball could be quite effective if one maintains calm and actually makes haste with control.

So if you handled those Italian Navies fairly well... and as Hickock did with firing, cleaning and reloading nightly... there are some definite self defense advantages to the old Navy. It can be quite accurate, the Navy fits most size hands with a good "feel," and either ball or conical soft lead has little penetration of walls.

Some Italian barrels are quite good. My Remington .44 replica has little difficulty in hitting decently close to center one-handed on an 8-inch by 16 inch target at 40 yards with .45 cal lead cast for CAS in the Colt '73 rounds. In a worst case, it might dent a skull with either end. The more fragile Navy may better be used somewhat less violently.

As for children who believe they have the high ethical ground... One cannot argue with those who lack a comprehension of logic or rhetoric beyond repetition of a few platitudes. I'd suggest at least one youngster here read Aristotle on both logic and rhetoric. I had by the time I was out of high school.

And... also, yeah, some folks have used guitar strings to effect the death of others. Rather messy for sure, but effective. With training one might be surprised at how nasty many household objects can be.

m

Matt (Sear)' date=' no, if you're a grownup without psychological problems you'd take firearm ownership the same way you take automobile and kitchen knife ownership. Frankly unless there's a big discussion on the issue, you don't even think about the potential lethality, you simply use them as implements one must accept responsibility for as potentially dangerous.

But it's not something you obsess about, any more than owning a car or kitchen knife.

m

[/quote']

Good morning :)

I appreciate the above, but the normality in which you describe your attitude to firearms is almost as chilling as an unsound mind at large with one.

Matt

Matt...

For what it's worth, you should see how the media hushes up intentional homicide by motor vehicle and plays up those with firearms. Ditto knives. Every time one drives on a highway, one is within inches of death.

A druggie, drunk, cell phone user and other irresponsible and impaired people kills indiscriminately; it's a "secret" among many police that a surprising number of vehicle "accidents" are "go out in glory" suicides. Some are intentional homicide. And cars are easier to acquire than firearms, for certain.

Yet the rest of us think nothing of driving. You don't wanna know scenes I've seen of irresponsible vehicle use. Believe me, it's far, far worse than incidents of criminal or irresponsible firearms use.

We're inured to vehicle misuse, homicide and the secret suicides. We blame poor airbags or vehicle design. The real problem is people.

The most horrid murders I've reported on were committed, one with a tree limb, and the other with a toilet plunger. Etc., etc. unfortunately.

In the old days in the UK prior to, say, 1920, few thought ill of firearms any more than folks think ill of motor vehicles or kitchen knives today.

However, the current political climate makes such mention and commentary virtually impossible. But repeated lies are quite popular.

More children under 5 die drowning in toilet stools or five-gallon buckets than in swimming pools being drained for cleaning, but the US congress determined because of one media rush in one incient, every sorta public swimming pool as of this year has to have an anti kid-catching grate on its drain.

The fact became irrelevant that the real problem is parents not watching kids around toilets, buckets and draining swimming pools. And nobody wants an anti-child grate in every bucket and toilet that would save more lives.

Politicians need a target to make evil. Anglophone politicians have decided that firearms are the target, not any and every other cultural factor involved in personal violence.

These politicians prefer to enable bullies and violent crime than to enable the public to personal defense. Then they cover up contradictory evidence.

Your response is exactly what they hope for. It's the Athenians voting against a demonized Socrates. Or, I suppose, one might point instead to such as Adolph Hitler's quite successful "anti" campaigns...

Clausewitz joined the Russian Army during the Napoleonic wars because he was angry at his Prussian king who refused to arm the people against Napoleon on grounds he preferred the people remain used to being docile citizens as opposed to an empowered citizenry. I often wonder what might have happened had the military arts teacher been listened to...

m

Ha ha another profile picture!! :) Nice.

Not meant in a rude way to you Milod, but I am well aware of the doctoring of statistics that goes on. Very aware...

To reply to your lengthy post in a shorter one, much of what you say reminds me of my friends who don't want to give up smoking and say (about death from smoking) "well you could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow" or "more people die from drink"

In short- justification arguments.

You carry on your way and I will mine and may the common ground of music keep us on good terms! =D>

Matt

Archived