Gibson Brands Forums

Best truck/SUV for the money?

Gilliangirl

I have to buy a used truck or SUV to get me in and out of town every weekend. I just committed myself to taking care of an aging horse who lives way out of Calgary. My '83 Mazda won't make it plus it's a death trap on the road. I don't have a lot of money (who am I kidding, I don't have ANY money lol) but I need something reliable, good on gas, low on repairs. I couldn't care less what it looks like. I don't know what I should be looking for. I'm not trying to start a Ford vs Chevy war here but what should I be looking for? Chevy Blazer? Jeep Cherokee? Ford Explorer? It is absolutely critical that it's a good winter vehicle that can handle icy snowy roads. I'm leaning toward an SUV rather than a truck as trucks have no traction in the snow.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who am I kidding' date=' I don't have ANY money lol[/quote']

you and so many people.....

says ford for trucks....

he knows trucks.... he's a carpenter and needs to lug crap around a lot.....

The Ford F150' date=' Ford just released the new models and they are doing killer deals in this area. They are also the only one who didnt get a hand out, and the new Rapter is a Killer Truck.[/quote']

Guitarest, I'm thinking more like an old old SUV, around the $3000.00 mark. Those new Fords are worth more than my house! (j/k)

Karen...

A good used 4 liter Jeep Cherokee with a straight six is aok. Very, very good. They're quite popular around here and northwest South Dakota ain't that much different from Alberta. If you can't get around in the Cherokee, you probably need a sled or better, you probably shouldn't go.

A number of our rural mail carriers use the older body Cherokee in preference to any other vehicle on criteria of fuel efficiency, capacity, bad/off road capability and general decent operational costs - although nothin's cheap nowadays.

I just got a $300 bill for a 96 Cherokee 6 banger water pump replacement. Argh.

On the other hand, there are about 100 grand on the vehicle; the only other major maintenance costs have been tires and brakes.

You figure it.

m

Karen...

A good used 4 liter Jeep Cherokee with a straight six is aok. Very' date=' very good. They're quite popular around here and northwest South Dakota ain't that much different from Alberta. If you can't get around in the Cherokee, you probably need a sled or better, you probably shouldn't go.

A number of our rural mail carriers use the older body Cherokee in preference to any other vehicle on criteria of fuel efficiency, capacity, bad/off road capability and general decent operational costs - although nothin's cheap nowadays.

I just got a $300 bill for a 96 Cherokee 6 banger water pump replacement. Argh.

On the other hand, there are about 100 grand on the vehicle; the only other major maintenance costs have been tires and brakes.

You figure it.

m

[/quote']

i'm pushing 200K on the one i currently have As far as repairs I work on my own 4.0L is not hard to work on if you got the time that is.

Archived