Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Cruz?

matiac

Thank you, sir, it's definitely something I'm very proud of. It was made by Chris Benavente according to my design requests. He has since expanded his single-cut line to include some pretty awesome looking and sounding instruments.

I had it built to commemorate my Dad who passed away in '98. He spent 36 years in the service of his country and, in spite of his many careers and accomplishments after the Army, was always "The Colonel" , thus the eagle inlay. It was a very interesting and satisfying experience, selecting everything that would go into the instrument, from wood to hardware and color, from design of the body-core to the abalone purfling and tuners.

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

Eagle03.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

Purfling01.jpg

Eagle01.jpg

That is a badass guitar' date=' Cruz. The story makes it even better. What kind of pickups do you have in it?[/quote']

Thanks, Matt. I tried Wolfetone's and didn't care for them, put some Schaller Golden 50's in it and tapped 'em for single-coil and it worked great. I still think I'd like to try a convertible tail-piece that would allow me to use a stop or the string-through. With string-through, it's got a lot more sustain but it's also kinda twangy, which I'm not real crazy about. Not as noticeable with 11's but really twangy with 10's. Still sorta dialing it in. Might take a long time.

I like the background used for this particular composition. It's organic and that blue guitar just pops off that green background.

HPIM1033.jpg

I'm glad you put that up, Todd, thanks. I didn't wanna seem too showy. :-k/ :D/ :D/ :D/ I like the way the light worked in that shot, too, the blue really looks nice.

I was gonna ask you how she sounds, and ask why the holes for the strings are off-set like that? Does it help with intonation, or better put, not having to f@ck with it as much? You should put up a sound clip, so we can hear what she sounds like. Can't say enough about the looks, and it's BLUE!!!! I'm a sucker for a blue guitar.

I was gonna ask you how she sounds' date=' and ask why the holes for the strings are off-set like that? Does it help with intonation, or better put, not having to f@ck with it as much? You should put up a sound clip, so we can hear what she sounds like. Can't say enough about the looks, and it's BLUE!!!! I'm a sucker for a blue guitar.[/quote']

The pattern of the ferrules is something Chris started doing when he first started building guitars. I don't recall if he said there was any reason other than aesthetics. When we're done with our farming for the season I'm hoping to get away with some musician friends for a week-long jam. We WERE gonna go out on Lake Shasta but it may get too cold for houseboats and guitars. It may turn into a cabin trip up one of our rivers. Any road up, we're gonna do some jamming and recording and I'll be getting some clips of all my axes...you poor guys.

Thank you for your compliments, G&F, it's nice to know it makes a good impression on another picker.

Did you name it? The Colonel?

Funny thing' date=' I never really named it, per se'. I've always referred to it as "The Eagle". I like "The Colonel" and, if you don't mind taking credit for a fine official christening, that's what I name it as of this moment; "The Colonel". By the way, the blue is representative of his beloved Infantry. He was 2d US Infantry Division, jumping off at Omaha Beach on D+1. Spent the last 11 or 12 months in Oflag 64, Schuben, Poland.

[img']http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/Cruznolfart/Second%20Amendment/IMG_0755.jpg[/img]

Liberated in May of '45, met his future bride in August and married her in November...1945...just months after being a POW. They were perfect for each other, having 53 years together, 2 sons, 2 grandsons and 2 grand-daughters before Dad's time came. I simply could not have special-ordered parents better than the ones I got.

Thank you for thinking of the most obvious, perfect name for his guitar. It's about time. =D>

Funny thing' date=' I never really named it, per se'. I've always referred to it as "The Eagle". I like "The Colonel" and, if you don't mind taking credit for a fine official christening, that's what I name it as of this moment; "The Colonel". By the way, the blue is representative of his beloved Infantry. He was 2d US Infantry Division, jumping off at Omaha Beach on D+1. Spent the last 11 or 12 months in Oflag 64, Schuben, Poland.

[img']http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/Cruznolfart/Second%20Amendment/IMG_0755.jpg[/img]

Liberated in May of '45, met his future bride in August and married her in November...1945...just months after being a POW. They were perfect for each other, having 53 years together, 2 sons, 2 grandsons and 2 grand-daughters before Dad's time came. I simply could not have special-ordered parents better than the ones I got.

Thank you for thinking of the most obvious, perfect name for his guitar. It's about time. :)

What a story Cruz! And what a nice guitar! This is what makes this forum worth visiting for me! Thx buddy!=D>

Archived