Gibson Brands Forums

EMGs on a Les Paul

Silverbursted

I have EMGs in 2 les pauls... none of them is a gibson tho... with EMGs you dont actually need great wood' date=' they sound almost the same regardless of what your guitar is made of, so why waste a perfectly good gibby when you can install them on an epi.

[/quote']

I don't own an Epi, but actually am considering putting them in my Custom. Seems to work real well for some of my favorite artists.

By the way they are really easy to install and now they come in chrome/silver and gold' date=' and they sport coil splitting cappabilities.[/quote']

The appearance of them is the off putting feature about them... They sound ok..

The appearance of them is the off putting feature about them... They sound ok..

Flight959

It's funny, when I first thought about putting in a set, I was thinking, it would look pretty cool. Well after getting them in, I was a little less than blown away by the looks of black in a heritage burst. The gold EMGs weren't available at the time.

However, the sound IS what i was after. Well, the 81 in the bridge is anyway. I find the 85 in the neck a little too dark, even when I've tried running it with no tone cap at all.

I still go back and forth from time to time, putting the 490/498's back in. And, I'm sure I'll try something different in the not too distant future. Or better yet, maybe I'll find an affordable Std at the same time I have some extra cash.

IMG_2511.jpg

i think EMG are a good way to go if you are not happy with the tone you are getting. I have some EMGs in a Strat and to tell you the truth its one of my best sounding guitars I own. I run a 89 in the bridge and its very articulate and I love the tappable ability. I was wary of the whole EMG thing with all the negative buzz about them at first but I thought if they where good for Steve Lukather and David Gilmour I am sure they would be just fine for me. I say go for it.. You can always go back if you want.

This is the strat i was talking about

05-06-08_1635.jpg

This is the strat i was talking about

05-06-08_1635.jpg

Nice!

Hey man, do you experience any volume changes when selecting between the single and humbucker EMGs on that strat? One of the things I hate about fat strats it the increase/decrease in volume when you switch pickups... never gave it a thought but maybe with EMGs it's not an issue?

I have EMGs in 2 les pauls... none of them is a gibson tho... with EMGs you dont actually need great wood' date=' they sound almost the same regardless of what your guitar is made of, so why waste a perfectly good gibby when you can install them on an epi.[/quote']

That is more of a myth than anything IMO. I've owned several guitars with EMG's before and they have all sounded different. You can definitely tell between different woods and different wood qualities. Of course they still have that EMG tone but that's the same with every pickup wether it's passive or active.

I'm more of a passive fan but I do like EMG's at times.

EMG's will sound the same on the best wood of the world or on a guitar made of ****...

When someone has "#1 anti-EMG's poster" in their signature I doubt many will believe or care what they have to post about EMG pickups.

Like them or not they do interact with the wood type and wood quality of the guitar. They have their own unique tone like any other pickup does so saying they sound the same in any guitar can be stated about any pickup.

I was playing and no warning the sound died. Replaced the battery fixed. My fear would be the battery location on any guitar not made with these pickups from the factory

I sacrificed a cover and mounted a pair of terminals so I can check the voltage without taking things apart. Double sided foam tape holds the batteries pretty firmly. One of these days I'm going to try adding an actual battery compartment so I can change 'em without pulling the cover off.

I'm running mine at 18V for now but honestly my ears can't tell the difference. But that's a whole nuther debate.:-

IMG_2419.jpg

Nice!

Hey man' date=' do you experience any volume changes when selecting between the single and humbucker EMGs on that strat? One of the things I hate about fat strats it the increase/decrease in volume when you switch pickups... never gave it a thought but maybe with EMGs it's not an issue?[/quote']

yes i do... but I have the SPC and EX tone controls in my strat instead of the normal tone controls and them add more then enough boost to make the change not as noticeable...

Archived