Gibson Brands Forums

Who has the most Woody........

onewilyfool

Who has the most Woody.........sounding guitar out there? I guess the real question is when can you have too much woody

sound on a guitar. My neighbor does NOT like my L-20 at all, because of the woody sound. Being a small body guitar, I can get

where he is coming from. But I LOVE that woody sound. When the strings get old, it is a bit much, and almost sounds muffled

but just sounds great with Elixirs (after the mandatory two week break in period) I'm just wondering how your guitars are, woody

wise? That is really part of the Gibson sound, part of the mystique. Anyone play with strings to add or lesson the woody-ness?

My Taylor rings like a bell... sustains forever.

My Gibson AJ has those "Piano like basses" everyone always talks about and overtones as rich as molassas but with the typical Gibson woody type tone....

When it comes to a "Woody" sounding guitar, nothing will beat a ladder braced 45 year old Gibson as far as I am concerned.....

I should name this one "Woody" just because it is all boxy, blusey and very, very woody!

LG1CabinSM.jpg

lg1Bench.jpg

What the heck would an old man like me do with a woodie anyway?

My '69 Jubilee has really opened up in it's 40 years, and sounds sweet. It's a beater so has many cracks in the body,

(I play kinda hard, even when I'm alone).

Okay... enough double entendres?

Bob

I think it's hard to beat a J45 for woody tone in the mids. My songwriting compadre and producer has my former J45, and you've never heard such a woody sounding guitar after the strings have settled in. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Sub, i noticed the question mark after you're "writing about music..." quote-it's my favourite quote ever...so true. It is very Zappaesque, but actually came from the brilliant (anyone know why he's dodged a Knighthood for so long?) Mr. Elvis Costello.

Speaking of which, if I have any more GAS for his Century Of Progress model, something's gonna rupture!

I think it's hard to beat a J45 for woody tone in the mids. My songwriting compadre and producer has my former J45' date=' and you've never heard such a woody sounding guitar after the strings have settled in. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Sub, i noticed the question mark after you're "writing about music..." quote-it's my favourite quote ever...so true. It is very Zappaesque, but actually came from the brilliant (anyone know why he's dodged a Knighthood for so long?) Mr. Elvis Costello.

Speaking of which, if I have any more GAS for his Century Of Progress model, something's gonna rupture![/quote']

Thanks Jinder for the info about Zappa and Costello!!!

My Northwood 00-sized 12 fret slothead, cedar/maple, is the woodiest and driest sounding guitar I own. It has a very old-timey tone. Next would either be my Nick Lucas, sitka/maple, or my Martin Custom 12 fret, red spruce/mahogany.

I use nickel strings on all of them, which really increases the dry, woody tone.

Don't have a clue if they are the most woody sounding. But after some 45 years of playing Gibsons, the two I have with me have been the keepers.

My SJ has a woody and fat sound. A banjo killer of the first order. Alot of punch, quickness and midrange although there is a slight, middle of the road nasal sound in the upper mids.

My J-200 has a deeper and more resonant sound and is far more detailed sounding when played higher up the board than the SJ. Not quite as dry sounding as the SJ but warmer. A real chunky lower end and a peanut butter smooth response.

My two mid-1930s Kay's - both small body, round sound hole archtops. Perfect for some fingerpicked Piedmont blues and the best slide guitars I have ever run across.

Archived