Gibson Brands Forums

what is a 1966 lg gibson worth

marlamiller

What model is it' date=' do you have pictures ? Some Gibson guitars from that time could be worth $15,000 t0 $25,000 US Dollars[/quote']

well i have a serial number 369264 so i think it is a 1964 lg .My husband thought it was a 66.It has the slim neck on it.I took it to Kalamazoo,Mi and they put me a new bridge on it.the one that was on it was plastic and they put a rosewood bridge.the pick guard was gone and they put a new one on it.I am new to this sight so i will have to figure out how to post pic.

post this question on the acoustic forum. many members have one of the 4 lg models. there is the lg-0, lg-1, lg-2 and lg-3. i believe the lg-0 was all mahogany so the guitar would be all light brown in colour. the lg-1 and lg-2 were similar except for the braces inside the guitar. these two were usually sunburst in colour. i've seen them for sale on ebay. here is a general search result.

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=gibson+lg&_sacat=619

like i say, the people on the acoustic side know it all so don't be afraid to ask them. they're pretty nice, too.

Sounds like an LG1, as 99.9% of them had this cheap plastic bridge replaced by a wood one after it cracked.

$800 seems like a fair market value for this vintage entry model.

I am looking at a 1967 myself, in pretty good overall condition (and with a replaced wood bridge) offered at $899.

In case this helps...

I paid $1100 for my 1964 Gibson LG1 and then spent another $500 to have the neck reset, new bone saddle cut and installed and a K & K mini western pickup system installed.

It is a great old piece of Gibson history and I am proud to be the owner. It has been the one I pick up first since I got it last April. I have seen them listed in a local guitar store for about $1800 in worse condition than mine. LG2 and LG3 models tend to get more also as they are "X" braced while the LG0 and LG1 were ladder braced. It is exactly that ladder braced tone I was looking for to play fingerstyle blues.

Here are some photos of mine....

lg1Bench.jpg

LG1Closefront.jpg

LG1FIreSM.jpg

I paid $1100 for my 1964 Gibson LG1 and then spent another $500 to have the neck reset' date=' new bone saddle cut and installed and a K & K mini western pickup system installed.

It is a great old piece of Gibson history and I am proud to be the owner. It has been the one I pick up first since I got it last April. I have seen them listed in a local guitar store for about $1800 in worse condition than mine. LG2 and LG3 models tend to get more also as they are "X" braced while the LG0 and LG1 were ladder braced. It is exactly that ladder braced tone I was looking for to play fingerstyle blues.

Here are some photos of mine....

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/lg1Bench.jpg[/img]

LG1Closefront.jpg

LG1FIreSM.jpg

That looks just like the one we have.I have tried to post the pictures of it but can not get it to work.I did get it to go to my facebook page marla miller.I paid 3.00 at a church rummage sale for this guitar.That was about 15 years ago.My dad took it up to Kalamazoo for me.but don't remember if they said it was a lg1

It should have a black ink stamp right inside the soundhold on the back. In the photo above you can see it. If it's an LG1 - that'll be what's stamped. If it had a black plastic bridge, it most likely was. Somtimes they cracked, sometimes they lifted. Mine stayed put, so I just replaced the plastic saddle with bone. If yours is in good shape, it'll be worth more. Finish checking can be a plus for those who want their guitar to look old with mojo, as opposed to those who want it to look like new. You can't be 100% sure of the year from the serial numbers. I bought mine in '64 and the sn/year lists I've seen say '66. G'luck.

I paid $1100 for my 1964 Gibson LG1 and then spent another $500 to have the neck reset, new bone saddle cut and installed and a K & K mini western pickup system installed.

The pic of your LG by the fire pit kinda scares me!!!:-

Thanks for your input, I guess I should jump on that 67.....

That looks just like the one we have.I have tried to post the pictures of it but can not get it to work.I did get it to go to my facebook page marla miller.I paid 3.00 at a church rummage sale for this guitar.That was about 15 years ago.My dad took it up to Kalamazoo for me.but don't remember if they said it was a lg1

$3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pic of your LG by the fire pit kinda scares me!!![-o<

Thanks for your input' date= I guess I should jump on that 67.....[/quote]

I made sure the guitar was VERY safe and took all of about 10 seconds to get the shot before I had the guitar back in my hands! =D>

I posted something in your thread about the 67, but just remembered too that at some point after my 1964 was built, Gibson started using a skinnier neck on some LG's. I don't think I could go much skinnier than the 1 11/16th that my Gibson LG1 has. It works for me because it is somewhat beefy along the back of the neck which helps. I am more used to a 1.75" neck like my Taylor or the 1.725" neck on my Gibson AJ. It only takes a few seconds to adjust to my LG1 though. Just thought I should give you a heads up in case you like thick necks. You might want to ask the store owner the nut width.

I have never seen any mid-1960s Gibson acoustic valued in the $15,000 to $20,000 range unless it was owned by Pete Townsend or something.

Taylor Player is right about a change in neck profile. The necks got a bit slimmer in 1960. Then in 1965 Gibson went to automatic neck machines which not only turned out a thin neck but reduced the headstock angle from the traditional 17 degrees to 14 degrees. Not considered the wisest design change Gibson ever made.

As for value, I would do a search of completed eBay auctions and also see what guitar stores are selling them for (although they will ask more than you would in a private sale).

Good Luck

It should have a black ink stamp right inside the soundhold on the back. In the photo above you can see it. If it's an LG1 - that'll be what's stamped. If it had a black plastic bridge' date=' it most likely was.[/quote']

My LG-0 has no stamp, and had a plastic bridge...

The major difference between the LG-0 and LG-1, from what I've seen, is the finish and the pickguard. The LG-0 is generally a natural finish, or a walnut stain, while the LG-1 has a sunburst. The LG-0 also has a screwed-on pickguard, while the LG-1 is a standard glued-on pickguard.

Archived