Gibson Brands Forums

We're bonding...

EddieDean

I'm really starting to bond with my H'Bird here lately. I know it's not much of an excuse for a thread, but the more I play her, the more I like her. She's a little less forgiving than other guitars I've had, and have, but there's no substitute for the sound.

You can here ever single note in a chord if you listen, and if one is missing, you can tell that, too. I think it's making me a better player....and Lord knows I need that!!

I've even gone to using a picture of her for my desktop. (of course Photobucket won't let me upload the actual size...800x600 max)

DSC00296_800x600.jpg

NIce pic. Nice Guitar!!

Looks like that fretboard is a bit dry. I get a Les Paul Studio Premium Plus a few months ago and mine also had that whitish looks to it like it had been dusted with talc.

I used some Fretboard Honey fretboard honey

Made me feel better that the rosewood was happy, but also gave the wood a beautiful color !

Not sure why new Gibsons fretboards come like that .

Thanks for the comments!

nodehopper,... it does look a little dry in this picture, but what you see here is almost not visible with the naked eye, plus I think the sepia photograph exaggerates it a little. About every 6 months or so, I clean the fretboards with 0000 steel wool and then barely dampen a soft cotton rag(sock) with lemon oil and rub the oil into the board. Then wipe it down with a dry rag. Looking at this photo, it might be time to hit this one with the oil at least. I don't think it's ready for the steel wool, yet.

This is basically the same photograph taken in color, rather than sepia.

DSC00282_800x600.jpg

Thanks, fellas, and yes...I had to get the truss-rod cover. It just didn't seem right with the blank one...

TWilson, I don't have any HQ shots of the whole body, but here's a pretty good shot of the other end of the fretboard, and a plain shot of the full 'bird.

DSC00157a.jpg

DSC00306_800x600.jpg

DSC00155a.jpg

DSC00152a.jpg

EddieDean-Thanks, the photos are great. Now that's a beauty of a Gibson. I normally prefer round shouldered dreads but this one seems to have me thinking that there's room for these square shouldered beasts also! By the way, how do you like your Epi 12-string? I was looking for one to try out last year but couldn't find one. I'm gassing hard for a J-200 'burst now so I must save all my spare sheckles for that. Great 'Bird!!

Thanks for the compliments, I really do like this 'bird.

TWilson, I actually have a 12-FRET, not a 12-string. It's a fingerstyle version of the Epi Masterbilt AJ-500. main differences include 12th fret body joint, 1.75" nut width, slotted headstock, and a fairly pronounced V-neck....oh yeah, and it has a Cedar top w/ Rosewood back and sides. I like it a lot , although it seems suited more for fingerstyle than strumming. It's a cannon, but it doesn't seem to like weather changes much.

AJ500RC_1.jpg

Thanks Eddiedean-Yeah, I meant 12-fret. I didn't realize I'd written 12-string until I just read your post. I really like the slotted headstock on a steel string guitar. I'm sure your 'bird would kick some serious butt in a comparison. Both are nice looking in their own ways.

Ok,....I see....and that also explains why you couldn't find one to play. I waited for 2 months for this one to come in stock at AMS, and as soon as I bought it they were out of stock again.......that was 3 or 4 months ago and they're saying Feb. before they get any more. They are hard to come by right now.

And in custom sepia finish ! Very smart comment.....:)

I don't get it. What are you saying? On the old board when Eddie bought the Bird on eBay that we were all wondering why his TV didn't come with the "HUMMINGBIRD" truss rod cover. So I was commenting on the fact that he completed his Bird (I would've done the same thing).

I took no offense in any of the comments. True' date=' my 'Bird didn't have the proper truss-rod cover when I bought it, but the one that's on it now came straight form Bozeman,....not an after-market TRC.[/quote']

Thanks Eddie, I'm glad you know I meant no offense in pointing that out, just glad that you got the TR cover. It looks really cool with the update.

Archived