Gibson Brands Forums

Impossible to get bad Tone with a Les Paul

bluesguitar65

I'm just so amazed on how easy it is to get a great tone on a Les Paul. I have a 2008 Les Paul Standard and it is damn amazing guitar. I made a youtube video playing it using three different microphones and each one sounds equally amazing even with different sounding microphones. I plugged it in with a Vox AC4TV 4 watt all tube amp and crank the volume to about 7 and it sings.

Check it out and tell me what you think, and which microphone do you like better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEf5QymlprQ

I'm just so amazed on how easy it is to get a great tone on a Les Paul. I have a 2008 Les Paul Standard and it is damn amazing guitar. I made a youtube video playing it using three different microphones and each one sounds equally amazing even with different sounding microphones. I plugged it in with a Vox AC4TV 4 watt all tube amp and crank the volume to about 7 and it sings.

Check it out and tell me what you think' date=' and which microphone do you like better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEf5QymlprQ

[/quote']

You know what, it's not impossible to get bad tone with a pro level guitar, it's only that nothing beats the tone and quality that comes out of PC spekaers, specially if they are the laptop type. :-

Just kiding.

Actually it's prety hard to get a gibson les paul, sg or a telecaster and stratocaster to sound bad.

You can get a gretsch and a rick to sound awful mostly because of the pickup response and characteristic tone, but a gibby or a fender? it's really hard to do (and still some guys manage, they must be real geniuses!)

That's the main difference between cheap guitars and pro guitars: the first can give you good tone if you know how to set it up, the second will give you great tone even if you suck at setting up the rest of the stuff.

I figured the B mic was the 57 - very mid-range focused. I liked it better than the first one - but I actually liked the last one best - more mids than the Snowball but a little more sizzle than the 57. Might have to get one of those.

You know what' date=' it's not impossible to get bad tone with a pro level guitar, it's only that nothing beats the tone and quality that comes out of PC spekaers, specially if they are the laptop type. [-o<

Just kiding.

Actually it's prety hard to get a gibson les paul, sg or a telecaster and stratocaster to sound bad.

You can get a gretsch and a rick to sound awful mostly because of the pickup response and characteristic tone, but a gibby or a fender? it's really hard to do (and still some guys manage, they must be real geniuses!)

That's the main difference between cheap guitars and pro guitars: the first can give you good tone if you know how to set it up, the second will give you great tone even if you suck at setting up the rest of the stuff.[/quote']

Well....to me, "Tone" is more in the fingers, and the AMP! Gretsch and Ric guitars sound fantastic, with the right AMP settings....as do Fenders,

Gibson's, Epi's, and most other professional grade guitars, providing the player knows what he or she is doing...IMHO.

CB

With my professional grade built into monitor HP speakers, it's easy to tell that "C" sounds best. LOL Who knows how it would sound coming through real speakers. Good job on the demo.

Also, bad amps & bad settings (especially too much gain) & too many pedals in the wrong positions can ruin tone. Even with the wonderful Les Paul.

It's NOT what you play, it's HOW you play it.

Playing an LP (or any other guitar for that matter) is like having a second voice, some people can make them sing beautiful and clear, while others make them sound like nails on a chalkboard, and that's with the SAME exact setup. This is one thing that makes LPs so great! They're VERY temperamental.

I figured the B mic was the 57 - very mid-range focused. I liked it better than the first one - but I actually liked the last one best - more mids than the Snowball but a little more sizzle than the 57. Might have to get one of those.

Yes, Sample C sounds like it is a cross between sample A and sample B. How did you do with your results?

Archived