Gibson Brands Forums

New amp day!!!

Silverbursted

A couple of weeks ago I decided that I NEEDED a bigger sounding amp. So I put my trusty Marshall JCM 2000 on the auction block. Meanwhile I went shopping, after sampling a dozen or so amps I decided that I narrowed it down to the 50 watt Marshall VM or a JVM 205 both as 2x12 combos. After my experience from last weekend at Sam Ash, I decided to go to GC and test drive some amps. When I walked in the door, I asked for both of these amps; they didn't have any of what I wanted in a combo format, but they did have the VM, JVM 205, 210 and 410 in head/cab. So I sat down in front of each and A/B/C and D'd each. As I am sorting though the various tones of each, I find myself spending the majority of my time in front of the 410 (a 100 watt 4 channel monster). I found it was actually easier to get the tones I liked on it then any of the others, and it sounded phenomenal even at low volumes!!! My decision was made, I came home, hit eBay (already had at least one of each tagged to watch) and hit the BIN on a new JVM 410c.

I am completely ecstatic about this new amp, can't wait to get my paws on it.

Nothing will give you a big tone like more output tubes and sheer wattage. I have absolutely no need for the output of a 100w amp with my band but the sound I get out of it is like... BOOM!!! THUD!!! WHAM!!! GRRAAAAAAUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!

Or something like a scene out of the old Batman series.

Sounds like you'll be having fun in a few days... post pics when you get it. Congrats!

I "think" on those amps that have a 1/2 power switch they are doing so by only using 1/2 of the powertube vs. the whole tube which is why the sound may not be as good.

Archived