Gibson Brands Forums

Help -- Can't seem to keep my '61 RI tuned

joesnewmatch

Well' date=' my Nut Sauce arrived in the mail last night (couldn't find any at the local GC). Changed the strings and applied. We'll see tonight how the new strings and sauce affect the tuning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, on a similar, but different note, the only way I manage to get my '61 buzz free is to adjust the truss rod and bend the neck more than my usual flat (Fender) necks. Is this a common issue with these thin necks? Is that the best solution or should I try raising the bridge? And, yes, it has been professionally setup and adjusted, including a fret leveling, etc. [/quote']

I'm not an expert but have you ever heard the expression "set it up like a blues player" some say that, because a lot of, well some, blues players mainly play up around the first half of the neck and the middle. If you set an axe for more releif, there is more room in around the 3-5 and 7-9 area for the string to vibrate, allowing you to lower the action in that area but will actually screw it up a bit higher up. I personally run on the a little more releif side my self, even on all my rock hard maple's. Overall the neck with a little releif wins over a flat set-up neck every time for the lowest overall action, and is actually safer, you never want to under bow a neck especially the fender style maples, it's a nightmare to try and get-em back flat or to go to a slight bow.

Just my 2-cent's worth

Archived