Gibson Brands Forums

Help me audition for college

Nick Beach

I don't know what to play for the Berklee audition. I can't seem to find one song that represents me well. I was thinking of playing nothing else matters by metallica but I think it's to easy. I want something that would impress them but I want to play something personal to me. Right now it looks like I'm doing Hungarian Dance #5, and that is not my style at all. Please help.

I don't know what to play for the Berklee audition. I can't seem to find one song that represents me well. I was thinking of playing nothing else matters by metallica but I think it's to easy. I want something that would impress them but I want to play something personal to me. Right now it looks like I'm doing Hungarian Dance #5' date=' and that is not my style at all. Please help.[/quote']

I think Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5 would be absolutely awesome. I assume it would be done with a neoclassical approach?

It is recommended to seek the guidance of your private instructor and/or musical mentor when selecting your prepared piece. Here are some examples and additional guidelines that may help when selecting your prepared piece:

A tune from a well-known artist or band (any style)

A standard or jazz tune (which may include blues and rhythm changes) with your own improvisation

A composition from the instrumental/voice repertoire or a movement' date=' sonata, concerto or etude

A transcription of a well-known artist's solo[/quote']

So that what they recommend anywhere from 3-5 mins. So far I've been working on Brahms song. Any new ideas or advice?

So that what they recommend anywhere from 3-5 mins. So far I've been working on Brahms song. Any new ideas or advice?

hmm.. im just spitballin here so dont thrash me bout it...

may not require enough skill

Chitlins Con Carne- SRV

kinda latin jazz kinda stuff really great song

4 mins long

Hi Shredbringer

Do you have a teacher? If not, maybe a consultation lesson would be a good idea?

As well as being a good 'dummy run', for the audition, you will also get some advice about the suitablility of your piece and also find out what you need to improve upon.

Additionally playing your chosen piece as many times as possible would be a very good idea... Open mic sessions, family events etc etc

If you have done any of the above just ignore me rattling on :-& , but please let us know how it went!

Matt

Archived