Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums


Andre S

Recommended Posts

Easy answer?




Now, you're mixing up your terminology.

An archtop is an animal all its own, sort of an acoustic with pickups.


BIG $$$$$$



A semi-hollow like the 335 is often lumped in with that group, but they have a variety of solid blocks under the top. That's what enables you to put bridge posts and tailpiece studs in the top of the guitar.


Many were adorned with long tailpieces of various types for cosmetics but were often not needed.

The Bigsby was commonly used.


Here's my Guild Starfire III, note the bridge posts that are drilled into the block inside the body.

From the factory it simply slid around on the top, so I had it pinned to the block inside.

That's where it stops, it's hollow behind the bridge, so the Bigsby hooks over the back with the strap pin.

It simply lays against the top with a felt pad under it.






The Les Paul is a carved top. Big difference.

It's a solid hunk of wood carved down to yield the desired curvature.


So, are you wanting to put a Maestro like this on a Les Paul?





The ones made these days won't work because they screw directly to the flat top of the guitar.

The SG is a flat slab.



Keep in mind that the long tailpiece is not integral to the actual taco shell spring steel trem.

Many were made without the long cosmetic tail that my SG has.

They would work if you could find one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a pic I stole from Guitar Junkie.


No tailpiece' date=' just the bridge by itself.


It might work, I dunno.




Yea, I thought it might fit on the les paul after seeing this picture:




this one (my favorite )




and more famously




I thought it would work, because I thought, that the ES-335 and Les Paul both had similarly arched tops. ( the long tail one)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...