Gibson Brands Forums

Identifying my Goldtop

bradleyny

I just picked up a used Custom Shop 1957 Goldtop Les Paul Reissue and I was wondering how to tell if it is a Historic Reissue or a VOS Reissue. I went to the Musicians' Friend website, but it was no help. I was able to date it as a 2004 model, based on the serial number information on the Gibson support page, but how do I tell which one it is? Regardless, I am very happy with the guitar, and got a really good deal on it. I just want to know how much of a good deal I got. Any information would be a huge help. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes VOS started in 2006 (its just the chemical film they spray on to make the instrument look older). Some people polish it off, others like the aged look it gives. Yours, like my 2005 will be a 'Shiney' or 'Gloss'. You have to pay extra these days to stop them from being sprayed! Yours will have BurstBucker 1 & 2 pickups as well as CTS pots (500k linear vol and tone) and bumblebee caps. It'll also have a thin pickup selector ring and jack plug plate. In 2006 Gibson also started 'Plekking' their historics (a computer-controlled machine that accurately levels the frets).

How about posting some pics of your GT?!

Congrats on getting such a great first Gibson! I play a variety of guitars but love the mojo of the GT!

Here's a pic of Skydog (Duane Allman) with his Gold Top (the one that recorded LAYLA with Derek & The Dominos). I think its currently for sale ($750,000 was mentioned). I hope yours cost a little less!

duanegoldtop.jpg

Is it normal to buy a NEW R7 that was built in 06 from GC or MF? I just bought one this last weekend from GC and noted that the serial number was 7 6***. It doesn't really make a difference, because I found my dream guitar, I was just curious if Gibson keeps them in a warehouse and judiciously doles them out every once in a while. =D>

I was just curious if Gibson keeps them in a warehouse and judiciously doles them out every once in a while. =D>

Interesting, my Jan 2005 R7 Gold Top was purchased in Aug 2007 but who knows how long the store may have had it. Mine is my dream guitar too!

Silverbursted: Is there any difference between 2006 or 2008 specs? VOS and Plekking came in 2006, so your guitar may well be most 'modern' vintage spec (pardon the oxymoron)?

Anyway, I'm really glad you've bonded with your Gold Top! I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't get mine out of its case daily, and I positively can't wait for our weekend gigs and midweek band rehearsals! I'm off to have a little strum right now!

Archived