Gibson Brands Forums

FEEL THE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eeh1

Oooo I'd love to fix that baby! Eminently fixable, but not at that price. You could fill the holes in the top with spruce plugs and repair the lift opening in the top/side and I bet that guitar would sound wonderful. Lots o' mojo!

Looks like it's right up KSDADDY's alley. But' date=' not at 2 bills. Sheesh where do these people get off?[/quote']

This is a pretty rare and desirable guitar. Only a few hundred of the originals were made and pristine examples are almost impossible to find. This one needs work, but still very repairable. And, it still retains much of it's originality, always a good thing (and if the ad is to be believed). Once the work is done, hopefully by an expert, it will be worth much more than the current bid. Wish I had the money. The originals are reputed to be great guitars, though I've never had the pleasure of playing one. TM, any idea of it's worth once repaired? I seem to recall seeing a few examples on gbase in excellent condition for something like 12 bills. I would think this one would be considerably less, maybe 6-8K?

Well, to begin with it has had a rheostatectomy, that while the holes can be filled, will never be 'right.'

Same with the in the hole pick-up scar. The pick guard might be repairable to a point of invisibility, but would require real artistic intervention.

The missing chunk of sound hole betwixed 10 and 11 o-clock can be filled with a bit of dental work, but like the rheostatectomy, I don't think it will ever be transparent. The back is pulling loose, but the fix will probably be academic, but it probably sufferes from some other brace issues.

The rest is mojo and should be left as is.

I'm not sure all that work will get recouped, even at 2K, going on 2.5K.

That's such a sweet looking guitar I think I'd play it as is!

It's earned it's bruises. I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

I agree about the "bruises", but that gap opening in the top/back would have to be closed IMO. It might just be binding, but it looks like the back is separated a bit.

That's such a sweet looking guitar I think I'd play it as is!

It's earned it's bruises. I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

So would you leave the spliced G string intact?

I just noticed this. Between tuner spindle and nut, the previous owner wired two pieces together. If splicin' guit tar strings ain't indicative of hard times, I don't know what is.

I agree about the "bruises"' date=' but that gap opening in the top/back would have to be closed IMO. It might just be binding, but it looks like the back is separated a bit.[/quote']

Oh God yes, any structural stuff would have to be dealt with, but I'd be afraid of mucking up the cosmetics of the non-essential things like the pot holes. I had a '68 Dove last year that was frighteningly similar as to damage, and I agonized over it with an airbrush and cherry stained lacquer trying to hide the plugged holes while keeping the patina of the surrounding area.

The more repairs I do, the more I realize when I'm out of my league. I see that as a good thing.

This is a pretty rare and desirable guitar. Only a few hundred of the originals were made and pristine examples are almost impossible to find. This one needs work' date=' but still very repairable. And, it still retains much of it's originality, always a good thing (and if the ad is to be believed). Once the work is done, hopefully by an expert, it will be worth much more than the current bid. Wish I had the money. The originals are reputed to be great guitars, though I've never had the pleasure of playing one. TM, any idea of it's worth once repaired? I seem to recall seeing a few examples on gbase in excellent condition for something like 12 bills. I would think this one would be considerably less, maybe 6-8K? [/quote']

Dennis

Where's you Norlin J45 in your list?

Has it fallen from favour?

BR

John

Oh God yes' date=' any structural stuff would have to be dealt with, but I'd be afraid of mucking up the cosmetics of the non-essential things like the pot holes. I had a '68 Dove last year that was frighteningly similar as to damage, and I agonized over it with an airbrush and cherry stained lacquer trying to hide the plugged holes while keeping the patina of the surrounding area.

The more repairs I do, the more I realize when I'm out of my league. I see that as a good thing.[/quote']

I agree with you about cosmetics. But with the holes in the top, wouldn't you be afraid of them becoming cracks? And with so many holes is the top in danger of waffling or becoming unstable? I wonder if somehow treating the inside of the holes with some lacquer or something might help?

I'm just curious. Looks like an amazing guitar with plenty of mojo. I bet it sounds sweet as it is.

Well' date=' to begin with it has had a rheostatectomy, that while the holes can be filled, will never be 'right.'

Same with the in the hole pick-up scar. The pick guard might be repairable to a point of invisibility, but would require real artistic intervention.

The missing chunk of sound hole betwixed 10 and 11 o-clock can be filled with a bit of dental work, but like the rheostatectomy, I don't think it will ever be transparent. The back is pulling loose, but the fix will probably be academic, but it probably sufferes from some other brace issues.

The rest is mojo and should be left as is.

I'm not sure all that work will get recouped, even at 2K, going on 2.5K. [/quote']

Agree with you about all the work it needs, and probably more besides. Still, a very cool and relatively rare guitar. The known's can be fixed very well by someone like John Arnold or Dennis Berck. True, some things maybe can't be repaired to be to a state where they're not noticeable, but for a players guitar with a lot of mojo, I don't think that matters too much. It would be though what keeps it in the 6K range and not in the 12-14K stratosphere. I guess it's all a matter of perception as to its worth, but if you could get it for around 3K, I think it probably would still be worth it, even given some possible unknowns. Just my opinion, but I've seen some desireable guitars in much worse shape sell for more. On the other hand, the market for J-185's will be pretty limited. We'll see.

Dennis

Where's you Norlin J45 in your list?

Has it fallen from favour?

BR

John

Hey John. I think you must have me confused with some other Dennis. My J-45 was a '97, not Norlin era, and it sold long ago to help fund the Southern Jumbo.

I was thinking it would go for $4200. There is a late 50s J 185 on gbase for $5900 that was originally listed for $6900 probably could be had for something less than $5900 given slow guitar sales. It also has the OHSC which is worth $300.

Probably will make someone a nice guitar. I bought a 1951 J 185 last March after a 30 year search, they were always hard to find and expensive when you found one. I bought it on reputation alone since I have never had my hands on one. It has lived up to it's reputation as one of Gibson's finest.

I'd rather have that J185 than several of the Gibsons that I own.

I also own a 1996 blonde J 185, a nice guitar but doesn't have the sound of the 51.

Did any one here get that guitar?

Terry

Terry, did you ever sell that unfinished Gibson with all the holes?

No I thought it was sold, sitting in the other room waiting to be finished by someone other than me. Send me a note if you are interested.

Terry

Archived