Gibson Brands Forums

What Pick ups should be in my '90 Lester?

Spot

Hi Guys,....Question for you early '90's LP Standard owners & experts. I'd really appreciate your insight.....

I took my latest purchase, my '90 LP Standard, to a local guitar shop to have my Machine head encasings repaired as they kept popping off.

The guy at the store said that he tried out the guitar through a few different amps and that he thought that the pickups sounded "muddy" and they were not "bright" enough for an LP?????? I haven't taken them out to see if they look to be original, but my question is:

Should they have "Gibson" marked on the inside as I often see on modern era humbuckers? What should I expect to see for a '90 model?

I'm thinking that the previous owner may have switched the originals out =D>

As he put a new set of strings on I'm not gonna take her apart for a few weeks but when I do I'll post some pictures of them for ya'll ;-)

Well first, you will more than likely have 300k Volume Pots. You may even have 100K Tone Pots as the 100K pots where used in the very late '70s thru the 80's. and may have filtered into 1990. I would have the Pots checked out for their values and maybe upgrade to 500K all around.

Just a thought. If you are good a soldering you can do this for less that $25 + the price of new caps to get rid of the ceramic caps which are tone suckers to begin with.

Around July '73 Gibson switched from 500K pots for all 4 pots to 300K volume pots (per their schematic). Wonder if this is roughtly the same time they switched to the ceramic caps which would make the guitar seem tinny/thin (at least to me) and the reason they went to 300k volume to cover up the ceramic caps sound. Makes one think.

I know I did not answer the question but this maybe the reason the pups sound muddy.

Hi Guys' date='....Question for you early '90's LP Standard owners & experts. I'd really appreciate your insight.....

I took my latest purchase, my '90 LP Standard, to a local guitar shop to have my Machine head encasings repaired as they kept popping off.

The guy at the store said that he tried out the guitar through a few different amps and that he thought that the pickups sounded "muddy" and they were not "bright" enough for an LP?????? [/quote']

I think the important question is: Do *you* think they sound muddy or otherwise don't care for the pickups that are in the guitar? If you like the way they sound, leave them. If not, provide an idea of what sort of sound you'd like and give a basis of comparison.

I asked the same question about my 1990 335. There were several pickups used in the late 80s and early 1990s.

Most would be the patented stamped 2,737,842, or the same pickup with the stickered patent number.The number that is on the sticker and the stamped pickups is actually a patent number for a Gibson bridge. The actual patent for the pickups was 2,896,491

They might also be the Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups. They have a mini circuit board on the back. Some had the original 57 classics in them. That was the beginning of the 57 classic era. You will be able to tell when you pull them out.

I like the ones I have a lot and I haven't pulled them to see. Maybe someday.

Can anyone shed any light on this???? O:)

They might also be the Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups. They have a mini circuit board on the back. Some had the original 57 classics in them. That was the beginning of the 57 classic era. You will be able to tell when you pull them out.

Ohhhhhh....just opened her up....and this is what I found

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

Were these stock for a 1990 LP Standard???? Not what I was expecting really....

Gotta read the replies, dude.

Thanks Rich: I was about to mention that to him. Yes those are standard in the 1990 Standards, they were also in several other models back then. Google" Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups" and you will get lots of information on them. Some liked them some didn't.

Edit: I tried to find more information on them but here is a link to the Les Paul forum.

Mike Slubowski is the premier collector of Les Pauls. IF you read the thread you will see what he has to say.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119901&highlight=circuit+board+pickups

Yes Stewie,... I did read,..... and greatly appreciate Rich's reply as I do everybodys posts and comments on this site. =P~

Stewie,...I'll Google Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups as suggested...

Thanks again guys!

You may find it dificult to get information. I belong to the Les Paul Forum and did a search on them. Most of the information you will get will be that they made them in those years. What you have to remember was that the whole pickup swap thing wasn't as prevalent in the 80s and 90s. You more or less got what Gibson gave you and it was called a hummbucker.

The people in the LP forum didn't seem to think they were very good, and gave the same description that fellow that you mentioned. I have an 1990 ES 335 and I really like the pikcups. I have not looked at them to see what they are. They do sound very much like my new Studio with the 490/498s. Since I have had my Studio I have really come to like that combo. Either way if you like the pickups who cares. If you do swap them out I would definitely keep them and with your guitar reaching 18 this year it won't be long before it will be vintage.

Archived