Gibson Brands Forums

Should I buy this Les Paul

zEr0

Hey guys first post here!

I guess I'll introduce myself before going to the point. My name is Fred and I live in Italy, Im a music student in COnservatory but Ive always been more into electric guitar playing than classical. For the last 5 years or so I've been playing Ibanez guitars with very fast necks and floyds and only lately I've found the joy of playing an aged Les Paul with a huge neck and a fixed bridge. I'm very impressed at how my Standard Les Paul can sound just as aggressive as most of my Heavy Metal shredders.

The problem is i'm not a rosewood lover. At all. Specially on clean sounds I cant stand it and if on top of that you add the fact that LP's dont have single coils....... well, lets just say that Im just as unhappy with my clean sound as Im happy with my distorted sound.

So I was thinking of a custom which has the ebony fretboard (by far my favorite board wood) and I came across this beauty:

http://www.customguitarcollector.com/photo/Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Custom%201976/

Im just loving the looks of it and Im sure it sounds reaaaaally hot but Im worried about those custom switches on the front. Do they devalue the guitar a lot (she's a 1976)?

Would you guys own this guitar, or should I wait for an original one?

later

Fred

pS excuse my poor english!!!

A 70s Les Paul Custom isn't a particularly high-cost guitar to begin with, from what I've seen, so I'm not sure what the switches will do to the value.

I will say, though, those are excellent pictures. They were actual size (or very close to it), and the definition made them look like the actual guitar was in front of me.

I'd play it and see if it speaks to you. If it does, get it, if it doesn't wait for something else. You may be able to get that single coil sound from it too - I'd guess that at least some of the switches are coil taps. Buying a guitar for future value makes sense only if you're going to put it behind glass and never play it.

Hi zEr0 and welcome. Don't mind those that give you the"Gibsons are not for you" crap. Gibson can do everything.

Try and feel the difference. For an ebony fretboard and heavy playing I would highly recommend this:

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Gibson-Les-Paul-GT-CO-Candy-Orange-inkl.-Case/art-GIT0014141-000

It has the fat neck, it has the most versatile electric system, it has the ebony fretboard.

It is your decision.

Ok maybe I havent explained myself clearly. I DO LOVE my Standard and how it plays (Ill post pics in another thread). Its the sound Im not too convinced about I just dont like the rubber sound of rosewood (that why I also use stainless steel strings, I enjoy bright sounds) and therefore I'd like an ebony board. That's all, I dont see what makes me such an obvious non-Gibson guy.

Im not buying the guitar for future value, I want something to play but my experience tells me you have to try lots of guitars before really understanding what each one is all about. I'd like to see how a custom sounds next to a standard.

DAS44: What's norlin?

what most of the folks here are trying to tell you is that the guitar you posted is what is referred to as "a player's" guitar. that means it has obviously been modified, and personalized to suit whoever owned it. and it is probably a good solid instrument. however, because it is not a "vintage" guitar or even a reissue (such as many Gibson Custom shop Historic models) it is unlikely to increase in value for resale.

if you enjoy playing it, that is all that matters really.

What makes you think a rosewood fretboard sounds any different from an ebony fretboard? Have you listened to a blinded comparison? You may hear a difference between two guitars but you'll never pick out which one has a rosewood fretboard and which one has ebony!

Man I Say Get That Thing. It Will Loose Some Value Because of the Dimarzio DP100 Super Distortion

Pickups That Have been Installed Along with the 2 Coil Taps That Split-em to Single Coils.

The 3rd Maybe is a pa-2 Boost or a Phase Throw

So what. Those are the Usual Upgrades and that thing Looks Nice.

Wish I Could Have it.

Funny I just ran the serial number through the Guitar Dater Project web site and it says that it was made on January 12th 2001

Did you use the vintage panel? Ink-stamp/decal on the back of the headstock, Made In USA, Electric Solidbody... it comes up as Kalamazoo/Nashville, 1976.

It comes up January 12 2001 if you don't enter the details.

All those switches probably have a coil-tap, so with that guitar you would have a single-coil. However, I would hold off until you play it and are perfectly satisfied with it. All the "upgrades" will most likely decrease the value, but also make it a hell of a lot more fun to play! Also, try a LP with P-90 pickups.

What makes you think a rosewood fretboard sounds any different from an ebony fretboard? Have you listened to a blinded comparison? You may hear a difference between two guitars but you'll never pick out which one has a rosewood fretboard and which one has ebony!

=D> +1

=D> +1

Guitar makers provide the choice because there is a difference. The harder surface of ebony provides a brighter attack, which is why most classical acoustics come with ebony fretboards. I prefer ebony which is what both my SG and LP have.

zEr0 - Looks great and the switching should allow you to select a pup setup you like. Would be nice if you could play it before making a buy. Good luck.

Did you use the vintage panel? Ink-stamp/decal on the back of the headstock' date=' Made In USA, Electric Solidbody... it comes up as Kalamazoo/Nashville, 1976.

It comes up January 12 2001 if you don't enter the details.[/quote']

OK then I guess I must have enter it wrong.

THX for the help guys its been really appreciated. The guy told me the switches are for a preamp that was installed in 1981, 1 switch boosts neck pickup for 4dB, secosn switch boosts bridge pickup for the same ammount and the 3rd one boost bass for both pickups for 4db.

No coil splitting so I've decided Im not gonna go with it, he's also asking 2600 USD which is not cheap I think.

That GT model you guys pointed out looks awesome, I'll have to wait until a second hand appears. The Zakk Wylde model also looks neat for a Metal head like me ](*,)

BTW after owning maaaaany guitars with rosewood and ebony boards you can really start to tell what each wood brings to the sound. So YES I CAN tell the difference.

I agree to a point with the ebony vs. rosewood I can feel and hear the difference on acoustic not so much on electric but I still prefer Ebony if I can't get Braz. so a lot of my guitars have ebony. Including my newest (a custom James Trussart Steel Deville). I also wanted a single Pickup Jr. and I wanted it in white with a ebony board for both tone and honestly looks so I got a Billy Joe Armstrong signature model not for his name but for the Ebony board on it.

If your willing to budge on the rosewood question at all you should look at the Traditional Pro, a new guitar with a great 60's style neck and coil tapped and uncovered zebra pickups both a 57 and BB pickups - great combination of looks, tone and feel all at a good price. it does have the rosewood board but all around it sounds pretty close to what your wanting. you could always have the fretboard replaced in Ebony then for under 3k you's have exactly what you wanted.

Guitar makers provide the choice because there is a difference. The harder surface of ebony provides a brighter attack' date=' which is why most classical acoustics come with ebony fretboards. I prefer ebony which is what both my SG and LP have.[/quote']

Rubbish! Guitar makers provide both rosewood and ebony because of cosmetics and hardness. Ebony has a greater hardness and doesn't wear quite as fast as rosewood. Most people prefer ebony for these reasons but it costs more, too.

Archived