Gibson Brands Forums

Should I buy this Les Paul

zEr0

Rubbish! Guitar makers provide both rosewood and ebony because of cosmetics and hardness. Ebony has a greater hardness and doesn't wear quite as fast as rosewood. Most people prefer ebony for these reasons but it costs more' date=' too. [/quote']

No disrespect man but how can you say that? Harder wood will most certainly result in a brighter attack.

Hi zero - everybody is talking about''Rosewood necks''and ''Ebony necks'' but in fact its the finger board not the neck,and its purely a visual thing, - most of the time the string doesnt touch the fingerboard in normal or even heavy play, its only the fret that the string touches, that previous post was right - in a blind 'pepsi' challenge , you'd never know the difference - good luck in your search, but maybe you'd be better off with an Ibanez Jem 7VWH Steve Vai Special.

Hi zero - everybody is talking about''Rosewood necks''and ''Ebony necks'' but in fact its the finger board not the neck' date='and its purely a visual thing, - most of the time the string doesnt touch the fingerboard in normal or even heavy play, its only the fret that the string touches, that previous post was right - in a blind 'pepsi' challenge , you'd never know the difference - good luck in your search, but maybe you'd be better off with an Ibanez Jem 7VWH Steve Vai Special.[/quote']

Yeah I've had many Jems. Not my kind of thing.

It doesnt really matter that the string doesnt touch the board. The board resonates anyway when you play your guitar doesnt it? That means it has an influence on the sound.

Archived