Gibson Brands Forums

Play guitar through earphones????

onewilyfool

At the special request of my wife and dogs, I have been asked to practice "privately" with earphones. My amp, doesn't have an earphone jack.....are there any portable, perhaps battery operated earphones that will allow me to practice in silence??? Thanks

Well my advice would be to browse the catalog at Guitar Center, or Musicians friend. There are a bunch of headphone practice interfaces. None of them in my opinion will sound as good as your amp, but most all of them will serve their purpose. Some have effects built in. Some are the size of a pack of smokes. A lot of variables. Just depends on what exactly you are looking for, and how much you want to spend. Radio shack even sells a device you can put on your amp to add a headphone jack to it. It's made for a TV without an earphone jack, but works on an amp as well.

I bought a used Danelectro Honeytone headphone amp on Amazon for $20 or so. I have an electric solid body that I use for those late night beerfests when my wife is sleeping. It even has built-in echo and distortion. It runs on one 9 volt battery, and I highly recommend it for an inexpensive solution.

Fast Trax makes a USB interface you can plug into the computer. It doubles as a recording interface, of course, and gives you access to jam tracks, effects and other helpful tools. Obviously, you can connect headphones to the computer - so this suggestion might help you in many ways.

Try an Epiphone SST Studio. You can plug your headphones direct into the jack socket. I know it's not a Gibson but I had one for a while and none of my wives nor dogs ever complained! Cool guitar, great to play and sounds good as well.

Archived