Gibson Brands Forums

Any quick clues to spot a Les Paul Supreme Fake?

theboogins

The serial number indicates that that guitar was built in 1995. From what I recall, the Les Paul Supreme wasn't put on the market until around 2003. The serial number itself looks legitimate though; perhaps what you're inquiring about is a Gibson Les Paul but not a Les Paul Supreme. Pictures would help.

It was definitely a "Supreme" had that special logo on the headstock.

Returned it to the guy since he lived right around the corner, there were pics in the ad on Craiglist but they are down now. I think think the guy I was dealing with got took on his end. I live in Atlanta area, he said he bought it in Austin TX around Xmas. $900, is the Magic number it seems.

Had the "U' shaped non-closed "O" -the Gibsun look.

Had off white pickup surrounds and frankly played pretty crappy. I have a 62' 345 and owned a 77 LP custom for awhile and the neck did not play like a Gibson-small to me. When I sighted down the neck, some of the frets seemed a little staggered on the edges.

Kind of felt sorry for the guy, cause when I went back I had to tell his wife why I was there-not good for him. I'm sure he's got some 'splaining to do over supper.

Thanks.

Jb

I'm glad to hear you avoided that one, too bad the other guy wasn't better informed. I have learned on the forums here that 2 of the quickest items to look for is the proper TRC, both shape and screw location. Also that the neck binding is onver the frets.

I'm glad to hear you avoided that one' date=' too bad the other guy wasn't better informed. I have learned on the forums here that 2 of the quickest items to look for is the proper TRC, both shape and screw location. Also that the neck binding is onver the frets.[/quote'] There have been quite a few fakes that actually have the proper TRC though. The one huge tell I haven't seen slip through yet is the bridge. There should NOT be "screws" on the posts of the bridge, that's Epi style, not Gibson.

Archived