Gibson Brands Forums

Heavy Head

Munro

Hello.

A few years back, I bought an Epiphone G-400 and found that the headstock dipped terribly. I returned it soon after. Does the Gibson SG Standard do this? Any strategies for restoring balance (ie: lead control covers).

Thanks.

I generally find that my left hand is strong enough to support the neck. My SG is my baby after all.

Sorry to be a smart A$$ but I have seen this topic many times on different forums and am always at a loss to figure out why this is a problem.

Do you sing or otherwise remove both hands from the guitar thus allow the guitar to slip? Seriously....Just curious.

Thanks. I don't sing, but it was an annoyance (with the Epiphone) to have the guitar move suddenly for the ground whenever I let go.

I acknowledge, though, that players grow into these sorts of things - muscles adapt - flaws are embraced as endearments.

It's a truly wonderful guitar is all other respects. I was just curious about whether the dipping was a product of budget manfacture (Epiphone) or inherent to the design (Epiphone & Gibson).

I was recently given the green light to buy a Gibson, $1000 to $1300 range. I'm down to the SG Standard and the LP Studio Faded.

Thanks again.

Munro.....

Here's my best advice if you want it...

I own a 2008 Les Paul Studio in Wine Red.

I own 2 SG Standards.

For the Money, I would strongly suggest you try them out on the same amp.

The SG has Great tone and Looks. The Binding is great as well.

My Les Paul has the slightest edge with treble and harmonics....But we're talking Finite!!

You can't go wrong with either, but a Standard Gibson such as the SG is a great investment.

Yep, my Epi G400 loved to dive, my SG Classic is a little less likely to dive. I agree with the swede strap though.

When I had my G400, between songs whilst talking about things, I'd just ease the head down and let 'er rest head down. I mean if you have to write down scores or something.

Hi Munro

I had a 61 RI that went for the ground all the time and understand what you saying. I got rid of the 61 and got a Standard and it doesn't do the head dive at all. I believe it is more of an issue with 61 RI than any of the other SG's. I'd also look for a used SG Standard prior to the time they started putting the PCB circuit board in the volume and tone. I think it started in 2008 and don't like it at all.

CW

I agree with cwness about getting a pre-PCB SG. I hate the PCB.

I don't have that problem with my SG and I don't use a leather strap (can't afford a good one)

I think the €pi might be more likely to dive because it has Grover Rotomatic tuners. I'm not sure how much the weight difference is from the Kluson-style ones on most Gibsons but I know the Rotos are heavy.

The '61 also has a larger headstock (not sure how much of a difference that makes either).

If I were you I'd get a Standard.. some prefer the feel of the faded finish though.

Hi Munro

I had a 61 RI that went for the ground all the time and understand what you saying. I got rid of the 61 and got a Standard and it doesn't do the head dive at all. I believe it is more of an issue with 61 RI than any of the other SG's. I'd also look for a used SG Standard prior to the time they started putting the PCB circuit board in the volume and tone. I think it started in 2008 and don't like it at all.

CW

Sorry this is a bit off topic, I just went to check my SG to see if I had a PCB in mine and it doesn't have one.

Are they that bad ?

Back to the thread ... I've never had any issue with neck diving , and I often lean over to writing notes while I'm practicing.

I do have a new leather strap though....

PCB

Are they that bad ?

They suck.

More than a little.

I played a few when they came out and hated the way they function.

Add to that the fact that you're screwed if there's a problem with a pot (my soldering skills would ruin the board) and the warranty/product support I've heard about from Gibson wasn't my idea of good.

Gimme pots and point to point wires.

By the way, I think the head dive with the Epi may be more pronounced because of the lighter, less dense body.

Gibsons tend to be heavier so the neck effect is negated somewhat.

The only SG I have that neck dives is the double neck.

Even my SG 12 is reasonably balanced.

Archived