Gibson Brands Forums

Bubinga Blues King?

strictlyamateur

Thanks, Andy. I just got this email from Gibson customer service: "The Blues King acoustic does have Bubinga back and sides with a spruce top. This was changed in 2006."

I've only heard Bubinga recorded - it sounds rosewoody, but clearer and smoother than East Indian - but how is the resonance? What I like about the Mahogany Blues King is that you can <i>feel</i> it when you play it. :-k

Unfortunately, I only had mine for a week before I had to head back over here to Iraq. So I didn't get to explore and compare it as much as I would have liked. But my initial impression was a nice middle ground between Mahogany and Rosewood. It retains the Rosewood sweetness and overtones, but at the same time it's pretty clear and articulate. On first impression I am very impressed. It had me from the first strum. I did change the stock plastic pins to Buffalo Horn. That helped the sustain and overall tone alot. Not sure what kind of playing you do. But I would say it's not quite as good for flatpicking as my D-18 style Mahogany, but is a great great rhythm guitar or strumming guitar for a singer. Doesn't quite have the sheer volume of my HD-28 but has a certain warm glowing tone that I really really like. So far I am really surprised and pleased. I had never heard a bubinga guitar before, but this one has made a believer of me.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/mtnfire1500/CIMG1749.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/mtnfire1500/CIMG1742.jpg

Andy

Many thanks, Andy. I'm a fingerpicker who also does some occasional strumming and flatpicking. My main guitar is a Martin 000-16SGT, but I've always wanted a Gibby too. A Blues King in Bubinga seems just about perfect to me. Now I gotta find one to play to see if it clicks with me.

Good luck over there!!!

Its funny...when you look at Gibson's detail page on the guitar...the photos only show the front and the headstock. Doncha think that when they change to a completely new tonewood that potential buyers would be intereted in what it looks like?

=P~

Hey, my L-00 - that I got from Eddie Dean who got it from Cameleye - is mid-year '06. I had always assumed it was mahogany. Looking at it now I think maybe it is bubinga! Holy cow, it sure sounds different now! Heh, heh. It's my favorite guitar. I have it strung up with John Pearse New Mediums (sort of in between medium and light). It's surprisingly loud for such a small guitar if you dig in. My Martin OM-21 has a slightly richer tone but the L-00 neck is way more comfortable to play for me.

Hey' date=' my L-00 - that I got from Eddie Dean who got it from Cameleye - is mid-year '06. I had always assumed it was mahogany. Looking at it now I think maybe it is bubinga! Holy cow, it sure sounds different now! Heh, heh. It's my favorite guitar. I have it strung up with John Pearse New Mediums (sort of in between medium and light). It's surprisingly loud for such a small guitar if you dig in. My Martin OM-21 has a slightly richer tone but the L-00 neck is way more comfortable to play for me. [/quote']

Will that one be making the trip to Bozeman in June? Sure would like to see it.

The spec also says it has a 24.75" scale length. I called Gibson last summer and I was told that it in fact had a long scale and the web site was wrong. But they never changed it. Can anyone confrim the scale length?

I got my '04 L-00 BK last summer. The guitar amazes me everyday. The tone is so punchy, it projects and resonates like crazy. It is my favorite guitar. Gibson has THE neck profile for me.

Archived