Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Tech

eltonwce

A good tech is so hard to find. Sometimes even a tech is hard to find. After years of often painful searching, I found a gifted, reasonably priced luthier who works out of his home. A total fluke. His daughter works in my office and saw a guitar catalog on my desk. We started talking about guitars and pretty soon I was over at her dad's house with a few sick boxes. A few weeks later - tonal glory. (He wasn't a Gibson guy before, but he is now).

Of course, my guy is in West Chester, Ohio. Not much help to you I'm afraid. I wish you the best of luck. Hope you find your own miracle worker.

I live in Raleigh and used a guy named Stephen Gillham to do a fret job for me once. I was very pleased with his work, really beautiful fret job. He of course was not fast, most luthiers aren't. I don't know if he is still there, haven't needed any more work. He is located West of Chapel Hill off of I40. Number (I have an old business card) 919-932-6255.

I have used Darren Riley here in Raleigh but believe his specialty is electric. I would trust him though. There used to be a guy (Sheppard) in Greensboro that had a good reputation. Just my opinion but I would avoid Guitar Center. I'm sure they have some good people but you never know who you will get.

Archived