Gibson Brands Forums

Changing the tuners

daveinspain

Dumb question... Why do people change the tuners on a Gibson? All my Gibsons have the stock tuners on them. They all work fine, look good, don't slip, hold the tuning well and suit the guitar. So why do people make extra holes and other modifications to put different tuners on?

Dumb question... Why do people change the tuners on a Gibson? All my Gibsons have the stock tuners on them. They all work fine' date=' look good, don't slip, hold the tuning well and suit the guitar. So why do people make extra holes and other modifications to put different tuners on?[/quote']

Same reason people put custom rims on their cars!!!!

I put moderns on my 2 SG's and didn't like the exposed holes or the friggin fingerprints so I switched back.

Now I'm the proud owner of 2 spare sets.

actually several very valid reasons for changing tuners.

1) Some of the earlier Historic Reissues did not have the "vintage correct" style of tuners on them. For instance the reissued Black Beauties R4 & R7 came with gold Grovers. But if you check, you will find that the original 1950s guitars came with the standard Kluson tulip-style tuners. Gibson didn't start using the Grovers until late 1958.

So if that vintage look is important to you, then you would want to get some Kluson tuners.

2) Some of the plastic tuner tips (Kluson style) get brittle with age, exposure to sun, hot lights etc and can crack, break, shrink etc. And so you often see folks replace them with Grovers (on standards or Customs) or Gotohs (on juniors or specials) or others which are all metal.

but if you're happy with the stock stuff and its working for you...don't fix it.

I just like the feel of Grovers. I really like the rotomatics. They just turn so much smoother.

Ditto.

I put Rotomatics on my LP Classic Plus thinking they would help the tuning issues - turned out to be the nut.

8 years ago now?

The real vintage tuners were pretty delicate and the fast ratio meant that they didn't function well.

As far as I know, all the vintage-looking tuners are now 14:1 ratio so the functionality is the same as a Grover.

I would prefer Grover Rotomatics on all my Gibsons but I won't mod any more of them to do it.

Plus the Grovers are drop-in replacements. No extra routing required. You will have an extra hole showing (ala Jimmy Page), because the Grovers only use one screw and it's in the same place as the bottom screw of the original. Now this is only true with the Gibsons, The Epi Les Paul has a small diameter hole that would need routing. And the Locking Rotomatics are 18:1.

Archived