Gibson Brands Forums

This is interesting

Silverbursted

Yeah, those 335 - 12's were not terribly uncommon back in the seventies.

I've seen a few on Ebay but never held one in my hands.

Bob at Bizarre Guitar in Phoenix has had a few over the years.

The Melody Maker 12 had single coils and sort of a SG shape back in the 60's.

Warren Haynes has one of a few Les Paul 12 strings I've seen, a beautiful cherry burst.

Before the forum crash this summer, there was a thread about Firebird 12's of all things.

Who'da thunkit?

There was a 12-string Epiphone Riviera in the 60s (and an Elitist model more recently).

My guitar teacher had one, that someone converted to a 6 string, he changed it back, had a total of 100 bucks in it.

He sold it to some guy for 300, then he saw it in a SamAsh for 3000, who da thunk it?

I would bet they sound really nice as a hollow body. Certainly 12 strings sound best when strum though a sound hole, or at least body resonant.

My teacher has an old 70's vintage Gretch 12 string. That thing is just massive!!! I have a hard time playing it, though I do pull it off his wall every once in a while because I love the sound. And he just bought another Gretch 6 string with a Bigsby. Talk about a heavy weight.

Well, I stupidly swapped a Hagstrom 12 when at the time I shoulda just strung it as a 6 for doing country. Too soon oldt, too late schmardt. Really nice neck, but after more than 30 years that and remembering it as a decent sound is all I can recall...

Wonder what it'd be worth now. Hmmmm.

m

Archived