Gibson Brands Forums

Trading for my First Les Paul. What should I look for?

letchworth40

Hey everyone. New member here about to get my first Les Paul. Have way too many strats and only strats and have been wanting a gibson for awhile now. Someone offered this LP to me for one of my strats this morning and I just need to know what to look for when I look over a LP. I know to look for previously broken head stocks and cracks and what not. Heard about way too many clones to be comfortable with going used for my first LP. From what I have been told it was refretted around 5 years ago and has a new bone nut and grover tuners.

Heres a few picturs of the LP Im interested in. Looks like its in great shape for its age. Please look hard LP guys and please tell me its all real =D>/ =P~/ =P~/

1979 Les Paul Custom

DSCF0544.jpg

DSCF0568.jpg

DSCF0573.jpg

Im trading an American Deluxe Ash Strat. Is sharing its time with other strats so it is showing no wear and is basically new. Probably woudn't trade if it was my only one.

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

<drools on keyboard>

<curses while mopping it up>

Get the LP. I have an American Standard Strat and it is the least played guitar that I own. I will always go to my LP or my SG when I want to play and enjoy. I have a Fender Telecaster and the Strat but they lack something compared to playing my Gibsons. If this guy is trading you straight up you should jump at the chance unless you have a very vintage Strat.

If you like it go for it. Try and have a really good go on it first though. I've played quite a few 70s ones that are truly awful.

A friend of mine got a 70s LP Custom for £550, which is incredibly cheap here (UK) but it weighs about the same as a planet, isn't very well put together and it sounds dead when you play it unplugged and that carries forth when amped.

With any guitar I feel it's very important to play it unplugged first.

Archived