Gibson Brands Forums

Looks like I may have to buy a new amp - dammit!

NeoConMan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I hear ya.

I'm not wired that way.

A man's word is everything.

Without it he's nothing and I will NOT be called a liar or anything of the sort - least of all by him.

The 'enabler' title is one I refuse to wear because it hasn't been the case.

I did more to interfere and force him to wake up, grow up, and face down his demons in the last four years than anybody. I found out where he was and just showed up in places he wasn't suppose to be in the wee hours of the morning more than once. There have been tests of will, physical confrontations (that he lost miserably) lies, theft, drugs, girls, pregnancies that got 'fixed' somehow, cops, courts, jail, church, friends, enemies, the list goes on and on.

Still, giving him the amp can certainly be viewed as enabling.....

That, Yoda, I can't completely disagree with.

And his Mom is still thinking she'll simply pay $400 toward his legal woes to keep any quick money out of his hands.

Part of the test is to see which he chooses.

He's known all his life that he needs money to do anything in this world.

Up until he was 15, he worked his *** off for his grandfather and neighbors to earn money.

Cleaning pastures, fence work, irrigation, errands.

Bought his Les Paul and Honda CR-125 motocross bike himself.

Then the wheels came off of EVERYTHING, so to speak.... pissed it away along with everything else.

As I stated before, this is the last straw for me.

I rarely see him as it is, if he hocks the amp he won't see me at all until he gets his head out of his ***.

He knows not to come around the NeoCon Compound for fear of BAD legal trouble - or worse.

If he straightens up, he'll find once again that there's no bigger advocate in this world than me.

He has an idea what lies in either decision he makes - none of this is occurring in a vacuum.

Neo,

Here's another option...

Ceriaton Amp Kits - Over Tone Special

I just finished building this amp about a month ago all except I have not put it inside a head cabinet yet. It's a clone of one of Dumble's amps; number 124 I believe but I'm not positive.

You can buy the kit and I'll build it for you - you'll have to have it sent or send it to me yourself. Or I may let you buy my amp and I'll buy another one and keep it for myself. The one I built is a 50watt version, but you can buy a 100watt one for a little more $$

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

This clip tells what all of the controls do

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Hmmmm....

Yeah, I know a guy here in town that builds his own amps.

He gigs with them, that's how he sells them!

Pretty smart, eh?

Anyhow, he plays awfully quiet and polite-like so I wasn't sure we'd be on the same wavelength.

That's pretty cool...

Wow Neoconman Just Caught the Tail End of This.

Man Did you Ever Consider "Civil Commitment" Thats Where your At.

Dont Turn your Back on him and Don't Give it to him.

The Amps is His and Tell-em so but also Tell-em

Where he's at Now your Forced to Keep it With you

Right now, until he Comes Around.

You Should Chain him to the Compound, Close to you.

And Force him to See things Your Way

Wow Neoconman Just Caught the Tail End of This.

Man Did you Ever Consider "Civil Commitment" Thats Where your At.

Dont Turn your Back on him and Don't Give it to him.

The Amps is His and Tell-em so but also Tell-em

Where he's at Now your Forced to Keep it With you

Right now' date=' until he Comes Around.

You Should Chain him to the Compound, Close to you.

And Force him to See things Your Way[/quote']

How dare you?

Chain him to the Compound and force him to come around to my way of thinking?

Pretty much resorted to that when he was 17, all but handcuffed him to his bed.

Problem is, we have to leave the house at some point to go to work.

Even as nutty as my schedule is, rotating 24/7 there are huge gaps in the watch.

Limiting his travel only led to peddling dope via MySpace after I took his cellphone.

Cracking down on who came and went (including drug dogs) led to him stealing my truck for a deal.

It was getting to the point you describe when he decided to leave.

His Mom didn't want to get the cops involved again, he was a minor and violating court order when he left.

She allowed him to simply leave and figure it out on his own.

I was gonna hunt him down, but she said no.

Still don't know if that was the right thing to do.

He's an adult now, so it's his game.

He's Reaching out by Acting out

and only you Can Give-em What he Needs to Straighten Him out.

You can't give up, Cause you Ani't done enough.

Sorry, I know. Been there Done That and it

Get's Ugly. The only Way is too Sacrifice More. Alot more

Ya Got to be a "Leather Neck Grunt"

Sorry Dude, Don't Really Know-ya or Know What's Exactly Going on.

But I've Been Through that with Someone in the Past.

I've Said my Peace.

Neo it sounds to me like you need to give him some tuff love. I would have gone after with law like Martin Sheen did with Charlie. I will say this don't make anymore deals with him until straighten out his life gets off the drugs and stay off of them permit. Otherwise he is going to continue getting away with it until someone gets hurt or dies weather it some he kills or some going to kill him.

CM, that's some cool stuff!

Not big enough though.

15 watts and a single speaker ain't gonna cut it.

I'm leaning Mesa 5:50 Express head and Rectifier 2x12 sealed cab.

$2,000.....

Thanks Tazz,

Thanks to all of you who have voiced your opinion in the matter.

Great advice from many of you - even if I can't use it in this instance.

The thing is, the deal was made over 3 years ago while he was still a minor and should have been in school.

To think he's actually gonna get his GED now is a surprise to everybody, though a nice one.

He's been staying the wife's folks place for a few weeks now - off and on.

Behaving himself and helping out around the place.

Mrs. Neo was adamantly opposed to them letting him stay because they're in their seventies and not healthy.

Grandma wants him there, so it's caused some tension all around. Grandpa is sick of his sh!t but tolerates him.

Anyway, he comes home at a decent hour most nights and is acting somewhat respectably.

This may be the light at the end of the tunnel...

The amp thing?

Screw him.

Especially after he pawned off all his guitars.

He's an adult now - 20 years old.

I don't owe him sh!t and I don't intend to give him ANYTHING.

Except I made a promise....

A wise man once told me to always make certain your "no" means no and your "yes" means yes.

I can't back out.

Seriously, the $800 for the amp is nothing but a drop in the bucket compared to everything else.

Conditions?

I made no conditions up front except that he had a GED.

If he fulfills his end of the deal (especially after he was so far gone) I have to oblige.

Does it stay here for now?

Stay at the grandparents?

That's up to his Mom.

I'm out of it.

It's the LAST agreement of any kind between the two of us, I turned my back on him when he turned 18.

He knows the score.

He thinks I'm the biggest *** hole in the world (imagine THAT!) but he also tells his mother things that let her know he was listening. He knows how to straighten up and fly right, it's a matter of choice.

If he hocks the amp, he knows he just severed the last link between us.

The way his thoughts race from one extreme to the other, I have no doubt it can happen.

One of us has to stand on our principles.

Hopefully it will be both of us.

Well I am glad that you stood by your promise, but I would hope that it is the last one until he can prove stay out of trouble and off drugs period. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel and he does straighten up.

Since having our own kids wasn't allowed, I don't believe I have the right to offer you any advice on that front but on the amp front you can't go wrong with any of these . . .

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/seriesone/index.html

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/legacyiiseries.php

And, I know from personal experience that Krank makes some really good stuff and they are NOT just for metal heads though that is their rep. To date, I've just played their 20W baby amp but love it. I say baby . . . the thing's as loud as the 1x12 50W Peavey Combo I used to have. Easily.

http://www.krankamps.com/

and sadly, so few people even know about them. It's all Marshall, Fender, and Mesa. All good amp makers in their own right but there are other amp fish in the sonic sea that I think provide more bang for the buck. Krank and Carvin at least are good ole USA made if that matters. British engineered Blackstar, some disgruntled Marshall'ers I believe, are working with a Korean manufacturing facility I think. Christ, their Artisan series are like fine crafted furniture but the Series One are true multi-channels with Dynamic Power Reduction [DPR] and Infinite Shape Feature [iSF] controls that are saaweeet. Amazing flexibility.

I'll own one of these for my new high end head. As soon as I make up my mind which one that is . . . :-

Thanks CM!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if it's a Mesa it will be the Express 5:50 head and Rectifier sealed 2x12 cab.

I dunno.

Looks like that kit will be $2,000.

Ouch!

I'm seeing some things from Mesa owners cautioning that it is NOT a tonal twin to a Fender.

Don't wanna stray too far from the Fender groove....

The Twin keeps popping up in my mind, like I said I've wanted one for 20 years.

Hey, I have the Marshall I wanted 20 years ago, so why not the Fender too, eh?

+:-@/

Those things are WAY over a grand - like $1,500 - $1,600.

There's really nothing wrong with the Hot Rod DeVille, a new 4x10 would be a killer amp for only $800.

That, and I'm looking around at used stuff.

No telling what I might find in somebody's closet.

Have you thought about a Deluxe Reverb?

+1 As long as you don't want lots of gain without pedals this is a great way to go - amazing clean sounds. Add a TS-9 and it's SRV all the way. Skip the reissue though (PC board) and buy a silverface for a couple hundred more. You will not regret it.

Went to Sam Ash and Guitar Center today.

Played thru several new and used Fenders.

Decided I don't really need the "Fender" cleans.

Seldom played my HRD clean - once in a great while.

Usually had a little gain going, just enough to make it sound a little rude....

So, the new '65 Twin Reverb with 85 watts in a 2x12 combo is SWEET and Sam Ash is selling them for half of list.

Problem is, no master volume so I would have to have a pedal in front of it all the time.

I hate pedals.

I just bough the Fulltone OCD and I love it, but I don't want an amp that can't be played without it.

I still want to play a Twin, the Evil Twin with master volume and 100/25 power switching.

Set it on 25 watts and wail - see what it'll do for me.

Until I get a chance to do that, I can't dismiss it from consideration.

Problem is NOBODY has one in stock.

Here's the BIG problem....

I played the Mesa Express in 5:25 and 5:50.

Played the Lone Star again.

Played the Lone Star Special that Oilpit is so fond of.

Oh my....

That Lone Star Special at 30 watts is THE SH!T!!!

Of course, the one at Guitar Center was screwing up - hissing and swishing - so I shut it down.

Still, wow....

So I went back to the 5:50 Express.

I like it alot.

GC says they won't come off the list price - after they quoted me inflated prices "by mistake" of course.

$1250 for the head.

$620 for the cab.

$1870 plus tax will be a bit over $2k like I figured.

I took my Strat with P-90's for demo, and plugged their 335 in as well.

Those two guitars, out of everything I own, are the most honest and transparent to demo an amp.

Cleans aren't the icy, sparkly, crystal clear the Fenders make but I'm okay with that.

The cleans from the Mesa are still cool and clear as hell, and dialing up the gain just a bit does what it should.

I have some time, I'm in no hurry to buy, but I think it's the Mesa.

Unless I play an Evil Twin and it knocks my socks off I think my decision is made.

Unless I find a used Mesa F-50....

:-/

Archived