Gibson Brands Forums

Yellow inlays?

DPhillips

I think what you are looking at is actually a LP Classic. They say 1960 on the pick guard but it is not a 1960 reissue. I think the 1960 on the pick guard refers to the 1960 slim neck profile the LP Classic has. The inlays on those Classics are a yellowish green or sometimes refered to snot green. I have a LP Classic with those inlays but seem a little less snotty than usual... It's a great guitar! That neck profile plays wonderful but if you don't like the color of the inlays there is nothing you can do about it.

CIMG1509_1-1.jpg

Saw a new 1960 RI' date=' ebony, today. The odd thing about it was the neck inlays were near lemon-yellow. First time I've seen this. How often does Gibson change the color of the inlays and why bright yellow?

Gorgeous guitar except for those yellow inlays.[/quote']The inlays are yellow to simulate age. MOP inlays actually come in 3 different colors White, Gold, and Black.

I think what you are looking at is actually a LP Classic. They say 1960 on the pick guard but it is not a 1960 reissue. I think the 1960 on the pick guard refers to the 1960 slim neck profile the LP Classic has. The inlays on those Classics are a yellowish green or sometimes refered to snot green. I have a LP Classic with those inlays but seem a little less snotty than usual... It's a great guitar! That neck profile plays wonderful but if you don't like the color of the inlays there is nothing you can do about it.

CIMG1509_1-1.jpg

I think I actually like puke-colored inlays...:) Vintage.

I think I actually like puke-colored inlays...:-s Vintage.

Hmmmm... There would be quite a large variation of color tones.

Pizza = orange to reddish

Beer = yellow to gold

Wine = red to Burgundy

Whisky = caramel to rust

pasta = natural to beige

vegetarian = greenish

LP Classic.

1960 on the pick guard refers to the 1960 slim neck profile the LP Classic has.

It's a great guitar!

Yep!

Snot green indeed.

Now and then you'll see one that is simply too disgusting to look at.

Like Dave' date=' mine ain't so bad cosmetically and few notice the inlays.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3626/3377544227_39b6258645.jpg[/img]

Thanks Dave.

It's a 2000 or 2001 LP Classic Plus, slim neck.

Plus means nice top, paid a bit of cash to snag it when I found it in the spring of 2001.

It was tough to find a Les Paul with the slim neck, so I couldn't pass it up.

Never drilled for a pickguard.

Of course, the very next year Gibson made the Slim Taper a factory option on the Standard....

:-s

I put BurstBucker Pros in it.

Hated the ceramics.

I was torn between the BB Pro and the 57 Classics at the time.

Loved the 57's so much I bought my 335 after playing it.

Was gonna put 57's in the LP too but Gibson had just dropped the 490/498 in favor of the BB Pro in the regular Les Paul line. I figured Gibson must be onto something so that's what I went with.

In the years since, I've become a 57 disciple.

I love 'em!

Someday that LP will get 'em too.

Thanks guys. Guess they just really jumped at me on the ebony. These were about the color of strong lemonade. Shame' date=' that...[/quote']

If it's a Classic (and I believe it is) the fingerboard should be rosewood - not ebony.

Mine are green too...

CIMG0489.jpg

Did you like the sound of the pickups? The Classic had three noticeable features: 1. slim taper neck profile, 2. snot green inlays, and 3. hotter pickups with ceramic magnets (and no covers). Some years had ABR-1 bridges but recent ones have Nashville bridges. Otherwise the body construction and wiring was the same as the GibsonUSA Standards (meaning that they were chambered from 2006 and they share little with the Custom Shop Historic reissues). Incidentally there was a Classic Custom made in 2007 with an ebony fingerboard and white inlays (and gold hardware and gold slugs on '57 Classic pickups instead of the hotter ones). Nice guitars.

Archived