Gibson Brands Forums

I've seen the light.

Basshole

After in trusting my work to the hands of tube amp for little more than a year I realized it was time for a change.

Bass Tube amps constantly break down and seeing how I don't have extra money to keep fixing and biasing tubes I knew that I would need something powerful and reliable.

So I looked into "Acoustic Corp. Bass Amps from the 1970's". The particular model I have is A Acoustic Combo 136 with 15 inch speaker. It has a 3 band EQ, bright, ground/lift, and 4 channels

This amp is a "Tone Monster" as I play bass lines ranging from Sir Paul to The OX, I rattle the whole entire house with its thunder like bottom end and clear treble slash.

I guess what I'm saying is...

Do you guys prefer to use tubed or solid state amps for guitar?

I would think of all the pro's and con's for both.

For bass it's a easy choice what to use.

If it was good enough for Joco, JPJ, Stan Sheldon and practically every other bass player of that era it must be good enough for me.

Seems like the purist guitar players like tubes and the younger guys like solid state and modeling. I think they both have their applications an combinations of the two can work as well... I have my little Rebel 20 all tube amp that sounds great and sometimes I use a Line 6 pocket pod or a Boss ME-50 for FX...

I've seen lotsa bass guys gig with solid state bass rigs that sounded fine.

Tubes?

Well, I'm sure there are advantages in a bass amp as well but I have trouble hearing it.

I know a couple guys with killer Ampeg tube bass rigs.

As a matter of fact, one of them sold me the cheapo bass rig I have - Crate B200XL/2x15 cab.

He gigged the hell out of it for over ten years with NEVER a problem.

The one thing I CANNOT stand is active pickups.

The constant rumble gives me a f-ing headache.

It's a bass guitar and it should sound like one.

If the constant rumble covering up any individual notes is what you want, buy a synth.

:-

$.02 from some guy on the internet.

...Bass Tube amps constantly break down and seeing how I don't have extra money to keep fixing and biasing tubes I knew that I would need something powerful and reliable...

Thus explaineth the reason the industry went to solid state electronics and why Emmett Clark went out of business.

After playing a solid state guitar amp for nearly 20 years I switched back to tubes and man what a world of difference. Unless I need a lighter amp with good cleans I probably won't be using my ss Fender M-80 any more.

As for breaking down ~ I've learned that I can fix a tube amp, but probably not the ss one. Same with Biasing the tubes, it's fairly easy to do so it cost me nothing except new tubes.

Archived