Gibson Brands Forums

Pick guard on or off?

Alekseriator

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering what the best way would be to fill the hole' date=' or holes?

The one on the binding isn't so bad, but the one on the top next to the neck pickup bothers me!

I've left it alone so far until I find out a good way to fill it? [/quote']

If your guitars are precious and you want it done right... I got nothing.

However, if you want it done quickly, cheaply, and effectively ...stick a toothpick in it and trim it off carefully with clippers or a razor knife. Then dab with appropriate colored marker or touch up paint. Works for me.

Here's my gold top before and after the removal... you can see the toothpick - I still need to touch it up.

GT1.jpg

CIMG0489.jpg

I don't need a pickguard -- I don't scar up tops with my pick, and I don't rest my fingers on one -- so I take them off.

GibsonLesPaulDeluxe.jpg?t=1256046542

I did put a pickguard on a guitar that didn't have one, after an idiot dug into the nice bear claw spruce top of one my acoustics with his careless strumming.

for the guys with the nice finish, and who don't want the holes, how about the Bobby Lee clear pickguards that screw to the pickup rings. I put a blue transluscent one on my robot and it looks pretty. Real pretty.

Haha, this seems to be an entertaining thread. I'm not the most advance guitarist or the most knowledgable one but I will have to agree, it does depend on the guitar, the finish, and what you could do to the sound, that is if pickguards do change the sound. Anyways, I have an Epiphone SG Special myself but I decided to put a pickguard on it.

Archived