Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar World

Silenced Fred

So I started subscribing about 3 months ago' date=' and everytime I get it in the mail, it is about 2 weeks after the magazine is out in stores and newsstands

Is this normal? :-k

Is my mailman reading it?:-

I am just wondering because it is annoying[/quote']

Thats one of the reasons I stopped having it delivered to me....youre not alone my friend.

It depends what you are into. I don't think anybody can tell you what you will like.

Guitar Player is a great magazine if you like a mix of current and older stuff, other magazines focus on jazz. Others on gear.

I used to subscribe to 3 magazines and Guitar World is the only subscription I will keep. Guitar Player simply did not keep my interest and Vintage Guitar magazine was giving me too much GAS since boutique gear is advertized extensively.

it might cheaper' date=' but it still sucks. guitar world is prolly the worst of the guitar rags imo. i read it when i was a teenager, but now.....neh[/quote']

Agreed, it used to be great when I was a teenager as well. With the whole resurgence of 'metal' the past few years it's just become terrible. I think 2002 may have been the last good year for the magazine. They focus a ton of the whole metal thing, and, honestly, I really do wonder why they never spent much time on some of the emo bands. A great deal of them (not the pop crap like fallout boy) are actually pretty good players. I used to enjoy seeing Zakk Wyde in GW, now it's like, jeez, another issue with him all over it.

it might cheaper' date=' but it still sucks. guitar world is prolly the worst of the guitar rags imo. i read it when i was a teenager, but now.....neh[/quote']

Actually they have had some many interesting articles in the last year that I am running behind in my reading.

I think generally age matters when selecting a magazine subsription you will like.

I used to read Guitar Player all the time. Even wrote a piece for it years ago when Jim Hall was the editor.

Around here the "teen" type mags are about all the guitar things I've seen. I didn't even know Guitar Player was still in existence but... heck, I've gotta admit I'm out in the boonies.

Problem is that GP used to be about the only mag around. Then everybody started getting into more specific types of stuff and...

Also, in the 60s and 70s there used to be mags with lyrics - some rock, some country - available. Now there's so much on the Web I think those all are daid, daid, daid.

I guess I've not been particularly interested in guitar mags, but the problem is that a lotta technical stuff isn't necessarily that well covered on the "free" Internet so... I wish I had access to all of the mags to see what might interest me.

As for delivery - it depends on the mag. When I ran a small mag the mail bags went out at the same time as the mags went to distributors, which technically gave mail subscribers an advantage. On the other hand, the US Postal Service can decide to sandbag delivery of periodicals if they want to.

Also a U.S. mag going to Canada can have some problems with Canadian law - or at least it used to be enough of a problem that we dropped Canadian subscribers and distributors in the early 1990s. I can't recall the specifics, but the bottom line was that it was more hassle than it was worth in return.

m

Archived