Gibson Brands Forums

SG for the blues?

Andre S

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me one big thing that matters in blues tone is the scale length. Big difference between the usual Fender 25.5" and the usual Gibson 24.75" your preference matters.

The Gibson Blues Hawk has a 25.5" scale on the other hand.

You amplifier matters, a lot.

To me one big thing that matters in blues tone is the scale length. Big difference between the usual Fender 25.5" and the usual Gibson 24.75" your preference matters.

The Gibson Blues Hawk has a 25.5" scale on the other hand.

You amplifier matters' date=' a lot.

[/quote']

Yea, when I was choosing an acoustic, I didn't take that into account and , it has a "25.5 scale length, 24.75 is much easier for bends, bending is hard on the acoustic.

The amplifier, is a Fender Super Champ XD, or at least thats what it seems it will be for now.

Yep' date=' I was thinking of a Fender, maybe the Super Champ XD. How does the Blues Junior and your SG pair up?[/quote']

They go well together, clean tones are really nice and warm, and the overdrive is really nice and 'airy', doesn't get very heavy. It's more 'attitude' than 'grit' if you know what I'm saying. There's a Jensen speaker in mine though, like the NOS version.

But it really depends on the kind of stuff you want to play. If you really want to get an SG, it will more than suffice, but 335s are awesome guitars as well. Either way you'll end up with a winner, but be sure you know exactly the sound you're looking for.

They go well together' date=' clean tones are really nice and warm, and the overdrive is really nice and 'airy', doesn't get very heavy. It's more 'attitude' than 'grit' if you know what I'm saying. There's a Jensen speaker in mine though, like the NOS version.

But it really depends on the kind of stuff you want to play. If you really want to get an SG, it will more than suffice, but 335s are awesome guitars as well. Either way you'll end up with a winner, but be sure you know exactly the sound you're looking for.

[/quote']

I know, I would love a 335, but if there is one thing I've learned, is that if you're going to buy an expensive guitar, then do it right and make sure it has all the trimmings, so the satin finish isn't really going to work and the next one is too expensive. Even the satin one is, but at least its better.

there is no answer to this question.

I pretty much agree, ask Eric Clapton, B.B King and Johnny Lang which guitar is best for blues.

There are many styles of blues and styles of playing the blues. SRV and Robert Cray could play the same song, both using Strats yet listen to how differently they sound, neither being wrong.

It may also be your mood. Are you feeling mellow or aggressive?

I have a '96 MIM Buddy Guy Strat w/ Fender Noiseless PUPs, a '74 Tele and a '67 SG I just picked up. I play in a 6 pc band (we have a couple of horns) and we play Memphis Blues, Motown, Soul and misc. classics. I truly feel I can play the whole night with any one of my guitars.

Recently I sat in with an ole timey country band and played the SG all night. Sure my Tele probably would have been better but I was surprised how the SG worked out fine.

Yep, the SG will never get as twangy as the Tele. The Strat will never be as fat as the SG...and so on. They each have their own sound, but I believe all of them to be very versatile.

Oh I am biased but what I said......is a fact. The SG is like the swiss army knife of guitars.

Well the Strat has 5 great sounds, plus you can lever a car out of the mud with it's neck... =D>

And the blues... ? That's in the mind.

I got my SG for balls-out rock... most excellent. Then, I started playing blues - 60s blue-eyed blues specifically. The SG is most excellent. Particularly because I'm comfortable with the guitar and know it well.

Whether it's played Fender clean or Marshall dirty, the SG never failed to perform.

if it has strings and frets, you can play the blues on it. what type of sound are you shooting for? personally, i prefer semi-hollows like 335,345, etc or a Les Paul. but the greats have used strats, teles, acoustics/dobros, explorers, and SGs among others. hell my man albert king used a Flying V.

It's a poor workman that blames his tools... O:)

Bwahahahahaha.....

I play freakin' Country/Blues/Southern Rock/Classic Rock and Motown with an SG/339 combination.

Yep, Haggard with an SG.......

I was booked through Jan. 2010 in March of '09....

I just think the middle position on a Strat, (and I've owned them) sucks. Ritchie Blackmore does too, that's why his sig Strat only had two pickups.

I also hated the bridge single coil by itself. Way too thin.

Just my opinion.

No offense.

THE SG IS A VERY VERSATILE GUITAR DEREK TRUCKS DOES JUST FINE FOR THE BLUES, SO DOES CARLOS SANTANA, GET A SPECIAL OR A CLASSIC AS THEY CALL EM NOW AND YOU'LL HAVE THE BEAUTY OF A p-90

IF A P-90 CAN;T PLAY THE BLUES IT;S YOU NOT THE AX !!!!!

I'VE BEEN PLAYING THE BLUES FOR 35+YEARS AND MY 66 SPECIAL HAS WORKED FINE FOR ME

BUT I ALSO PLAY A 56 PAUL, A 66 FIREBIRD WITH 3 P-90'S, AN ES-330,A BLUESHAWK ALL P-90 EQUIPPED AND EVEN PUT ONE ON MY TELE IN THE NECK.

USE A FATTER STRING 12 ARE GOOD THE GIVE YA MORE WARMTH.

HOPE THAT HELPS

ST JAMES

THE SG IS A VERY VERSATILE GUITAR DEREK TRUCKS DOES JUST FINE FOR THE BLUES' date=' SO DOES CARLOS SANTANA, GET A SPECIAL OR A CLASSIC AS THEY CALL EM NOW AND YOU'LL HAVE THE BEAUTY OF A p-90

I'VE BEEN PLAYING THE BLUES FOR 35+YEARS AND MY 66 SPECIAL HAS WORKED FINE FOR ME

BUT I ALSO PLAY A 56 PAUL, A 66 FIREBIRD WITH 3 P-90'S, AN ES-330,A BLUESHAWK ALL P-90 EQUIPPED AND EVEN PUT ONE ON MY TELE IN THE NECK.

HOPE THAT HELPS

ST JAMES[/quote']

Don't yell.

It's rude................

:-({|=/

THE SG IS A VERY VERSATILE GUITAR DEREK TRUCKS DOES JUST FINE FOR THE BLUES' date=' SO DOES CARLOS SANTANA, GET A SPECIAL OR A CLASSIC AS THEY CALL EM NOW AND YOU'LL HAVE THE BEAUTY OF A p-90

HOPE THAT HELPS

ST JAMES[/quote']

what the hell is you deal and CAPS?

I just think the middle position on a Strat' date=' (and I've owned them) sucks. Ritchie Blackmore does too, that's why his sig Strat only had two pickups.

I also hated the bridge single coil by itself. Way too thin.

Just my opinion.

No offense.

[/quote']

These are your own preferences. My point is the Strat has a wider range of sounds than just about anything not fitted with a varitone. http://www.blueshawk.info/varitone.htm

And of course Gibson have produced thousands of guitars with just one very bright single coil at the bridge...

The gentleman may just be keyboard challenged.........we should cut him................................some slack.......

11aa182.jpg

man......there is a lot of dust an ashes all over my sh*t....get me a leaf blower up in ere

lmfao

Archived