Gibson Brands Forums

First Post...Dummy R7 Question

oceantracks

I finally got an R7 a few months ago. Now I don't know why, but for some reason I had not noticed this, or I did and had forgotten. I was wiping it down today after playing and noticed that the bridge pickup showed some light wear. Like the wear you might expect after a year or more of playing the guitar on the nickle PU cover. I wiped and wiped but it would not come off ( I hear the laughter already). I'm thinking...."This is nuts...this guitar is too new to have shown wear like that this soon."

Then I realized, "Wait a minute...this is a FEATURE...right??? This is part of the VOS thing...."

Am I correct here?

BTW, the guitar just sounds immense.

Thanks

Tom H

I finally got an R7 a few months ago. Now I don't know why' date=' but for some reason I had not noticed this, or I did and had forgotten. I was wiping it down today after playing and noticed that the bridge pickup showed some light wear. Like the wear you might expect after a year or more of playing the guitar on the nickle PU cover. I wiped and wiped but it would not come off ( I hear the laughter already). I'm thinking...."This is nuts...this guitar is too new to have shown wear like that this soon."

Then I realized, "Wait a minute...this is a FEATURE...right??? This is part of the VOS thing...."

Am I correct here?

BTW, the guitar just sounds immense.

Thanks

Tom H[/quote']

There may be two things going on here;

1. Its the VOS film (on Historics from 2006) that you have discovered, that makes the pickup look dull or 'pre-worn'. Underneath, your pickup cover is in fact as shiney as ever. Some people polish off the VOS finish from their guitars. Search the forums for tips if you're interested in doing this.

2. Nickel is a notoriously short-lived coating. It depends on your body chemistry and how much your sweat dissolves the nickel coat. After just one gig, the nickel on my R7 was showing signs of wear (I have a 2005 non-VOS). The nickel covers, bridge and stop-bar on my 1997 '61 RI SG are well and truely screwed, but that's the way I like them! Even if I wipe the guitars down afterwards and polish them, the coating still gets corroded and dulled.

Tarnishing of the nickel is part of the appeal of Gibson Historics. Sooner or later they begin to look 'played in', just like the great original instruments that everyone drools over. That's why Gibson uses the VOS finish these days. I presume their market research says they sell more that way. Personally I'd rather have a 'shiney' and tarnish it naturally.

Chrome-plated parts do not tarnish anywhere near so quickly as nickel and hold their shine for years. My Hamer Studio Custom has chrome part swhich looks great with the high gloss laquer finish. However, nitro-laquered Gibson guitars eventually age with cracks in the finish and the tarnish of their metalwork seems to complement the whole process. It makes each guitar truely individual and as comfy as a well worn in pair of work boots.

Oh yes, the R7's really do sound immense! I'm presuming you have a Gold Top or is it a Custom? I haven't ever played an R8, R9 or R0 so can't comment from experience, but others on Les Paul Forums seem to think that the fat necks on R7's help to give maximum phatness and sustain. My R7 GT sounds so much bigger than my Hamer and my PRS.

Here's my SG:

IMG_3728-1.jpg

How about posting some pics of your R7 for us to drool over?

Regards,

ibis

StudioStage.jpg][/img]

Hey thanks for the info!

I like the slightly worn look....

I have had several PRS guitars and I love everything about them.

It's just that I have not heard one that didn't get killed by a LP, especially one like this.

I play lots of pop and use the bridge PU a lot, and I just haven't heard a PRS that could even get in the ballpark of a beast like this;)

So I guess you have to own both if you like both....

This is a great guitar. Humbling, actually, I've been playing most of my life and it is one of those guitars that makes you realize you should practice some more. You hear everything;)

Here's a shot of the new R7 off a phone camera...it's isn't too clear but you'll get the idea...

Thanks and great forum...!

Tom

Any idea what a VOS finish will look like when it actually becomes vintage?

That's a good question. I guess nobody knows right now! I wonder if the VOS film will eventualy wear off' date=' to be replaced with natural wear and tear? You might get 'reverse wear' where rubbing, instead of making the guitar duller will actually shine it up!

I've had mine for a week' date=' and absolutely love it. There truly is something special with a Goltop.[/quote']

Congrats to you and Ocean Tracks on your R7's! Nice looking HiWatt there too!

They are pretty special things imho, the coolest looking LP ever and the sound is off the Richter scale! At my gig last night my PRS did the duties that the LP isn't so good at, eg single coil sounds and easy top fret access, but it couldn't compete with the R7 for sheer ballsy rock tone and presence. Both are great guitars though, with different strengths and weaknesses.

Ibis, yes, I really love being able to grab those single coil sounds out of the PRS. It's really nice if you can afford to own both. I shall continue to play the Lotto;) Thanks on the Hiwatt too...they are making great stuff again...

Tom

Thanks Ibis' date=' I'm not sure if it has to do with playing her every day, or just the sheer confidence she exudes, but my playing has really improved. =D> [/quote']

I'm really enjoying gigging with mine, its great for the Thin Lizzy mini-set that we do (5 songs).

We also do a Led Zep mini-set and a Free mini-set, so its pretty handy!

I've recently removed the scratch plate so it looks more like Snowy White's (his had black pup rings and selector ring though). It does look like Duane Allman's now though, so I guess we'll have to cover Layla!

Yeah, can't speak for my playing but my confidence has improved by shed loads too! I still have to pinch myself when I hear the sheer quantity of power and quality of tone. My set up is essentially a Digitech Bad Monkey Over Drive --> Boss DM2 Analog Delay --> Fender Bassman '59 Ltd Re-Issue, although my board has a little bit more going on than that.

My PRS is more adaptable and versatile but the R7 is a monster full of mojo!

What do you guys play through and what style of music do you play?

Archived