Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio 2009 vs. Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet

eyeballs306

Hi all,

I was using a Les Paul Studio 2007 (ebony chrome hardware) but had to sell it earlier this year due to financial issues. Well, I'm in the market again but I fell in love with a Gretsch. Price range is very similar for the ones I'm looking at.

My only reason for not jumping on the LP Studio is that I've noticed that the neck feels thicker and flatter?? I don't know if I'm making that up or not... but I can't find another 2007 to compare. I have really small hands and so I loved the 2007...

Anybody out there have experience with both guitars??

yes i do. i own an LP Studio or two and a Duojet.

you are looking at two very different guitars my friend.

first the LP Studio is a "weight-relieved" guitar. that means swiss-cheese holes in the body. for more info check out a few other threads around here about LP construction. You are correct that the neck is thicker and flatter on the Studio. you didn't say specifically, but i am assuming the Studio has humbuckers? as opposed to some models with P-90s. anyway, nice solid all purpose guitar.

the Gretsch Duojet is a different animal. for starters the mahogany body has been extensively routed (chambered) before the wiring and maple cap are installed. this provides some unique tonal qualities to the guitar. it also makes it significantly lighter in weight than the Studio. now you didn't say which sort of p/u's are on the Duojet. they usually come with either Filtrons (Gretsch's version of a humbucker) or the DynaSonic single coil (these are basically Seymour Duncan's version of the classic DeArmond pickups). although newer models have other variations available, like TV Jones SuperTrons etc.

i have played both Filtrons and DynaSonics and prefer the single coil. but that's just me. i find the Filtrons are brighter and louder than Gibson's standard humbuckers. the DynaSonics capture the essence of the 1950's style twang in a unique way.

definitely the neck on the Gretsch is slimmer and faster than the Studio. smaller frets too.

personally i play the Duojet a lot more than the Studio.

enjoy your guitar shopping!

yes i do. i own an LP Studio or two and a Duojet.

you are looking at two very different guitars my friend.

first the LP Studio is a "weight-relieved" guitar. that means swiss-cheese holes in the body.

The LP studio's after 2006 are not weight relieved, they are chambered. It is lighter than a weight relieved guitar.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, the LP studio had the humbuckers, i believe it was a 2007 model which I learned has a 1950s style neck so it's rounder and slimmer. While the 2009 Les Paul studio has a 1960s style neck, flatter and thicker.

It's a Gretsch Duo Jet G6128-1957 that I'm looking at. So it's the Filtertron pick ups.

I don't really have a "style" of playing..so as for type of guitar that fits my needs I can't say. I played the Gibson LP Studio and that was fine. Compared to the Fender Strat I was using before, I definitely enjoy the crunch and sustain. I was playing an American Strat with Seymour Duncans on them so it was nice but it's hard to go back now. I play for church actually, and the guitarist that I like to emulate is Nigel Hendroff. He plays for a church called Hillsong in Australia...and trust me, the music isn't the old school "Amazing Grace" type of deal. Anyway, he's on youtube and so is Hillsong/Hillsong United if you're interested.

I think that the Gibson LP Studio and the Duo Jet both weigh more than Fenders do. I can appreciate the weight because it gives me some sense of holding an instrument solidly. I think the Duo Jet weighs in at around 7.5 lbs.

The '50s neck is fat, the '60s neck is skinny. LP Studios have the fat neck. None of this matters. What matters is are you comfortable with it in your little hands...if not get something that feels right don't worry about anything else.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah' date=' the LP studio had the humbuckers, i believe it was a 2007 model which I learned has a 1950s style neck so it's rounder and slimmer. While the 2009 Les Paul studio has a 1960s style neck, flatter and thicker.

[/quote']

I didn't know that, I will certainly look it up when I get to the guitar store!

Well that's strike two for Guitar Center who has given me wrong info.. yet again.

WHAT?

Are you SERIOUS?

Lies from the "professionals" at Guitar Center?

=P~/

Check my signature.

I've been dealing with those *** holes for nearly twenty years - including yesterday.

Some things never change.

I say Gretsch.

If you don't think it's exactly what you wanted, you can always get another LP later on.

Stay away from the cheapo Electromatic line.

Belva, it's possible.

Gonna need to remove a little wood to mount a standard HB though.

Which pickups are in it now?

Filtertrons are a great vintage humbucker, and the DynaSonic is very much the same vibe as a P-90.

Not sure the wood-cutting would be warranted, eh?

I didn't know that' date=' I will certainly look it up when I get to the guitar store!

[/quote']

Only the new les paul studio, the one with coil tapping for $1299, has the 60's neck. this one: http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-582657-i1463121.Music123

The regular studio for $1319 has a 59 rounded profile, this one here: http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-517030-i1149139.Music123

1950s style neck so it's rounder and slimmer.

While the 2009 Les Paul studio has a 1960s style neck' date=' flatter and thicker. [/quote']

Not to pick nits, but your terminology is a little inaccurate.

Neck profiles are tough enough to get a grasp on, so I'll give you a couple pointers.

As a rule, 50's neck is bigger, meaning thicker.

60's neck is also called the Slim Taper, meaning thinner.

Which dimension are we talking about?

The nut width, fretboard width, string separation, all that is unchanged on both Gibsons.

The difference is the rounded back on the 50's is sanded down on the '60 until it ain't so round anymore.

Therefore, it becomes slim.

Other makers like PRS call the profiles Wide Fat and Wide Thin because they actually offer differences in nuts too.

Here's a few diagrams from the Warmoth site that I like.

See if that clears it up.

Third tab down, click on Back Contours

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/GuitarNecks.aspx

Hi all,

I was corrected earlier by Myles up there on the difference between the 50s/60s neck. And that's what sparked the comment about the lies that guitar center told me :)

Sorry for the confusion! All I know is, I don't like the new LP Studios because of the flat and wider/thicker feel. My hands are small and I preferred the older LP studio models. It seems like I'm going with the Gretsch this time around...at least in my mind for now. but I'm sure I'll be back for a Gibson one of these days I'm sure of it. Gibson just oozes classic rock.

Only the new les paul studio' date=' the one with coil tapping for $1299, has the 60's neck. this one: http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-582657-i1463121.Music123

The regular studio for $1319 has a 59 rounded profile, this one here: http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-517030-i1149139.Music123

[/quote']

ahh thank you!

such a bummer, the silverburst is only in the US and Canada #-o

WHAT?

Are you SERIOUS?

Lies from the "professionals" at Guitar Center?

:D/

Check my signature.

I've been dealing with those *** holes for nearly twenty years - including yesterday.

Some things never change.

I say Gretsch.

If you don't think it's exactly what you wanted' date=' you can always get another LP later on.

Stay away from the cheapo Electromatic line.

Belva, it's possible.

Gonna need to remove a little wood to mount a standard HB though.

Which pickups are in it now?

Filtertrons are a great vintage humbucker, and the DynaSonic is very much the same vibe as a P-90.

Not sure the wood-cutting would be warranted, eh?[/quote']

Well, I still have to buy one. Greatest feeling guitar ever, light, most confortable neck in the universe.. but pickups are stuck on bright flavours. I need, for my kind of jazz tone , which is very dark ( pat martino like) something like a classic 57 at the neck and possibly a 57 plus at the bridge. Does gretsch make some stuff like this or are them all bright? let me know.

Archived