Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best guitar amplifier brand?

Alekseriator

Hello i'm looking for a new guitar amplifier for my Les Paul and Fender strat. I'm just asking not a particular model but just a excellent, reliable brand to play anything on electric guitar, distortion is important.

I just want to know a list of the most popular and reliable brands. so i will know what to look at.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello i'm looking for a new guitar amplifier for my Les Paul and Fender strat. I'm just asking not a particular model but just a excellent' date=' reliable brand to play anything on electric guitar, distortion is important.

I just want to know a list of the most popular and reliable brands. so i will know what to look at.[/quote']

Vox gets my vote.

What's your budget?

Tubes or solid state?

How big of an amp?

Are we talking a 1x12 combo or a full stack 8x12?

If you're needing to stay under $500 then a good tube amp with any power is gonna be tough to find.

If you want LOTS of distortion, save the tube money and buy a solid state amp.

Lots more amp (sorta) for a lot less money is available then.

I'm amp shopping right now and I can't find ANYTHING I like for less than $1,500.

I'd recommend Mesa Boogie if you like the high gain distorted sound. Either the Mark series, Rectifiers or the Stilleto. Read about them here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/

It would help if you tell us what kind of sound you're going for.

Seeing as your in NZ, don't even think about buying new. Prices are redic ulously inflated in NZ and Australia. I'd purchase from ebay and let the seller take the depreciation hit.

If you want LOTS of distortion' date=' save the tube money and buy a solid state amp.

[/quote']

I don't agree. If he wants a cheap amp with gobs of distortion then yes, but a high gain tube amp will beat any solid state amp in the distortion department - not the amount of distortion, but the quality. Even harmonics vs odd harmonics, I know which one I'd rather listen to.

What's your budget?

Tubes or solid state?

How big of an amp?

Are we talking a 1x12 combo or a full stack 8x12?

If you're needing to stay under $500 then a good tube amp with any power is gonna be tough to find.

If you want LOTS of distortion' date=' save the tube money and buy a solid state amp.

Lots more amp (sorta) for a lot less money is available then.

I'm amp shopping right now and I can't find ANYTHING I like for less than $1,500.

[/quote']

Really? I want a Princeton Reverb for 900. Too bad I'm saving for a SG or a different Gibson.

Hello i'm looking for a new guitar amplifier for my Les Paul and Fender strat. I'm just asking not a particular model but just a excellent' date=' reliable brand to play anything on electric guitar, distortion is important.

I just want to know a list of the most popular and reliable brands. so i will know what to look at.[/quote']

The legendary brands are Marshall,Fender and Vox (IMHO)

if you search heavy distortions,i'd say Mesa Boogie and ENGL

(tell us what kind of sound are you searching,budget,watts etc)

If we are really talking "best", look at Matchless, Dumble, Two Rock, Dr. Z, etc.

If you are looking at standard production amps, you might look at the new production models by Egnater, the JVM Marshalls, the aforementioned Vox amps or the new Mesa Mark V.

Personally i love (and would recommend) a Marshall JCM 800 but its all a matter of preference.

Firstly you need to take into account your style, needs and budget.

Also, there is no substitute for actually playing your own guitar through any amp to get a feel of how you like it.

if your wanting rock/metal tones i suggest you look towards Marshall/Mesa/Bogner (if you have the $$)

otherwise i would recommend checking out Vox/Orange/Cornford's amps

im sure you will find something to suit you somewhere in there.

The Mesa DC's are a pretty good value these days used. DC-3 30W (4 EL84s), DC-5 50W (2 6L6s) DC-10 100W (4 6L6s). A combo + a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab and you have a huge range of what you can cover.

+1 on a JCM 800. Looking for the right deal on one to complement my Boogie.

marshall_logo.gif

this.

and with the new haze out, you can get good marshall tone for relatively cheap. is the haze as good as a dimed plex thru a 4x12i? prolly not, but it wont make you evacuate your bowels when you play in front of it either. :)/

or get the cops called on you.

is the haze as good as a dimed plex thru a 4x12i? prolly not' date=' but it wont make you evacuate your bowels when you play in front of it either. :D/

or get the cops called on you.[/quote']

Or drain your life savings! :)

Are you playing out there live with a drummer or are you mostly in your "guitar room"? If you are in your guitar room, and want real tubes that breaks up for good distortion (for all but the heaviest metal), that little Blackstar HV5 combo or stack like deVeeWees' is plenty nice. (don't let 5 watts fool ya...it's LOUD) If you need big metal sounds, just get a good amp/effects gizmo, like a Digitech RP 155, and a solid state amp. Everybody makes a good solid state amp these days for pretty cheap.

Archived