Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best guitar amplifier brand?

Alekseriator

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Neo. What's the budget? Purpose? Style of music? I've owned a bunch of amps, but these days I want something that's versatile without owning a bunch of different amps. So I went for a Line 6 Vetta II. Yes I can tell the difference between it and a tube amp, but modeling amps have come a long way in recent years.

I play rock, heavy rock and puck-rock. My budjet is around 500$ or less. I looking for a good amp that will make Les Paul sound like one and distortion is not the only thing, i need like a balance between distortion and clean. I heard a lot about Fender and Marshall amps are they any good??

I play rock' date=' heavy rock and puck-rock. My budjet is around 500$ or less. I looking for a good amp that will make Les Paul sound like one and distortion is not the only thing, i need like a balance between distortion and clean. I heard a lot about Fender and Marshall amps are they any good??[/quote']

If you're looking for something reasonable in that price range I'd go with the Vox Valvetronix Series, probably the AD30VT or the AD50VT. They sound great, have a lot of different sounds in them and you can plug headphones into them. I have an AD30VT, its a lot of fun. You can get a Fender sound, a Marshall sound and so on and it has some effects built in. Honestly, they are a lot of fun and well priced. I wish they had them when I started playing guitar.

If you're looking to gig or play with a drummer, get a bigger combo or a half stack. Look for Marshall if you play rock, heavy rock and punk like you stated. If you're just playing at home, also look for a Fender Champ with a good distortion/overdrive pedal.

are you into light stuff? get a vox30.

are you into a moderate/heavy sound? get a marshall.

in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either of those amps if you're looking for the sounds i just described to you. they are your basic amps that should get you going... until 5 years later when you want more gear =(

I play rock' date=' heavy rock and puck-rock. My budjet is around 500$ or less. I looking for a good amp that [b']will make Les Paul sound like one[/b] and distortion is not the only thing, i need like a balance between distortion and clean. I heard a lot about Fender and Marshall amps are they any good??

In that case look for a used Marshall JCM800. You might have to stretch your budget by a few hundred but it'll be worth it.

In that case look for a used Marshall JCM800. You might have to stretch your budget by a few hundred but it'll be worth it.
+1. I paid about a grand for my DSL 401 Super Lead and I will never regret it!

I've had this amp for almost 10 years now, and I've NEVER had to change a single tube! And this thing has been cranked ALL the way up, Hendrix-style (everything up to 10)!

Amps are just as personal as a guitar. Look at what type of music you like to play an base your choice on that.

I love amps without distortion becase I´m a pedal man.

I recently purchased a Hiwatt DG212 (David Gilmour) combo an that´s just heaven! Only has 7 knobs and not even reverb. But it's built like a tank and has (in my opinion) the best sounding clean channel ever.

Instead of opening another thread, I just ask here...

I own a Marshall Valvestate VS65R and a IMG Stage Line GAB-66DC (probably rather unknown - the company is monacor international) for a long time and as I started playing again much more I recognized that my taste changed a bit.

I still like the Marshall very much, but it is just too big for my needs. With the other, smaller amp (6W solid state) I can`t really get the sound I want now (as always in this (my) case... the problem sits behind the guitar... ;-) )...

So I started looking for other amps (brands and sounds)... I would like a simple amp (just one or two channels) with a good, warm, clean sound (Jazz, Blues). I`d like to keep it simple and I guess I could use pedals if need arises to vary the sound (I just own a chorus and an overdrive pedal... reverb would be another option I`d like). I have a LP Studio Custom with PAF-Humbuckers. At the moment I`m mostly playing for myself, so no plans for playing in a band (or getting on big stages ;-) )

To cut it short...

Has anyone experience with one of these:

- Roland Jazz Chorus JC 120B

- Polytone Amps (the minibrute for example)

- other amps that would fit?

Suggestions and sharing your experience is appreciated... as are your suggestions already made in this thread.

Instead of opening another thread' date=' I just ask here...

I own a Marshall Valvestate VS65R and a IMG Stage Line GAB-66DC (probably rather unknown - the company is monacor international) for a long time and as I started playing again much more I recognized that my taste changed a bit.

I still like the Marshall very much, but it is just too big for my needs. With the other, smaller amp (6W solid state) I can`t really get the sound I want now (as always in this (my) case... the problem sits behind the guitar... ;-) )...

So I started looking for other amps (brands and sounds)... I would like a simple amp (just one or two channels) with a good, warm, clean sound (Jazz, Blues). I`d like to keep it simple and I guess I could use pedals if need arises to vary the sound (I just own a chorus and an overdrive pedal... reverb would be another option I`d like). I have a LP Studio Custom with PAF-Humbuckers. At the moment I`m mostly playing for myself, so no plans for playing in a band (or getting on big stages ;-) )

To cut it short...

Has anyone experience with one of these:

- Roland Jazz Chorus JC 120B

- Polytone Amps (the minibrute for example)

- other amps that would fit?

Suggestions and sharing your experience is appreciated... as are your suggestions already made in this thread.

[/quote']

For blues/jazz sound like you asked, i think that you could get something from the following:

- From the Fender Hot Rod Series (Blues Junior, Pro Junior, Hot Rod Deville)

- From the Vox Valvetronix Series (Vox VT15, VT30, VT50, VT100)

- Orange Tiny Terror

- Marshall Haze

- Fender Champ

These are tube amps, that I think that can supply you that clean warm sound.

Man that's like saying how long is a piece of string. To start with I've got a few Gibson, some Fenders, and other misc makers. I usually use a Marshall half stack (DSL50 c/w GB speaker in the cab), but sometimes a Marshall 6161 combo. In the past I've found the the Marshall have been working fine with the Gibsons (HB or P90). However last month I bought a TV Yellow DC Jnr VOS. In the house it sounded ok. TBH I was a bit surprised at first that it did not blow my P90 Melodymaker into the weeds. I took the DC to practice one night and played it loud through the half stack......not overly impressed. However, I got out my Fender Supersonic combo and tried that. Sounded killer, what a difference. So different guitars for different amps etc etc. I've had/have Seymore Duncans, Burman, Hi-Watt, Line 6, several Marshalls, Fenders, and Vox AC30's. They all sound the same but differnet if you know what I mean. I suppose you have to get your guitar and try the amps that you fancy trying out, then choose from there.

I hope you find something you like.

Based on your musical preference and your budget I'll go ahead and tell ya that Train Wreck, Dumble, and Z are way out of the question.

For $500 even a loud tube amp may be out.

I didn't see what you needed it for - bed room, garage band, small club, or larger venue? If you have access to them you should check out the black star amps as they are tube and decent sounding both clean and distorted.

Blackstar HT mini half stack for around $600

Archived