Gibson Brands Forums

I am 49 and just gave Buckethead a listen.

GibsonByBirth

I think he's more than a competent guitarist. Hell, he might even have greatness in him. The gimmick of a mask and a chicken bucket limit his growth. It is something he must outgrow to grow as an artist. You young fans of his are enjoying him now but you will out grow your childhood. A few dacades ago I was amazed when I first heard Mark Knopfler. Had he just done the same thing and not became versital, Dire Straights would have been more nostalgic memories of my youth. Here

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 42 and cannot believe how technically proficient and time-skillful the fellow is. He has put in his time and has mastered his lessons.

Given that, his music isn't for me. I've said it before, but believe if he'd take a couple of years off, concentrate on 15-20 songs and really put everything he had into those, then record the best 10-12, he'd really be something. Regardless of the genre or style, whatever his preference. The guy has skills and talent, but so far, he's just showcased his chops. He really needs to find his heart, his niche, and greatness will follow. Mass production of every genre isn't that.

Dude can play though... He's learned everything he can about the technical theory. He just needs to find his niche.

Yeah, these two did some neat duets.

They're among my examples of guys who gain class with age - although both were exceptional talents in their younger days too.

Another I haven't mentioned before but I've always thought was a unique stylist and an extremely talented solo picker is Leo Kottke.

The young flashy guitar pickers seem to pick up the gobs of cash, but it's the ones who make a business of it, have talent and something of a name, who make the better living, I think.

I'm reminded of meeting a small town service station mechanic who'd played with a "one hit wonder" type of band in the 50s. They somehow never figured how to make a living over a longer term.

I'd almost like to see some "reports" on the guys who do make it long term not so much on how they play guitar or what equipment they have, but more along the lines of how they make a living at it - from bookers on through figuring costs, etc., etc., etc.

m

He is extremely talented in a variety of different styles of guitar playing. There's no arguing that he can play, but can he write or create anything of value? I'm not a big fan of his music, but I think he found his niche- his music and his proficiency. That's what he likes to play. If he were destined to write great music, he probably would have already done so. There is greatness in his ability to play the instrument. He also has an alter ego now I think, but I don't remember what it is.

I think he's more than a competent guitarist. Hell' date=' he might even have greatness in him. The gimmick of a mask and a chicken bucket limit his growth. It is something he must outgrow to grow as an artist. You young fans of his are enjoying him now but you will out grow your childhood. A few dacades ago I was amazed when I first heard Mark Knopfler. Had he just done the same thing and not became versital, Dire Straights would have been more nostalgic memories of my youth. Here

Good on you for giving him an unbiased listen. However I don't know where you get the idea that we're all kids (actually yeah I do, guitarest's posts come to mind), I'm 30, with two children of my own, and I couldn't care less if he keeps the Bucket on his head until the day he dies. Seeing that he's 40 and has worn the bucket for 2 decades, I can't see it coming off any time soon. He doesn't want mainstream appeal, and it's working. As long as he keeps evolving musically, not visually, I'll be happy.

A large proportion of his fanbase are older than me. A lot of older serious musicians also appreciate his work and have brought him in on countless recording sessions, such as Bill Laswell, Derek Bailey, Michael Shrieve, Jonas Hellborg, Iggy Pop, John Zorn, and Bernie Worrell to name a few.

He just needs to find his niche.

I'd argue that he's already found his niche. His compositions lately have been extremely original' date=' for example - listen to "Formless Present", or the title track from the album "A real diamond in the rough". If he keeps creating material like that, I'll keep buying it.

The main thing that attracts me to Buckethead is his compositions, his technical ability is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

There's no arguing that he can play' date=' but can he write or create anything of value? [/quote']

This of course depends on who you ask, but many would say yes. Imho his music is more valuable than most of the crap being released now days.

If he were destined to write great music' date=' he probably would have already done so. [/quote']

Oh but he has already done so, many many times over. You just need to know where to look, as with any artist.

Good on you for giving him an unbiased listen. However I don't know where you get the idea that we're all kids (actually yeah I do' date=' guitarest's posts come to mind), I'm 30, with two children of my own, and I couldn't care less if he keeps the Bucket on his head until the day he dies. Seeing that he's 40 and has worn the bucket for 2 decades, I can't see it coming off soon. He doesn't want mainstream appeal, and it's working. As long as he keeps evolving musically, not visually, I'll be happy.

[/quote']

I got the impression that the majority of his fan base were kids because of the childish gimmick. I had no idea that he was 40 and that he's been around for two decades. That makes the gimmick seem odder.

Is he really growing musically? I don't know. I just heard of him, so I am asking.

Did you give my guy an unbias listen? Have you heard his mastery of his guitar? Have you seen him evolve. It may not be your taste and that's ok but give a listen. That's how we learn.

That's how I learned to understand jazz. Dance to disco as well as salsa, sing country and play the Blues. All are gendres I like as well as the many forms of rock.

I got the impression that the majority of his fan base were kids because of the childish gimmick. I had no idea that he was 40 and that he's been around for two decades. That makes the gimmick seem odder.

Is he really growing musically? I don't know. I just heard of him' date=' so I am asking.[/quote']

Probably the main reason he wears the mask is because he's extremely shy and simply couldn't face an audience as himself. Bucket said in an interview that the reason for his mask is (and I quote, from an interview in 1996):

"I thought it made sense with the way I play", he explains. "I play all this weird stuff, but if I just look like me, it isn't going to work. But, if I'm like this weird freak..." If anything, Carroll feels that becoming Buckethead has allowed him to express himself more freely than he would as unassuming Brian Carroll. "It opened the door to endless possibilities" ... "I can work anything into that character and make it totally work" - from http://qfg.info/misc/destroyallmonsters.txt

He's definitely grown musically over the years, it's hard for me to explain how, as his work covers so many genres. His discography is simply daunting, having been on around 150 albums of which over 50 he's had creative control. Here's a link to his discography for your perusal;

http://buckethead.wikia.com/wiki/Buckethead_discography

Did you give my guy an unbias listen? Have you heard his mastery of his guitar? Have you seen him evolve. It may not be your taste and that's ok but give a listen. That's how we learn.

Who, Mark Knopfler? The guy is an absolute monster guitar player and one of my all time favorites, love his work. They simply don't come much better than that. Preaching to the choir mate :)

In an earlier post about Buckethead, I said his detractors reminded me of what we heard with Randy Rhodes and KISS. Same critique. Google Randy and see what many writers were saying about him and Ozzy when "Blizzard" was released.

Still, like my parents thought before me with so many musicians I enjoy, I don't care for his stuff.

He does know music theory and can execute it on the fretboard. Do I get what he's doing? No, not really. Can I appreciate his deftness, oh yeah. Wish I could master the strings that way. My interpretation would be drastically different, though...

He does know music theory and can execute it on the fretboard. Do I get what he's doing?

It's actually not all that hard to understand, his tonal music anyway, it's all Aeolian - get that under your fingers and you're half way there :) As for his atonal stuff, I don't get what he's doing either.

In an earlier post about Buckethead' date=' I said his detractors reminded me of what we heard with Randy Rhodes and KISS. Same critique. Google Randy and see what many writers were saying about him and Ozzy when "Blizzard" was released.

Still, like my parents thought before me with so many musicians I enjoy, I don't care for his stuff.

[/quote']

Good points! Yes, Blizzard and Diary got some shockingly bad reviews!; many metal aficionados and even musicologists, think they are two of the best metal albums ever made now though!

Sometimes we have to realise it is not the artist that lacks, but our own ability to grasp what they are doing that is the problem. That is the hard part for people in general, as the old ego would always rather congratulate itself and dismiss the obstacle, as it poses a threat to it's credibility.

Matt

Its is my belief that this was posted to start yet another thread to cause problems. It might be ' date=' it might not be, but if it does get that I will not only delete this one, but all involve in the soon to come bit ch fest will be delt with. by the rules of this forum.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure that GibsonByBirth did not intend to start problems, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Sometimes we have to realise it is not the artist that lacks' date=' but our own ability to grasp what they are doing that is the problem. That is the hard part for people in general, as the old ego would always rather congratulate itself and dismiss the obstacle, as it poses a threat to it's credibility.

[/quote']

Well said Matt. You just hit the nail on the head.

Guys being honest here I really don't understand the intent (if there was one) with this yet another Buckethead thread. But if it gets like every other one I will lock this one down. Its is my belief that this was posted to start yet another thread to cause problems. It might be ' date=' it might not be, but if it does get that I will not only delete this one, but all involve in the soon to come bit ch fest will be delt with. by the rules of this forum.

Also just to let myself be perfectly understood, I do not do anything without the knowledge of others who appointed me to this position.[/quote']

Well if you think this was to cause problems, then you haven't been reading closely enough. I state in the title that I gave him a listen. I did not put him down. I stated that I thought he was talented but like artist from my youth he needed to grow. I said his gimmick was a drawback. I was asking for info and Mcmurray gave me insightful info. The intent of this thread was to broaden my musical horizons.

What was your intent?

Buckethead earns way more money playing his music than I do playing mine.

Buckethead has way more fans than I do too.

Buckethead plays the music he wants to play and thus has my total respect.

I don't especially enjoy his music, but..... SO WHAT?

I will defend both his right to play what he wants to play, and what he plays

against anyone who says "it's crap" because to him and his listeners it is NOT.

So ban me..... oh, and I'm pushing sixty - not that it makes any difference !!!!.

Buckethead earns way more money playing his music than I do playing mine.

Buckethead has way more fans than I do too.

Buckethead plays the music he wants to play and thus has my total respect.

I don't especially enjoy his music' date=' but..... [b']SO WHAT?[/b]

I will defend both his right to play what he wants to play, and what he plays

against anyone who says "it's crap" because to him and his listeners it is NOT.

So ban me..... oh, and I'm pushing sixty - not that it makes any difference !!!!.

I like your 1000th post, very well said Thermionik.

This of course depends on who you ask' date=' but many would say yes. Imho his music is more valuable than most of the crap being released now days.

[/quote']

I had to laugh at this comment - I'm not talking about BH or his music/ability at all. But I think if your opinion was truly "humble" (Imho) then you wouldn't call most of the other stuff being released "crap."

I'm just sayin...

I had to laugh at this comment - I'm not talking about BH or his music/ability at all. But I think if your opinion was truly "humble" (Imho) then you wouldn't call most of the other stuff being released "crap."

I'm just sayin...

I said most - who knows' date=' maybe I'm wrong and not looking hard enough. Music I had in mind was bands like "Attack Attack", "Dragonforce", and most of whatever is being played on popular radio these days.

Fact is, a huge amount of new music [i']is[/i] crap.

Of course there is some good stuff being released, even excellent stuff - but you really have to look for it.

Hey, at least I'm giving new music a chance, and not dismissing anything after 1985 by principle like some people here.

Fact is' date=' a huge amount of new music [i']is[/i] crap.

What does "new" have to do with it?

I've played in everything from full-blown Philharmonic orchestras to punk bands - in my experience, the stuff the audience likes is usually the cheesiest of hooks and/or the obvious tone-bath stuff.

What's wrong with giving folks what they want?

This thread is definitely more critical and polite than the others. Kudos to those participating....you may not like the music, and thats ok....and you may not like the bucket and mask, and that also is ok. But you can't say this cat can't play the guitar! To many people, he is not Buckethead without his "costume"...it's a character...no different than Alice Cooper or Kiss. Yes, its a gimmick according to the popular definition.

I think someone else wrote this somewhere else...hehe...no one starts listening to Buckethead BECAUSE of the Bucket and mask....thats a ridiculous thought. I used to "hang out" in an Mr Bungle IRC "Room" and one of my buddies there one day sends me an mp3 called "I Come in Peace" by someone named Buckethead. I had never heard of him....had never seen him and so i proceeded to listen. My jaw dropped....the music connected with me. Isn't that what its about? I found out what he looked like later, and it really didn't matter to me....i didn't think it was "AWESOME!" or "LAME!"....it simply was.

Now I truly do not think about his getup...i watch his fingers on the fretboard, and I appreciate his music. I think its worth it to say that Buckethead has released multiple major label albums, yet he has now chosen to go the indie route with his friend Travis Dickerson. This shows me his dedication to do things the way he wants to do them. Someone asked if he could create something of value or become greatness...I believe he's already done both many many times. As always, its in the ear and heart of the listener. It either hits you, or it doesn't. Arguing is pointless.

Thanks for reading everyone...its nice to take part in a civil conversation about Buckethead on this board!

Archived