Gibson Brands Forums

I am 49 and just gave Buckethead a listen.

GibsonByBirth

Guitar talent considered, I need vocals.

Years ago I bought Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare and thought it was great. Listened to it a couple of times and quickly got bored.

Now I love the sound of electric guitar as much as anybody. That is why I play. Quite well I might add, but I need vocals.

Since then I have never bought another Vai record. No Satriani or Buckethead. No matter what style it is. Instrumentals are nothing more than elevator music.

Give me the likes of Halford, Hetfield, Stanley, Scott, Johnson. A guitar is a vehicle that opens us up. Vocals fill the gap and tell the story.

IMO!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear that....I just don't agree for my own tastes. I find so many artists lyrics are so bloody awful that I try to ignore them anyway. I actually like to hear all the instruments together without the distraction of someone whining/screaming about something hehehehe.....

This guy caused a bit of conversation a while back. And he's doing quite well now.

How about this youngster then AXE?

Quite diverse too if you check out some of his other stuff .

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

BTW, he won the contest that the original vid with the dude above was from. Not that it really matters - just trivia...

DJ

--

This thread is definitely more critical and polite than the others. Kudos to those participating....you may not like the music' date=' and thats ok....and you may not like the bucket and mask, and that also is ok. But you can't say this cat can't play the guitar! To many people, he is not Buckethead without his "costume"...it's a character...no different than Alice Cooper or Kiss. Yes, its a gimmick according to the popular definition.

[/quote']

Good points about Kiss and Alice Cooper. Both were bands that I liked in my youth. They didn't grow very much and now their music all sounds the same, stagnate.

Happy 100th post to me and I didn't use the lame bump thread.

GibsonByBirth, I'm past half my allotted lifetime too, and when I found BH it was a musical revitalization for me. It's not often I find "new" music that I like, but he appealed to me on many levels. I don't mind the bucket and wacky back story and all that (which may indeed limit his appeal with many), I see it as a bit of surreal art. Lucky me, I guess :-)

DJ

--

Please...

...without the BUCKET he would still be posting on Youtube.

He was recording and gigging long before YouTube existed' date=' even before the Web as we know it existed.

When are yall going to wake up; its the gimmick that got you attracted to him.

No, it wasn't. It was the music. At least for me.

I bet majority of you don't even know his real name.

I think most fans do know, but it's beyond the point. He's Buckethead, the artist. Lots of artists have stage names.

So I have respected your post, now respect my feelings and don't get all personal if someone does not like this guys style.

I have no idea who that was addressed to or why(?) We know that you don't like him. And we all agree that it's fine not to. No problem.

DJ

--

GibsonByBirth' date=' I'm past half my allotted lifetime too, and when I found BH it was a musical revitalization for me. It's not often I find "new" music that I like, but he appealed to me on many levels. I don't mind the bucket and wacky back story and all that (which may indeed limit his appeal with many), I see it as a bit of surreal art. Lucky me, I guess :-)

DJ

--[/quote']

Yeah, I think that he's talanted. I don't like the music alot but it is interesting and might grow on me. I think he is so past needing a gimmick.

As far as musical revitalization, this hit me right between the eyes. It was a very low part of my life. I lost my son and my first marrage did not survive that loss. Salsa gave me joy again. I met my new wife while salsa dancing. We have two kids. 7 and 9.

Guitar talent considered' date=' I need vocals.

Years ago I bought Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare and thought it was great. Listened to it a couple of times and quickly got bored.

Now I love the sound of electric guitar as much as anybody. That is why I play. Quite well I might add, but I need vocals.

Since then I have never bought another Vai record. No Satriani or Buckethead. No matter what style it is. Instrumentals are nothing more than elevator music.

Give me the likes of Halford, Hetfield, Stanley, Scott, Johnson. A guitar is a vehicle that opens us up. Vocals fill the gap and tell the story.

IMO!![/quote']

;) =D> =D>

but I did say many weeks ago and its even said here again; without the BUCKET he would still be posting on Youtube. When are yall going to wake up; its the gimmick that got you attracted to him. I bet majority of you don't even know his real name.

I definitely respect your opinion on his music....Its cool. Like I said in my post' date=' with any music, it either hits you or it doesn't.

I will address the above quote in order....

No one can say "he wouldn't be where he is....." (which by the way is not stardom).....you have no idea what could/would happen IF anything were different. Is this a statement that can be proven? I believe they call that conjecture in a court room.

You seem to think [b']you know [/b]why Buckethead fans like him. Go and read my post and you will see that is it not the bucket that attracted me and that I had never seen the man (or the Bucket!) before I heard his music.

Last....I would say at this point that most Buckethead fans know his name but would rather never have learned. It's just a NAME. He performs under the moniker Buckethead and so we, as fans respect the fact that he does not want his real name used.

So dislike his music all you want...we can't all like anything, but please qualify your arguments....your statements above are not opinion based statements....you state them like facts and yet they are not. You can't just make stuff up and say its true.

As far as musical revitalization' date=' this hit me right between the eyes. It was a very low part of my life. I lost my son and my first marrage did not survive that loss. Salsa gave me joy again. I met my new wife while salsa dancing. We have two kids. 7 and 9.

See that's a great example! I'm glad this music gave you joy....and you said it...it HIT you....it sounds like it helped you get through some real tough times...music is incredible that way.

I checked out that video and it didn't have the same effect on me, but Bucket's does...every time i listen to it.

Music should be about what supports you and makes you feel good about life. ;)

if it gets like every other one I will lock this one down. Its is my belief that this was posted to start yet another thread to cause problems. if it does get that I will not only delete this one' date=' but all involve in the soon to come bit ch fest will be delt with. by the rules of this forum.

Also just to let myself be perfectly understood, I do not do anything without the knowledge of others who appointed me to this position.[/quote']

This was a freindly discussion amoung those that had different view points. I started this thread to show that I was willing to listen to new things too. I thought that this was a must if I was to ask the younger generation to listen to my stuff.

There was no '***** fest'. You are starting trouble and threatening to throw you weight around. We all understand that you have power. Like the real police those that want to be one shouldn't be. Don't abuse the power.

See that's a great example! I'm glad this music gave you joy....and you said it...it HIT you....it sounds like it helped you get through some real tough times...music is incredible that way.

I checked out that video and it didn't have the same effect on me' date=' but Bucket's does...every time i listen to it.

Music should be about what supports you and makes you feel good about life. ;)

[/quote']

Exactly. If you are willing to listen to something different, you might be changed. I don'teven speak Spanish so the vocals are like an instrument.

Great sense of confidence there Dom... You have time' date=' you in your teens; instaed of hanging out here when not in school; pick up that guitar.

[/quote']

I know man... I play when Im sittin here readin the exceptionally long posts...

I know it's weird.. but when I say that stuff it just makes me want to play more and get better... weird self motivation thing...

I know I have time....

I'm not an overly confident person by nature

OK my turn' date=' I was a huge KISS fan, not so much Cooper. But my tastes have changed also, and this is something that no one can change. I have listened to bucketchuck and its not my cup of tea. I don't care if your 49 (I'm 47) or 10 years old if you don't like the music; you don't like it. I have matured with what I listen too and this style of music is not something I enjoy or will listen to again. I liked Satch and Vai when they first came out but haven't listened to either until Chickenfoot. Notice the difference, VOCALS and no shredding. Not once did I say he wasn't talented, but I did say many weeks ago and its even said here again; without the BUCKET he would still be posting on Youtube. When are yall going to wake up; its the gimmick that got you attracted to him. I bet majority of you don't even know his real name. Thats fine love his music, go to bed with it; go fishing with it; or drink beers to it. I don't care for that musician or his style of music, and no matter how many threads you start its not going to get me to like it. I did the nice thing and I did listen to his music, I DON"T care for it. So I have respected your post, now respect my feelings and don't get all personal if someone does not like this guys style.

I'm done[/quote']

I think it's awesome that you're confident enough in your own tastes to be honest with yourself and others, but I think you're crossing the line from respectfully disagreeing to obnoxiousness. We understand that you don't like his music. You've made that clear a few threads ago. What you haven't made clear is why you continuously go out of your way to Buckethead appreciation threads to reiterate that you don't like him.

Your opinion on his gimmick says a lot more about you then it does about the Bucket fans. Sure, it draws attention to him, but you seem to think that everyone is as obsessed with appearances as you and isn't capable of moving beyond them. Not only that, but you group everyone who is a technically proficient player into the "shredder" category. You fail to realize the amount of variety that can be found there, and, because of that, you don't see how far his music alone separates him. Gimmick or not, Bucketheads options will never be limited to posting videos of himself on youtube unless he wants them to be.

Every Bucket fan knows his real name. Every Bucket fan knows what he looks like. A good percentage even know his mailing address. It's not hard to find. Some people act like it's some kind of well guarded secret. It's no big deal.

I really hope you've gotten this out of your system.

It's nice to finally have a rational conversation with you guys without all the inane comments, :oilpit: not withstanding.

What does "new" have to do with it?

Read the statement by djroge1 - it's what we were talking about :-k

without the BUCKET he would still be posting on Youtube.

Bootsy Collins (look him up) hired Buckethead in 1991 on the spot upon listening to his music' date=' at which time he new absolutely nothing about the bucket.

When are yall going to wake up; its the gimmick that got you attracted to him.

No. As much as you would like this to be the case it's simply not. In fact, the 'gimmick' turned me off for quite a few years, and I wouldn't give the guy a chance. It was by accident that I heard his music, then I was completely oblivious to the 'gimmick'. Sometimes I think he wears the bucket so people like you (and me a few years back) would disregard his music. It clearly works.

His real name is Brian Carroll - most fans are aware of this. Here's another guitarist with a funny name: Bumblefoot. Check him out, funny name, but he's one of todays best.

Guitar talent considered' date=' I need vocals.

IMO!![/quote']

Fair enough, 99% of the general public need vocals, that's your bag, and I'm not arguing. I appreciate a good vocal, but I don't need it. You want to hear Buckethead in a band environment? Listen to Chinese Democracy by Guns n' Roses - vocals galore.

As far as musical revitalization' date=' this hit me right between the eyes. It was a very low part of my life. I lost my son and my first marrage did not survive that loss. Salsa gave me joy again. I met my new wife while salsa dancing. We have two kids. 7 and 9.

I can't begin to understand how hard that would have been. It's amazing the healing effect that music can have. Glad you found joy again!

Also i'm getting real sick of these freakin buckethead threads

Like it or not, you can't control if someone decides to start a thread asking for more information about him. I couldn't care less if you're getting sick of these threads. There will be more to come. Just ignore them, have a coke and smile.

Archived