Gibson Brands Forums

82 SG Quality?

CAB1

Hi I'm looking to buy my first SG. I've seen one second hand that looks like a 61 reissue. The serial number dates it to 1982. The finish on the stain between the headstock and the neck shows slight difference in shade. Does anyone know if this is common or is it likely to be a fake or to have been refinished? I've heard that gibson quality took a dip in the 80s, am I likely to be buying rubbish if I go for this guitar. It's for sale at £750.

Thanks for any advice

For LPs anyways, I think the crappy years (some say crappy years, anyways) were the 70s, but quality improved in the 80s.

I'm just throwing ideas out here...the difference in colour could just be sunlight hitting only certain parts. Maybe a repair some time ago? It's hard to tell without seeing it. Do you have pictures?

Have you played the guitar? The only way to tell if it's rubbish is by playing it...don't just go by the production year.

£750? What does a new one cost in jolly old England? It can't be that much more $.

Hi, new ones vary. The specials are cheaper but some I've tried feel poorly put together. There aren't many Gibson dealers in the North West but they do dost more than this one. I'm told the previous owner added 60s PAFs. Played through a Marshall the sound is unreal. It feels good, but I'm no expert. I can't figure out how to attach photos. [/img]

Hi' date=' new ones vary. The specials are cheaper but some I've tried feel poorly put together. There aren't many Gibson dealers in the North West but they do dost more than this one. I'm told the previous owner added 60s PAFs. Played through a Marshall the sound is unreal. It feels good, but I'm no expert. I can't figure out how to attach photos. [img'][/img]

If you convert £750 to Canadian dollars, that's around the price of a new 61 here.

Read this if you wan to post pics.

If this is the only SG you've played, I suggest you try a few more out before buying it.

I'm no expert either, but if you're considering buying this one, here are a few things you should do. My tech gave me this advice for examining used guitars:

See if the neck is straight. If the neck is perfectly straight or has a smooth & consistent bow, then it's fine. If it has a sort of small bump somewhere down the middle, don't ever consider it. Not exactly, but think of a "W"

Try adjusting the neck, relieve the neck a little bit...no more than 1/8 of a turn, then tighten back to where it was. If the nut is seized, don't buy it.

Remove the rear plate and inspect the wiring. If it's a real mess, don't buy it because the previous owner was probably an idiot that didn't know what he was doing...and you don't want an idiot's guitar. (I like this one O:) it made me laugh!)

SG1.jpg.com/albums/kk138/cabSG6.jpg3108/SG3.jpg[/img]sg4.jpg279.photobucket.com/albums/kk138/cab3108/SG5.jpg[/img]SG2.jpg

Thanks for that. We pay more for most things in the Uk than you seem to in either Canada or the USA. I imported a Wachburn idol from the Sates and, even with import duties I saved over £200. I have tried other SGs, and found them to vary greatly in terms of build and sound. Never tried a reissue or an old one though. The neck on this one seems perfect and the electrics seem ok, though I've not been able to open the cover up. It is from a retailer so I've got some cover if it turns out to be faulty.

Craig

That may be......but The contour of the body doesn't look right to me either......Where you're arm usually rests on the guitar that region looks funky like the body isn't carved out as it should.....

this part doesnt look right!

0407081636.jpg

0407081635.jpg

Just wanted to post this.

EDIT: Also, a wrap around bridge in the 80's? I didn't think they used those on that guitar in the 80's.

That may be......but The contour of the body doesn't look right to me either......Where you're arm usually rests on the guitar that region looks funky like the body isn't carved out as it should....

Now that I look back at the pictures of it, you're right, the contour does look too small....

Archived