Gibson Brands Forums

Should I do the replacement myself or by a luthier?

DeVeeWee

I think the hole diameter that is required by Grover tuners is a little bigger than the one that is required by the tulip tuners. You will have to file the hole wider (ok, I know it sounds a little dirty, but this really wasn't my intention).

I can't tell you what to do, but if I were to do this mod and didn't feel comfortable enough with a file in my hands, I'd take the guitar to a luthier (but I wouldn't be able to, since there are no luthiers in Greece hah-ha!)

One love star

Take it to a luthier.

I didn't have the balls to do it on my Les Paul - still don't.

If you do, don't attempt it with a hand drill.

Gotta have a drill press for control and figure a way to keep the headstock perfectly flat.

Also, clamp a piece of wood tightly to the back side.

When the drill goes through the headstock, it won't flake or chip off the back side because your sacrificial block of wood will hold the headstock together tightly.

Like I said, take it to a luthier.

Grover Rotomatics can't be beat.

If you don't try it yourself you'll never learn how to do anything. All it takes is a couple of specific "hand tools". There are many books and internet articles on the subject, study up and give it a whirl.

Eveything you might need, including the tuners and the "how to" are probably available from Stew-Mac.

Thanks guys! I'm convinced now to let a luthier do the job! iSoto' date=' you're right about the different hole dimensions, and hearing NeoConMan about the necessity of specific craft tools, I'll keep my hands off the job! Thx!!![/quote']

A lot of time you end up spending the same amount on supplies/tools as you would paying a luthier. It might be worth it if you think you will use those tools again.

I can understand Mark's point, but the problem is, I don't have any beginners guitar anymore,...that's the one and only advantage of being an old guitar player...LOL! So, I can't image how I would react if that LP would be damaged...:-&#-o

Archived