Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul chambering - good or bad.

nitro

I agree' date=' short or long tenon it more than likely does not matter. Maybe this is just a marketing thing at Gibson with this "New Tenon Design". I would really like to see how different it is. But to me it does not matter. [/quote']

The "long tenon" is a cork sniffer's benchmark. It doesn't mean jack squat when it comes to the durability or playabilty of the guitar.

Gibson knows that their guitars carry a serious collector's cachet, and they're aiming some of their market at them. Good for Gibson - it's good business.

The problem lies with the players buying into the collector cachet and assuming that anything less than a top shelf "collector" Gibson is an inferior guitar. This fire gets fed by all of the internet drivel and noise over "Gibson QC".

A Good Les Paul doesn't have to have a long tenon, come from the Custom Shop with a certificate, be non-chambered, or whatever. There are tons of great Gibsons being made.

It comes down to:

Did you buy your Lester to play?

Or did you buy your Lester to collect and flip?

I'm a player. I couldn't be happier with my Gibsons. I bought these guitars to play, and they make me happy every time I plug one in.

Gibson's custmer service tell's that all les paul's as of mid 2006 have several holes placed in the body to less-in the weight, too many people complianed about the weight and now this is what we get. They did say that all the custom paul's use the heavyest blanks and they come in around 10lbs

Gibson's custmer service tell's that all les paul's as of mid 2006 have several holes placed in the body to less-in the weight' date=' too many people complianed about the weight and now this is what we get. They did say that all the custom paul's use the heavyest blanks and they come in around 10lbs[/quote']

Gibson has been putting the so-called "swiss cheese" weight relief holes in since the early 80s. The chambering began on USA LPs in 2006.

My poor old back, neck and shoulders really appreaciate the chambered LP's. They love my Melody Maker even more! Still, I am sure this will be a topic of discussion for some time to come. Play and enjoy!

Archived