Gibson Brands Forums

Your guitar purchase history?

guitarman8

I'm a newbie here but got a great idea to be talked about.

I'll start it off with my first real guitar bought for me by my sister. A 60's candy apple red Mosrite Ventures model $300 with case.

Ok from there I went to a Murray the K rock show in New York and on the bill were to new groups from England, The Fresh Cream and The Who. This changed things, I wanted the sustain sound, needed it.

So it was 1968 and at Manny's in New york I bought my first Les Paul a 1968 Fretless Wonder. But I couldn't bend the strings with those frets so Dan Armstrong in New York put bass frets on it for me. I used this Les Paul with with a newly purchased full stack Marshall 100 watt super lead.

Costs - $500 for the Les Paul with case

$900 for the full stack Marshall.

Ah these were beautiful times, great instruments and amps and prices. I'll bet you have some similar feelings?

That's a brief run of some of the fun I've had with guitars. Wonderful hobby

Notible Gibsons I've owned.

1968 ES335

1969 ES355

1976 Explorer special edition

1970's natural Flying V

I've played some of the greats from a collector friend of mine.

1959 Sunburst

1960 Cherry Sunburst

1957 Les Paul Gold Top

1958 Flying V he bought from Ronnie Montrose for $6,000. (tuff times I guess)

1958 3 pickup black custom.

1958 ES335 Dot neck

These guitars played and sounded so very sweet, warm and crisp would be a good description.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, I'll go next

1) Free classical POS - Got it for helping an evicted alchi move his stuff out of an apt. Needed string and bridge glued

2) Yamaha acoustic - found it in the advertising paper. ($50???) Nice sound, but wanted solid top

3) Charvel Charvette by Jackson - Thought Jackson's were supposed to be good (high end ones are) got guitar, Peavey KB amp, stand, and 10 cords, and tuner for $150 - sold the amp for $150 = free guitar

4) 50's Silvertone, like LP shape, but hollow with NO holes and 3 pickups with 3 volumes - Lots of cool sounds - sold for twice what I paid

5) Off Brand 12 string acoustic - free from my boss, new strings and cleaned it up - sold it for $125

6) Taylor 414kce Koa acoustic - Guitar center - nice guitar, too wide of a fret board, before Koa got restricted

7) '61 Martin D-18 - got from GF's grandpa who had alzheimers and forgot to hydrate - I glued 40 cracks, glued bridge back on, reset neck and did fret job - plays incredible and sounds amazing - got it free and it's worth 2-3k now.

8) GOR robot - found it 2 weeks after they were all sold out except this one, Best Buy flagship store near world headquarters was testing instrument sales and no one new = score!

9) Custom shop Strat with '62 specs - nice, but the more I play the LP, the more I want to sell this one.

Best thing I've ever played - 1963 Strat totally original in excellent condition. Seemed to play itself, I thought while I was playing, 'I'm not this good' Should have bought it $8000 when I looked at it in 2001.

Welcome and BTW you live in my favorite city. Well you have a great collection but we really need to see

some pics...please I really want to see that 68 69 335

I wish I could show them to you but I changed guitar like clothes, they're long gone but well remembered.

I have a picture of me with the 1968 and 100watt marshall.

http://www.videodementia.com/sales/tominbrooklyn.jpg

I live in California now, San Francisco Bay Area.

I have many good old friends from New York that made it in the music bizz.

Mark Bell aka Marky Ramone

Kenny Aranson bassit for Billy Squier, Fog Hat, just about everybody like Billy Idol, Joan Jet, Hall and Oats list goes on. He got Mark the tryout with the Ramones. Mark owes him big bucks for that. [-(

Plus a couple of guys that produced Kiss, Richie Wise / Kenny Kerner. These guys played with Mark Bell in a band called The Dust back in Brooklyn NY well before the Ramones.

One good time was when the Ramones singer Joey and Mark asked me to play live with them at two gigs in the bay area.

John their guitar player when asked said the Marshalls are all set at 10, everything bass treble pressence volume it's the best sound. lol

ok' date=' I'll go next

1) Free classical POS - Got it for helping an evicted alchi move his stuff out of an apt. Needed string and bridge glued

2) Yamaha acoustic - found it in the advertising paper. ($50???) Nice sound, but wanted solid top

3) Charvel Charvette by Jackson - Thought Jackson's were supposed to be good (high end ones are) got guitar, Peavey KB amp, stand, and 10 cords, and tuner for $150 - sold the amp for $150 = free guitar

4) 50's Silvertone, like LP shape, but hollow with NO holes and 3 pickups with 3 volumes - Lots of cool sounds - sold for twice what I paid

5) Off Brand 12 string acoustic - free from my boss, new strings and cleaned it up - sold it for $125

6) Taylor 414kce Koa acoustic - Guitar center - nice guitar, too wide of a fret board, before Koa got restricted

7) '61 Martin D-18 - got from GF's grandpa who had alzheimers and forgot to hydrate - I glued 40 cracks, glued bridge back on, reset neck and did fret job - plays incredible and sounds amazing - got it free and it's worth 2-3k now.

8) GOR robot - found it 2 weeks after they were all sold out except this one, Best Buy flagship store near world headquarters was testing instrument sales and no one new = score!

9) Custom shop Strat with '62 specs - nice, but the more I play the LP, the more I want to sell this one.

Best thing I've ever played - 1963 Strat totally original in excellent condition. Seemed to play itself, I thought while I was playing, 'I'm not this good' Should have bought it $8000 when I looked at it in 2001.

[/quote']

I had one of those silvertones, Sear and Robuck sold them. I had a Charvel also it was a early USA one, solid guitar.

"Custom shop Strat with '62 specs - nice, but the more I play the LP, the more I want to sell this one"

Interesting because I traded my 1968 Custom for a 60's Strat just to get into a different feel and tone. Still love a good Les Paul they're in your face and hard, strong guitar.

Jeez Louise.

I bought my first one in 1970 for $35 -- bought my latest last month for $1500. About 31 in between.

This is a topic best discussed in a pub that serves Guinness with a senior discount.l

First one of what for $35? Hey the younger guys got some great guitars also, dosen't have to be a $50,000 valued classic.

Hold up while I sip that singal malt. [-(

This is most of the guitars I've used in the last 10 years. They range from 1966-2008, Please excuse cross pollination

in photos. Some instruments I don't have pics of on their own. Some I don't have pics of at all.

Recent history:

MM.jpg

Jazz.jpg

DS.jpg

group2.jpg

2002.jpg

57Foto.jpg

Jags.jpg

Bass-1.jpg

Cyclone.jpg

Group2-1.jpg

Jags03.jpg

JJags.jpg

BeaterEpiSGsmall02.jpg

SG61reissueSmall.jpg

TealSGsmall01.jpg

This is most of the guitars I've used in the last 10 years. They range from 1966-2008' date=' Please excuse cross pollination

in photos. Some instruments I don't have pics of on their own. Some I don't have pics of at all.

Recent history:[/quote']

We have the same taste in fenders my friend...

So where do you live..ever wana jam? =P~

Hey dem00n, I live in the UK (Glasgow). I startedf with heavier music and I'm being pulled back towards it these days, hence the SG love. I'm still mainly a Fender guy at heart though. They've put out some great instruments and you can normally pick them up at a fair price.

The Fender Jaguar is my all time #1 as you can probably tell by the photos.

Hey dem00n' date=' I live in the UK (Glasgow). I startedf with heavier music and I'm being pulled back towards it these days, hence the SG love. I'm still mainly a Fender guy at heart though. They've put out some great instruments and you can normally pick them up at a fair price.

The Fender Jaguar is my all time #1 as you can probably tell by the photos.[/quote']

Dammint why do all the guys with nice guitar collections gota live far away. No one in new york. lol

Lol because in New York you're lucky if you get to find somebody who can actually play! I use to live there and only knew 1 person who knew how to play and owned their own guitar LOL

Bunch of ****ing EMG lovers here to...i wana move out!

NICE FENDERS!!! I only have a Fender 50's series strat that ive had for like 9 years and still in its solid condition with a Flyod Rose and EMG S-3's. other than that i didnt change too many things. ill get some pics later but dang those are some nice Fenders.

Lol because in New York you're lucky if you get to find somebody who can actually play! I use to live there and only knew 1 person who knew how to play and owned their own guitar LOL

RAWR I hate you because you have a 80s strat and I dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering I've been playing for over 25 years, I've really owned a very few guitars. In order:

1. No name LP copy - gone

2. Epi acoustic with p/u in soundhole - gone

3. Ibanez super strat style shred thing - gone

4. Kramer pointy shaped metal axe - gave to friend who is now my employer :P

5. MIM Strat - still have

6. Epi acoustic - gone

7. another no name LP copy (given to me) - gone

<--8. Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus - still have

<--9. Gibson SG Classic - still have

10. Ibanez PF acoustic - still have

Archived