Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Gibson Les Paul Custom?

GusSG916

smells like...spoiled brat [-o<

If you're talking about him then you are strongly mistaken, if you are talking about me you are to strongly mistaken, I work for everything I have.

No offense towards anyone in here but why is everybody so uptight, like you guys have no fun, just stick to topic, its business or no business I mean you cant even have your sig the way you want it let alone make a joke. Im not sure who actually took that comment seriously then all I have to say to you is just wow. Im not judging the rules but over at the Fender forums people have fun and just talk about random things. Its just healthy talk and if you cant talk about it here then where? Theres no even a section for off topic and if someone takes it seriously then maybe they're the one with a problem anywho I'm out until people chill out or stop being uptight, back to the Fender forums.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bro I feel ban all over my name but w/e. I just signed up because I wanted to talk to people about guitars and maybe learn some history and have fun but obviously this isnt the place. Maybe Ill go to one of the "Gibson Fan Websites" to talk real guitar. Lates

Bro I feel ban all over my name but w/e. I just signed up because I wanted to talk to people about guitars and maybe learn some history and have fun but obviously this isnt the place. Maybe Ill go to one of the "Gibson Fan Websites" to talk real guitar. Lates

We're not picking on you....

The thing is YOU ARENT LISTNING. You asked a question and we gave you answers and you're saying we're wrong. Now if you actually want to learn something or just talk about guitars then please do so. The thing that's getting everyone's hair in a knot is the fact that you wont listen. If he has the damn guitar deal with it. Do you really hate him that much.

This is the right place... if you're being reasonable.

Hmm.. lets see

Somewhat like going into boeing headquarters ad telling them how to build a plane. +:-@

My 3 cents

What?

I figured that's what apparently passes for written communication now. Just string together some random consonants interlaced with just enough real words to make it sound like english. dunno.gif

For example...

Ya dont be illiterate' date=' if you were to stay in skul...

...dont have my contact on atm.[/quote']

...but w/e.

...la8er ppl!!!!

Bluemoon is not stupid' date=' not at all.

Ok, maybe a little bit :-s

Ok, he is a retard=d> , but still his post was about your "NO I CANT LET HIM WIN" comment. So chill out.

[/quote']

Yeah...what he said. I am not stupid. I am just retarded.

Thanks Thunder...hey, wait a second...:-&

It COULD be possible the guitar was a build for an individual, or perhaps a prototype, hence the absent serial number? They were doing that back then, were they not? Special order guitars? At least moreso than they're doing now, if at all. I noticed open coil pickups, yeah, they're probably an add-on, but the weird burst on it...looks purple on my monitor, or perhaps the guitar may have been refinished, or completely reworked, check the edges of the frets, to see if the binding covers the ends of the frets, if not, it was re-fretted. You gotta remember, it's an old guitar, and God knows what it's been through up to this point. But again, I say it's real. Another thing you may want to check is the back top of the peghead, look for two screw holes. If they're present, then the number was on a metal plate, and from what I'm told, those were prototypes, or one-offs. Lots to look at to determine if it's real or not. If the bridge pins have a slot for a screw driver, it's fake. Knob placements another thing to look at, if their too close to the bridge, usually a fake. That guitars a Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Could this be one of the 'special' Gibsons? Didn't you guys hear that a few years ago people were going thru Gibson's dumpsters and scrounging parts to build their guitars?

Did your friend, err... arch enemy, ever take a trip to Nashville, oh say like 8-10 years ago? If it was me, I'd start hitting on his sister or mom, get in good with either of them, do the nasty if you MUST, so you can get the real information on how this dude got his guitar.

Yes, investigation is difficult business, but your rewards will be...........uh, I guess I can't really see what kind of rewards you're going to get.

***UPDATED PICTURES!!!***

Well as much as a guitar and Gibson freak as I am' date=' I'm not too much of a Les Paul guy even though I know how to spot fakes from a mile away. Well before I start I want to let you know that I do not own this guitar, a person I despise owns this (Lol). Well today he came into class with a what appears to be a Gibson Les Paul Custom, a first sight I said "Fake" because of the color and I was about 20 feet away. When it was in front of me I looked at the humbuckers and noticed they were not of a Custom. I got to play it and it sounded like pure cra*, my friends Squire sounded better. Then I got to actually look at it and it was heavy like a Les Paul but didnt play like a Gibson. Then the huge dead giveaway the really made me question this guitar was that there was no serial number on the headstock nor anywhere on the guitar. I know a lot about Gibson's history and about Customs but I' pretty sure that they all have a "Made in U.S.A" stamp carved into it and a serial number like my SG. What really ticks me off is that I had my Gibson SG with me today for the first time during the school year and he manages to bring his "Les Paul Custom" and has the nerve to say my SG "blows" and "...is not better than my Custom", he is going around saying he purchased the guitar for over $6.000. Someone please put my worries to rest and tell me if this guitar is fake or not and tell me how you know. Heres some pics I took during class, they're not too good and didnt get the headstock picture but maybe this is enough for you guys. (BTW that guy in the picture is not him, just a guy playing it and he also didnt have a Gibson case that comes with a high end Gibson, instead he had a broken case)

[img']http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/pepsi916/2009-10-21135920.jpg[/img]

2009-10-21135911.jpg

2009-10-21135940-1.jpg

***UPDATED*** (BTW this kid in the black is not me nor does he own the guitar, he just played it)

2009-10-26140857.jpg

2009-10-26140910.jpg

2009-10-26140941.jpg

2009-10-26140955.jpg

2009-10-26141040.jpg

2009-10-26141204.jpg

2009-10-26141600.jpg

Looks real to me. but what pickup is in the neck?

Looks like a norlin pancake guitar to me' date=' but I'm no expert ask AXE.[/quote']

Indeed: volute, no SN (it might have been just inked to begin with, and being old and having been played a lot it could have faded away).

Everything looks alright with that guitar.

Could this be one of the 'special' Gibsons? Didn't you guys hear that a few years ago people were going thru Gibson's dumpsters and scrounging parts to build their guitars?

Did your friend' date=' err... arch enemy, ever take a trip to Nashville, oh say like 8-10 years ago? If it was me, I'd start hitting on his sister or mom, get in good with either of them, do the nasty if you MUST, so you can get the real information on how this dude got his guitar.

Yes, investigation is difficult business, but your rewards will be...........uh, I guess I can't really see what kind of rewards you're going to get.[/quote']

No sir, he has never stepped foot out of California in his life (or so I heard). And I wouldnt do that with his parents especially not his mom (btw Im gay) and his family doesnt know anything about guitars or any instruements for that matter nor (not to be a jackass so dont call me out on this) does he have the money for a custom. I have a job and I saved for years to buy a Standard and all of a sudden this kid comes out with a Custom, its weird and he said everything on that guitar is stock.

Archived