Gibson Brands Forums

Used Jeep - $900.00 - what do you think?

Gilliangirl

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1431690289.html

The guy says there's nothing mechanically wrong with it 'as far as he knows'. He said I could take it for a drive around but he's cancelled the insurance on it so needs a bit of a heads up. He says it might need better tires for winter. I asked him if I could take it to my mechanic and he hasn't answered that question. When I asked him if it was mechanically sound, he said 'why are you jumping to conclusions?'

Are these red flags? This buying a car business is scary.

I just told him that I'm a woman and need a reliable vehicle to drive to Longview and back. He's only owned it since summer. He drove it to Regina and back and it ran great for him. He bought a new vehicle and cannot afford insurance on two of them.

If it aint got no electrical problems scarf it...I miss my wittew Jeep what year is it? The ones through the '90's had electrical problems, i.e., relays going all the time wiring issues, check all that schitt.

It's a '91. Can a mechanic check electrical stuff? I won't buy it if he won't let me take it to the mechanic. But I have to be fairly certain that I'm close to buying because the mechanic will charge me about $125.00 for a check up. Plus, up here we have to have inspections on cars older than 10 years so it will need to pass an inspection.

Whats the Problem, its a 750 dollar Car. Get it if you need one.

With a 100,000 plus miles on it, its Going to need Some work.

Go there and Start it and let it Warm up and drive it.

If it Drives nice and the Trans isnt acting up and the Engine

isn't Knocking, Your O.K.

Inspections that are Required check the Chassis/ball joints/tie-rods

Brakes/tires ect.

At the Vary least it will need Ball joints and tie rods and Tires

I have never had a jeep or driven one, but one of my friends had a 90's V8 jeep. Its nice little display in the console was messed up, but other than the obvious electrical problems, it was fine.

From what I know, the jeep its self is built tough.

About the tires, I don't think there really is "Cheap" tires.

Its going to be a pain when I have to get new ones, but that won't be for a while.

Well, I'm still snooping around trying to dig up dirt on this thing. Consumerguides says if it's in poor condition it's not worth more than $200.00. If it's in fair condition, $900.00 to $1200.00. That's a pretty wide range! This one has right bumper damage, bad tires, burnt out tail lights and gawd knows what else.

Ah, I'm going to bed. If it's not there tomorrow, it wasn't meant to be <yawn>

...right bumper damage' date=' bad tires, burnt out tail lights...[/quote']

Like they say in the Big City,"Fugeddaboudit."

Tires will run you at least a hunnert apiece, plus installation, balancing... Burt out tail light bulbs.. or rotted wiring and receptacles?

This one's a fixer-upper. Like a house, unless you are good with tools, let it pass.

When you find something less needy. Seems like you got a good head for this. Next time you find something the looks right, sleep on it then if it still looks right, spend the $125.00 just to be sure. You don't have to share what you know whith the seller, unless he's willing to pay you $125.00 for it.

I dunno, I'd pass on it meself, if it's got all those issues, maybe talk the guy down the money it'd take to get it through inpsection, cuz they're gonna look at lights, brakes, suspension, seatbelts, guages, leaks (depends on the state, R.I. goes through 'em with a comb, Ct. too), all those things gotta be up to snuff. The one I had was an '89 Grand Cherokee, with the straight six, the only problem I ever had with mine was the shift-on-the-fly feature didn't work unless you stopped the thing, put it in 4wd, and roll it backwards/forwards to get it to engage, other than that, ran like a champ! I miss it for forays on the beach to surf cast...sigh...

I have 16 Ford Rangers out in the field. They are operated by mechanic-types, and I insist

that the bodies are straight and there are no mechanical issues with any of them. I sell them

once they reach 150,000 miles. I usually sell them for $1200 to $2000, (maybe less if it's only

a 2-wheel drive). Unfortunately, I don't have any for sale now. I will have a 2-wheel drive

available in January-February, (new budget). And then probably 2 more sometime next year.

So you CAN get a good deal on a really nice vehicle, just bad timing right now.

Bob

GG

There is a lot to go wrong on a 4x4- they have more seals then a aquarium! It's been in a wreck, it has a lot of miles on it, the guy has owned it for a few months and is now dumping it...I see nothing but a repair shop and a large bill in your future.

How much do you have to spend? I think that's where you want to start. There is a Jeep just like this one for sale locally that is owned by a older couple, I think it's a one owner. If you want me to check it out I will. It's looks like it just came off the show room.

GG

There is a lot to go wrong on a 4x4- they have more seals then a aquarium!

HAHAHAHA.... reminds me of the old joke:

Walrus driving down the road and his car breaks down. He pulls into a repair shop and asks the

mechanic to see if he can fix it. Mechanic said he'd look at it in about a hour. Walrus goes off to eat

lunch until the guy can look at his car. After lunch, he decides to buy himself an ice cream. He eats

the ice cream as he walks back to the shop. As he walks in, the mechanic says to him, "Looks like

you blew a seal" the walrus quickly responds, "No...I just ate ice cream!"

Bob

gilliangirl- a couple of things.. You said the "taillights" don't work? (which ones? brakelights, reverselights, directionals, flashers).. Bulbs are cheap, shorts are not!!!

Does it have a valid inspection, if so how long is it good for? If not.. You're more than likely going to have to lay out some money to get it passed...

Tires, at Sears, would run from $75 to $150 each (without alignment).. My oldest son runs a Sears auto shop. He said to bring the truck over and they'll take a good look at it for you (plus he has a couple of them, so he has some knowledge on the trucks). I didn't tell him where you live.. When I told him you were up in Calgary.. He said that you'd probably figure out if anything was wrong by yourself, during the 2400 mile drive to his shop in NY, but he'd get you a good deal on the tires (tyres??)..

Take it to a trusted mechanic.. Get a good idea what it's going to cost you to get a $900 truck (aside from the, at least $300 in, tires/tyres)....

Thanks for the advice and support, guys. I had a dream last night that I was in one of those wind machines trying to hang onto dollar bills! Is that telling or what? LOL The guy still hasn't responded to my question about taking it to my mechanic so that is a deal-breaker for me. And he hasn't emailed me back at all so maybe he's got a wee bit of a conscience in that he doesn't want to lie about its condition. I believe that when the time is right, I'll find something safe and reliable. The downside is that I'm missing out on lots of opportunities to ride horses. Oh well. For now, I'll be driving a 1984 Mazda RX7 with rear wheel drive and twenty-four bricks in the back haha!

When a deal seems too good to be true, it's usually neither true, nor a good deal.

When someone selling you something is "less than forthcoming" about that thing.....

.....ask yourself why that could be the case - as you walk away, or better yet, run away.

As a girl I SO feel ya, not that guys don't get screwed too in the car dep.

My suggestion is look for an asian car like mine, KIA RIO...so cheap looking but SO reliable and the gas is dirt cheap.

Hell, I see 80s Toyotas all over and they seem to have withstood the test of time.

In the end when someone asks for $X you should offer about half or a little over.

He said $900, I would have offered $550 and watched his reaction. If he agrees, you can still decline.

Cars can be such a nightmare to find, good luck!

Archived