Gibson Brands Forums

Audio Interface

djroge1

I bought one to play around with made by M AUDIO called "Fast Track". The whole bundle came with speakers, software and mic for around $120. I have Mac so I record through Logic Pro and I became so lost that I finally gave it up. If I am going to record, I need something simple, not the labyrinth of Logic Pro. So as long as you know your software, the Fast Track is incredibly easy to use and pretty cheap. I think I may sell mine on ebay in these next few days if you're interested.

I also have the M-Audio fast-Track, IT IS NOT WINDOWS FRIENDLY

I have had so many problems with it that I also gave up...

Me and my friend send it back and forth, and on Mac it runs great. But windows has some problems detecting/running it properly

Now heres a better suggestion, I have a Digitech RP-150.

It has a USB out, and being cheaper than a lot of Audio I/O's, and much easier to use, I would fully recommend one.

Plus you get a Multi effects pedal too!

You could try any of the cheaper interfaces, which come with light editions of major software providers.

I have an Edirol UA - 4fx. It is simple, easy to use and comes with a VERY light edition of Sonar. If it is just you, it is great. However, not so good for bands, as it has limited inputs. Once you get more experienced though, the software is lacks things like drum loops etc., so you can upgrade later.

I said this the other day in another thread but I use the M-Audio Firewire 1814 (2 1/4" inputs and 2 XLR inputs) - I don't think its available anymore but M-Audio is sure to have a replacement model. I've been using it for 3 years now and love it.

I've always found when you plug in directly you get an oversaturated, almost digital sound of distortion rather than the true distortion of the guitar/amp you're using.

Whenever I can, I like to mic up my amp and record that way but it definitely involves more space (I.E. You shouldn't be in the same room as the mic lest it picks up your picking and breathing....hehe)

When I can't do that, I use my Line 6 Pedalboard....RP5000 maybe? Can't remember....has some cool stuff on it.

thanks for the input.

I'm looking at riffworks because that was mentioned in the thread about a Lounge Album so I'm trying to figure the easiest way for me to be able to work with Roger and Milod on this project.

I normally use a Boss BR1600 for all of my work but we need to be able to share our work.

I got an Edirol audio interface. Got it initially to record old tapes before they're gone - and it'll work with vinyl, etc.

It's a USB interface, run it through Audacity. Stereo in, stereo out; 1/8 inch earphones out.

Use the "line out" from the acoustic amp. Works fine. Depending on where the wires go, it even sounds decent. No drivers to worry about if you use the "right" setting in Audacity.

In fact, you can run a mike thru the amp and get decent overall sound guitar and voice.

My "baby" brother (28 years younger) who works for Uncle Bill G doing multimedia stuff even sez it doesn't sound bad to him if you use decently protected wiring on the thing. Good enuf for me 'cuz he knows a helluva lot more than I do.

I think he uses Soundforge, or did. Mostly records keyboard stuff. Aint' my "thing," and I certainly don't play his "thing" but it sounds very good, well-balanced and clean.

m

Does that have a USB Connector? It should work with the non-line6 version of riffworks

After looking at the manual on the BR-1600 it does have USB connection but it says that is only to be used for back up and not for live recording.

Hmmmmm.....

You guys are making me think a bit. If I can record nicely to my computer from the amp via USB... Hmmmm. Why shouldn't a laptop be able to lay down basic tracks to play over for a solo gig that's still all the same guy......

Hmmmmm.

m

Yeah, but the "engineer" in a studio has a number of advantages. Heck, I've seldom heard even a high end "live" recording that was half the quality of a studio setting.

OTOH, I'm questioning that run thru the amp from a PC that a basic "rhythm" thing would be that much worse, and might possibly sound better, in a live venue than some full live performances depending on equipment, etc.

m

• 2 weeks later...

Well after looking on the web a little I'm considering the Alpha by Lexicon. It comes with a copy of Cubebase LE. I don't know if its just a 90 day trial version or not. It cost aroun $80.

Any experience with this from you guys?

What are some other sites that may provide reviews?

Lexicon Alpha

Archived