Gibson Brands Forums

The best Les Paul model...

Alekseriator

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the early '70s Les Paul Deluxe but my favorite LP has to be my 1990 Studio in wine red. One piece mahogony back! Beautiful ebony fingerboard. Full sized trapazoid inlays and gold hardware. Mine has been dressed up with parchment plastic instead of black and gold top hat knobs. Of course best guitar would have to be my 1968 ES335. I am the original owner and this 41 year old baby is just like when I bought it! Honorable mention goes to my pristine (2005) '61 SG reissue.

Les Paul Custom; it has the looks, feel and tone.

It has all the usual LP characteristics, with added bite and clarity.

The ebony board plays like butter as well. I've played countless Standards and Customs (including all the other models) and while they all sound great in their own way with their individual characteristics, the Custom always seems to have something special that the others don't seem to offer...at least not for me (as far as tone AND feel are concerned).

My 2008 Les Paul Custom weighs exactly 8.8 lbs/weight relieved and it's the best Les Paul I've ever played and without a doubt the best purchase I've ever done. I already know I won't ever find a LP that sounds and plays better in my book. It's irreplaceable. It has a great naturel bite and tone is thick, ballsy and bright at the same time. It screams in a vocal way and the tone really 'breathes'. My 1989 LPC has bite as well, but it's nowhere near as open, dynamic and vocal as my 2008 LPC.

The two best Les Pauls I've ever played are fortuitously on the light side (both between 7-9 lbs).

Peace,

'Greeny'

I've gotta sign on with the Les Paul Custom devotees. I have an Alpine White Custom that I just recently got and LOVE. Everything about that guitar screams rock and roll...especially the 490/498 pickup pairing. I think those beat the hell out of the Burstbucker Pros that are in the current Standards and also in one of my DC Pros.

I agree with the assessment above about the Les Paul Ultima. The quilted top is freakin sweet, but the flame inlay just seems to overdue it. No offense, but I think the guitar would be more aesthetically pleasing with split block inlays a-la Les Paul Supreme.

Heresy!!! I owned 2 Customs made back in the medium old days, a '69 and a '71. Both were very good, but my '02 LP Special is better to my fingers and my ears.

May be looking for another one soon.

mark

• 2 weeks later...
The Les Paul DC Pro is my weapon of choice. They are so great why were they deep sixed? Glad I got mine when I did. It is my top choice for a blues guitar.

I have a pair of DC Pros that are great guitars and I too wish they weren't tanked, but that's not saying there aren't some things I think would have improved that model, specifically a 50's profile neck, an ebont fretboard and different pickups, perhaps 490R/498T or 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus and some neck binding.

They all have different personalities. I happen to like flamey 1960 Les Pauls, I also have a 1957 Les Paul Custom and the neck is nice and not chuncky fat like they make they 57 R.I.'s I wonder why they make the Custom RI's necks so fat and horrible, they are fat and get fatter as they go up the neck.

I guess the best les Pauls are the ones that paly and sound great. I have a 1997 RI that sounds better than my original 1958 Goldtop and it plays better as well.How do you post pictures on this site?

I have 3, a standard, a peter frampton beauty, and a 83 black studio custom with binding and PAF pickups. I love them all, they all have their own character. Honestly the studio custom is probably played more, because those pickup's are just awesome! They are all heavy, but I like them that way. I also have sg's, but that is another world! I agree with the prior posts about it's all about the one you are most comfortable with and you like the best. Eventually I want a R9 and a custom root beer, but that has to wait for now.......................

I'll have to go with the CUSTOM...my silverburst being #1 (with 57' Classic buckers) . Deluxe for 2nd and Standard for 3rd. I also have one Classic which I love very much. .....it's a bit hard to put any model down really......Les Paul is just generally great.

Archived