Gibson Brands Forums

Arlo Guthrie

TWilson

It seems like ages since I went to a live concert. The local high school here is brand new and they built a fine little theater here with live performances and the general community in mind. Acoustically great, small venue, stadium seating in the balcony so it's all close and personal. I was in the center, 4th row of the upper section and I could have hit Arlo with a tennis ball if I was so inclined. Anyway, it was just Arlo, a stool, a rack with 4 guitars to his left and a giant electric keyboard behind him. He called it " The Arlo Guthrie Solo Reunion Tour". He was funny and witty as he always was. He had a blue 12- string, about the color of Nids Gospel, a Martin dread 12-string, a Martin OM-size guitar that he played a lot and sounded great, and the one in the front of the rack which just drove my GAS over the edge. It was a 'burst, SJ-200 looking thing, vine inlay, lots of abolone on the headstock and a J-200 size pickguard but it was a reddish color, white border and had a white etched design all over it. A guy in our row gave me his binoclulars as he heard me crowing about it. It was absolutely gorgeous!! In summaation, sorry to go on and on, but this was an enjoyable, very intimate little concert and his singing and playing were impressive. I didn't remember that he was such a great finger picker. He had great stories and it was a totally impressive evening. Ate Bar-b-Qued ribs with friends then WALKED 10 minutes to the show. A great night! Thanks for your indulgence. Go see him if he gets near you. He is an old fart, though, I found out that he's 2 1/2...............................months older than me!!

I found this on youtube. It's a little grainy, but if you view it full-screen it eventually shows a close look at this guitar. It's the same one he played last night. (I'm obviously still a little pumped about it!)

Arlo rules!

I've never been fortunate enough to see or hear him live, but I remember watching him in many video performances, including Woodstock.

One in particular was a concert series show called Soundstage, that used to run on PBS when I was growing up.

He was in his prime, and I was mesmerized.

He taught me how to play "City of New Orleans" and it's still one of my favorite songs to play.

I never got into his day Woody, that much, but there is no denying that they are both American icons.

Thanks for the YOUTUBE link' date=' Terry. That's a great sounding guitar!

Heck, let's have a better look at it..

http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/news/arlogibson.gif[/quote']

Hoss, is that YOUR guitar? Yes, it really sounded great live. It's a bit blingy but it just sort of grabs me. I'm heading for the GAS-X right now!! lol[/size

Edited to ask Hoss this question: Hoss, what is this model called? Is it a custom? Can I get one? Am I nuts?!!!

Terry- that is Arlo's Guitar, a J200 Vine. The Bozeman crew presented it to Arlo during one of his visits to the factory. As he was quoted: " I love the way it sounds. Even if you never saw it you'd say "boy, that sounds like a great instrument".."

I've never been bowled over by J's- altho a picking buddy out here has an early 60's J that is a great sounding guitar. However, I sure like the sound of Arlo's!

Archived