Gibson Brands Forums

Latest project

djroge1

I'm building 2 amps for a couple of working musicians (no one is not Murph).

I just happened to be on the right forum at the right time to get in on an order of chassis so they are building 25 I think and I'm supposed to get 2 of them.

This time I bought some 1/8" G-10 fiberglass board and I have to cut them to size, drill them, and put the eyelets in. Then I'll populate the boards. This G-10 stuff is hard to work with and probably worth the $$ to pay someone else to cut them to size. I've not drilled any yet so that will be new too.

My wife also bought me an early Christmas present to help - a small drill press. Here are some pics of the boards and the tools to cut them to size. Oh and I learned from other amp builders it's easiest to score the G-10 with a carbide tipped scoring knife and then break them.

IMG_0204_0351_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0229_0353.jpg

Here's a shot of the drill press with a G-10 board

IMG_0230_0354.jpg

These boards are the power boards and I just placed some caps on to see the size. You can see the eyelets and the eyelet tool. Also to the side are some 1/16" boards I'll use for the rectifier and relay boards.

IMG_0231_0355.jpg

Sprague Caps - quality stuff only

IMG_0232_0356.jpg

Your the real deal. Do you only use amps you make?

No I'll play any equipment I can. I wouldn't and cannot buy them all, but I'll play them.

I also have a solid state Fender amp and a digital recorder with amp simulators.

However, with the guys I'm playing with now the answer is yes I only use my amps.

Nice. I just finished building an amp that was based on the hoffman amp designs. Unfortunately I have no skill in building the housing or tolexing. It's just a chassis sitting on top of a speaker cab. I did the bassman design but I used resistor values in the preamp of a plexi. It sounds good.

Nice. I just finished building an amp that was based on the hoffman amp designs. Unfortunately I have no skill in building the housing or tolexing. It's just a chassis sitting on top of a speaker cab. I did the bassman design but I used resistor values in the preamp of a plexi. It sounds good.

Yeah I'm not a cabinet builder either so I'll buy a pre-made head cab for these or I know a couple of guys who are wood workers and may ask them to build something for me.

Right now I have a Ceriatone OTS (Dumble #124 clone) sitting on top of my amp cab.

Here is a Dumble 124 wire diagram. This is for a real 100watt "D" style amp. I'm making 50watt versions loosly based on Ceriatone's OTS with some changes just so I'm not stealing Nik's design. You can check out his diagram in the 2nd pic.

Best_Dumble124_Layout1.jpg

OvertoneODSLayout-1.jpg

Archived