Gibson Brands Forums

Remember your first amp?

Basshole

This got me to thinking...... Why does almost nobody talk about Gibson or Epi amps on a Gibson forum ...

I don't know. It's a pity really.

I have mentioned a few times that one of my own favorite amps of all time is my 1966 Epiphone Electra (EA26-RVT). This is the same amp as the Gibson Minuteman (GA-20 RVT) from the same period. It uses two EL-84s and cranked to ten it is just loud enough un-miked for a small blues band gig. It has a nice sounding reverb and a deep, lush tremolo. Best $75 I ever spent!

My first "Amp" was my Portable Stereo (aka Ghetto Blaster) that happened to have a 1/4 inch Mic Jack. That and a TS-10 as a pre-amp was it for almost a year.

My first Real Amp was this Fender Deluxe 85, and I still Have It! A little Road Worn, but the Dirty side still works great.

2673903620100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

My first amp was a Roland JC-120 and I played a Gibson S1 and a Marauder ( upgraded with a pair of Dirty Fingers ) through it, not at the same time, although I have been called an octopus in some situations +:-@

My current sweet spot is a Marshall JVM-410 head sitting on 2 boxes containing 25watt vintage greenback reissues, and I have a Custom Shop 335 Limited Edition, a '57 LP 3pup reissue, a vintage Strat and a supercharged tele. Man, these things are loud :D/

I heard that you could take a radio, locate a diode, and bridge an input acrossed it to turn it into an amp. It worked! It wasn't very loud, but it worked fine in a bedroom. Of course this was when radios had diodes. I then got a Sunn 1X12 wich was a horrible solid state amp

I still have it....a 65 DELUXE REVERB !!!!

There has been many amps that have come and go but I always end up back with the DELUXE REVERB and or my PRINCETON REVERB or 57 TWIN DELUXE.

Gibson's and Fender amps are like soup and sandwich....they just belong together !!!

StJames

My 1st. was a '65 Univox (ser# 235)"Made in Great Brittain" (pre-Japan) 105w 4ch. Reverb head (all tube, of course)

with the matching 8x12 Celestion loaded single cabinet.

I still have it, but it needs a complete overhaul........IT'S A FRIGGIN MONSTER !!!!!!!!!

ignore the "poser" standing in front of it, thats just me........

gypsy.jpg

My very first amp was a 15 watt Squier Amp and I loved it so much. Then my neighbour Rob lent me his Sessionette 75. Shortly afterwards I upgraded to a Peavey Backstage plus and bought a Boss Feedback distortion pedal. It was really cool you pressed it, when you wanted feedback and you got it LOL!

Matt

the only amp i have is a crappy 10-watt solid state fender practice amp i got at my local music store for $50 bucks.... its broken.... but my next purchase of any gear (well after i buy my lovepedal eternity) is gonna be either a bugera v55 head and cab or a fender hot rod deville 4x10

Archived