Gibson Brands Forums

Loose pickups on a ES-335

ehrmann

I got this guitar a little while ago, and I noticed one of the pickups felt a little springy when I pressed down on it. When I finally opened it up, I saw that the cause was some of the glue/epoxy that attached the bracket to the pickup housing was loose.

pu2v.jpg

pu1b.jpg

Sorry about the horrible quality photos. Here's a sketch of what it looks like (the yellow is the glue):

sketchgx.png

Basically, some of the glue is loose, so the pickup sit higher on one side than they should and are a little springy.

So my question: What should I do? It's a '77, so I don't want to do anything too extreme to it, and the the pickups in those have an extra lead for the coil tap switch. Googling around, I found that those aren't easy to find replacements for.

I also have a '77 335 TD, hence my name here.

My pickups do rock on the springs, but I've never looked at the underside with any scrutiny, just to clean. Next time I change strings, I'll take a good close look.

I agree with Muddville, a qualified tech is best. Ask other musicians in your area, where they would take their guitars for work. A "Music Store", is the last place I'd look. Word of mouth goes a long way.

Just my .02

I got this guitar a little while ago' date=' and I noticed one of the pickups felt a little springy when I pressed down on it. When I finally opened it up, I saw that the cause was some of the glue/epoxy that attached the bracket to the pickup housing was loose.

pu2v.jpg

pu1b.jpg

Sorry about the horrible quality photos. Here's a sketch of what it looks like (the yellow is the glue):

sketchgx.png

Basically, some of the glue is loose, so the pickup sit higher on one side than they should and are a little springy.

So my question: What should I do? It's a '77, so I don't want to do anything too extreme to it, and the the pickups in those have an extra lead for the coil tap switch. Googling around, I found that those aren't easy to find replacements for.

Wait, if the glue is loose on one side, and sits higher on one side, can't you just adjust the pickup height, so that they are equal, and whenever you adjust heights just factor in the difference due to glue loss?

If you mean resecuring the pickup to the bracket, then I would use a simple quick drying glue, to glue it to the bracket, although if the securing of the pickup is the problem then I would take it to a tech.

Had to tell ya, that sure is a beautiful guitar ya have there!

And left handed to boot!

Thanks. They're not easy to find, and looking at some other vintage guitars, its condition is amazing for being 32 years old, though it has enough character to let me know it's been played.

Wait, if the glue is loose on one side, and sits higher on one side, can't you just adjust the pickup height, so that they are equal, and whenever you adjust heights just factor in the difference due to glue loss?

That's what I'll probably do until I get a chance to take it tech and have him take a look at it. What originally worried me was that the springiness meant the pickup might fall into the cavity in the block, but now that I've looked at the actual pickup, the most it will do is fall into the bracket where it's supposed to be.

Archived