Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom or Dark Fire ???

krmedbr

Hello,

I am having quite a difficult decision choosing between these two guitars. I have had the opportunity to only play the custom, since in Poland, there are no Dark Fires on store shelves....

I can purchase the Les Paul Custom in cherry sunburst for $4200 including taxes. Is this a fair (best) price I can get?

The only reason I would choose the Dark Fire, is because of the technology and capability of producing many different chameleon tones... On the other hand there are about 50+ different versions of the Les Paul custom and I don't know which is the best in terms of tone for (BLUES). Also, which one keeps value most as far as resale? I'm a little afraid that in 3 years Gibson will make another Robot 3 or Dark Fire version 2 with less problems the current one has. I think the custom will always be the same?

I would appreciate some input from guitarists who have either played both or own both guitars. Thanks !

Here is the Les Paul Custom I am interested in....

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom/Finishes.aspx

Are you in Poland or San Diego?

If you're in Poland, what are you going to do with that Darkfire when it breaks down?

There are really only three Customs.

1. The one you posted, which has a weight-relieved mahogany body, maple top, short neck tenon, 490/498 pickups, Gibson USA electronics.

2. The '54 & 57 Custom reissue, which have a solid-mahogany body, mahogany top, Burstbucker pickups & upgraded electronics.

3. The '68 Custom reissue, which has a solid-mahogany body, mahogany top, '57 Classic pickups & upgraded electronics.

This may help you, have a read. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

That's a horrible price for a Custom. Here's a rough idea on what the guitar is worth the moment you buy it.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/msg/1433187059.html

NO CONTEST THE CUSTOM..........HANDS DOWN

THE CUSTOM IS THE PINNACLE OF NEWER PAULS,MY FAV OF COURSE IS MY 61 LES PAUL CUSTOM ...ACTUALLY AN SG !!!!!

YOU ALL HAVE HEARD OF THE BLACK BEAUTY WELL AT THE TIME THEY ALSO MADE A WHITE BEAUTY THAT WENT PRETTY MUCH UNKNOWN

AFTER TALKING WITH LES PAUL AT THE IRRIDIUM ONE NIGHT WITH JOE PERRY LES WAS CHEWING US INTO GUITAR HEAVEN WITH HIS COOL STORIES AND TOLD US OF THIS RARE BEAUTY AND THEN GAVE ME A NUMBER OF SOMEONE WHO HAD ONE FOR SALE..

WHAT IS IT .,......IT'S THE SAME AS A BLACK BEAUTY BUT INSTEAD OF 3 HUMBUCKERS IT IS WHITE AND HAS 3 P-90;'S

IT DID NOT SELL WELL ONCE THE HUMBUCKERS CAME OUT P-90 'S WERE USED IN SPECIALS, SPECIAL ORDER PAULS, AND JR;S AND FIREBIRDS.

WHEN I GOT THIS BABY HOME THE TONE WAS KILLER AND WAS THE AX THAT MADE ME SEARCH FOR EVER TO FIND A 66 FIREBIRD 3 WITH 3 P-90;S IN IT...'

IN TV WHITE WITH A LYRE MAESTRO ON IT IT rocks, screams AND CAN ALSO LULL YOU AWAY WITH THAT GREAT P-90 TONE !!!

LOOK IT UP IN LES'S BOOK IN HIS OWN WORDS ALSO IN THE LES PAUL THE LEGACY THERE ARE TWO ONE FROM 1936-195? AND THEN PART 2 PICKS UP AT THE END IF THE FIRST AND GOES TO PRESENT,

OH YEAH SO MY ANSWER IS THE CUSTOM THE DARK FIRE WILL BE GONE IN 3 YEARS IF IT LASTS THAT LONG !!!IMO

CHEERS

St James

I'm a lucky Dark Fire owner. It is a fantastic guitar, does a lot of really cool things- the Chameleon Tones, tuning etc. That being said, it is electronics making those great noises for you- electronics that will, I'm certain go bad at some point. Then you'd be left with one sweet looking LP- something like a standard. Now, a LP Custom will always be exactly what it is- no more, no less. If you want to change tunings in less than 5 seconds or mess with Chameleon tones, etc, the Dark Fire is the way to go. If you want back to basics Les Paul sound, then the Custom is the way to go. They really are two different beasts. But, if you end up looking at the customs, why not take a look at an R8, too?

Are you in Poland or San Diego?

This may help you' date=' have a read. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

That's a horrible price for a Custom. Here's a rough idea on what the guitar is worth the moment you buy it.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/msg/1433187059.html[/quote']

So what is a good price for a Brand New Custom?

Also, you made weight reduced sound like a bad thing, how much different/better sound does the reissue/chambered custom have?

3. The '68 Custom reissue' date=' which has a solid-mahogany body, mahogany top, '57 Classic pickups & upgraded electronics.

[/quote']

This is the one to get , Even if you don't live in Poland! The guts of the Dark Fire look like something out of a sci fi flick. Looks like expensive maintenance to me, that is if it breaks down.

So what is a good price for a Brand New Custom?

First off' date=' where do you live? Prices in Europe are much different than in the states.[/color']

Also, you made weight reduced sound like a bad thing, Weight-relief isn't a bad thing. I wrote it that way and underlined certain things because people can't comprehend their 1988, or 1994, or 2005 Les Paul Standard or Custom has a weight-relieved body. Everybody thinks their Les Paul is solid. how much different/better sound does the reissue/chambered custom have? That's for you do decide. If you can, make an effort and try a few guitars before you start spending money

I live in Europe, but I am asking about U.S. prices since I am home in the next month. Plus, depending on exchange rates, sales, sometimes I can buy things cheaper here, even a Gibson... (thats even including crazy 22% VAT !) So my question about the custom regards U.S. price.

I have tried the Les Paul Custom, not any reissue's since they don't have it here in the store...

Thanks =)

The DARK FIRE I am sure hazs it;s advantages but the LP CUSTOMS hold ther prices and ya get NO MOREOR NO LESS wsell that depends on whazt your wiring skills are?

You'll be surprised on what one can do with 4 conductor leads..JIMMY PAGES PAUL had 4 Seymour Dunacn 59 pups with 4 wire leads with 4 push /.pull pots leaving you about 250 different tones.

I have several ax;s that I keep in OPEN G OPEN C AND OPEN E AND DADGAD.

If ya wanna learn something NEW about getting a great tone go to GIBSON>COM and search for TONE TIP #33 !!!!

I just like old fashioned GEEETARS...the FENDERZ VGm, THE ROBOT and eventually as ya said the DARK FIRE will all be broken and have to be stripped won. Look at the guys who wanted the first edition ROBOTS for 3500.00 now they sell for 1700.00 on EBAY NEW IN A BOX !!!

Fender VG"S strats sold for 2200.00 now seel for 999.00 not bad as long as ya rip it all out and use it as a STANDARD STRAT !!

What is the SIMPLEST GUITAR YOU KNOW OF..THE TELE RIGHT......in 51 years it has NOT CHANGED AT ALL...bottom line if it;s not broken don't fix it.

Gibson;s R& D department has come out with a ton of junk in the past few years....the VEGAS<MENACES VIXENS. AND THE LIST GOES ON

I understand your chameleon tones but honestly I hate pedals...sure I use a TS 808 and a BBE SONIC STOMP and WAH WAH and at times a SWOLLEN PICKLE, But IMHO NOTHING beats the tone of OLD WOOD plugged into a BLACKFACE AMP!!

I have friends who uses those pods and synth;s but then ya lose the tone of a GEEETAR !!

Bu that is what gives us all our signature sound. SO I am glad you like your DARK FIRE so you can sound DIFFERENT than others......I tune up a tad FLAT and use a bit of echo and extra heavy reverb for a HAUNTED SOUND.

SO if your tone is what inspires you then you have the right guitar for you !!!!

It;s nice that we can all agree to disagree for none of us will learn a thing if we don't respect each others ideas and knowledge especially if that knowledge is measured in years of playing time.

Next time I am at my buddies store I'm gonna make a point of trying on of em to hear what they are capable of.

Are they a CUSTOM SHOP AX????

St James

• 2 weeks later...

Archived